Windows 10: The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

Discus and support The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If when you try log on to a computer that is running Windows 10 in a domain environment, and you receive the error message The trust relationship... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 23, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

If when you try log on to a computer that is running Windows 10 in a domain environment, and you receive the error message The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed, then this post is intended to help you with the most suitable solution to resolve the issue.

The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed [​IMG]

This error occurs because of a “password mismatch.” In Active Directory environments, each computer account also has an internal password – if the copy of the computer account password that is stored within the member server gets out of sync with the password copy that is stored on the domain controller then the trust relationship will be broken as a result.

If you’re faced with this issue, you can try our recommended solutions below in no particular order and see if that helps to resolve the issue.

1. Reconnect the computer to the Domain
    2. Re-establish Trust
    3. Add Domain Controller to Credential Manager
    4. Reset Computer Account

Let’s take a look at the description of the process involved concerning each of the listed solutions.

1] Reconnect the computer to the Domain

This solution as recommended by Microsoft requires you to simply reconnect the computer failing to log on, to the domain.

To reconnect the computer to the domain, do the following:

• Log on to the client computer with a local administrator account.
    • Right-click This PC and choose Properties.
    • Choose Advanced system settings in the left pane to open System Properties window.
    • Click Computer Name tab.
    • Click Change button.
    • In the Computer Name/Domain Changes window, check Workgroup under the Member of heading and type a workgroup name.
    • Click OK to confirm.
    • Enter the name and password of an account with permission to remove this computer from the domain.
    • Click OK and restart your computer as prompted.
    • Next, log back to your computer with a local administrator account and navigate to Computer Name/Domain Changes window again.
    • Now, check Domain under Member of section this time.
    • Type the name of the domain.
    • Click OK.
    • Now, enter the account and password of a domain administrator account.
    • Click OK to confirm.
    • Restart computer.

On boot, you can log on with your domain user account successfully.

2] Re-establish Trust

This solution requires you to re-establish trust between the domain controller and client to resolve The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed issue. Here’s how:

• Press Windows key + X to open Power User Menu.
    • Tap A on the keyboard to launch PowerShell in admin/elevated mode.
    • In the PowerShell console, type in or copy and paste the command below and hit Enter:

$credential = Get-Credential
    • Input the user name and password of the domain administrator account into the Windows PowerShell credentials request pop-up login dialog.
    • Click OK.
    • Next, type or copy and paste the command below into PowerShell window and hit Enter:

Reset-ComputerMachinePassword -Credential $credential
    • Once the command executes, exit PowerShell.
    • Restart computer.

Now, you can use domain user account to log on your device and check if the issue is fixed.

3] Add Domain Controller to Credential Manager

This solution requires you to simply add the domain controller to the Credential Manager.

To add Domain Controller to Credential Manager, do the following:

• Press Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
    • In the Run dialog box, type control and hit Enter to open Control Panel.
    • Navigate to User Accounts > Credential Manager.
    • Choose Windows Credentials.
    • Click Add a Windows credential.
    • In the dialog window, enter the address of the website or network location and your credentials.
    • Click OK button to save the changes.
    • Restart computer.

You should now be able to log on to your computer in the domain environment without problem.

4] Reset Computer Account

This solution requires you to reset the account of the computer which throws the error message.

To reset the computer account, do the following:

• Press Windows key + R to invoke the Run dialog.
    • In the Run dialog box, type dsa.msc and hit Enter to open Active Directory User and Computers console.
    • Double-click the domain name to expand.
    • Choose Computer.
    • In the right pane, right-click the computer account that failed to connect to the domain
    • Choose Reset Account.
    • Click Yes to confirm the operation.
    • Restart computer.

Hope this helps!

The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed [​IMG]
    This article The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 23, 2021
  2. csherman1 Win User

Trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

We have an employee that reset the password on the front desk computer running Windows 10 by pressing ctrl-alt-delete, reset password. Once attempting to login with the new password the error message was displayed "Trust relationship between this workstation
    and the primary domain failed." We were able to get on the computer by unplugging from the network, rebooting and using the old password to login. Once logged in how can we now reestablish the trust between this workstation and the domain? I have looked at
    many fixes online but most of them are Windows 7 related and this machine was upgraded to 10. Our server is a small business 2011. Please help!

csherman1, May 23, 2021
  3. Trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

I want to know the root cause for trust relationship error so please let me know which logs to check to find out exact reason for workstation-domain trust relationship error.

I want to identify issue using the logs available in workstation machine.

vishalkhatpe, May 23, 2021
  4. DanSingh1 Win User

Remote Desktop Connection: "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" error when you log in to Windows 10

Remote Desktop Connection: "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" error when you log in to Windows 10.

worked all the time until this morning.

DanSingh1, May 23, 2021
Thema:

1. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed - Similar Threads - trust relationship between

2. the trust relationship between this work station and the primary domain failed message...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    the trust relationship between this work station and the primary domain failed message...: i follow the resolution via the link of "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed" error when you log in to Windows 7 - Microsoft Supporthowever next day i login to my computer , it appear " the trust relationship between this work station...
  3. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed when...: Hello,I have 1 user who when the user either leaves her device for too long, is idle on the [servername] server, or whether they just sign-out. Intermittently when she’s trying to reconnect she gets either of the following messages, this then requires her to reboot to be able...
  4. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed when...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed when...: Hello,I have 1 user who when the user either leaves her device for too long, is idle on the [servername] server, or whether they just sign-out. Intermittently when she’s trying to reconnect she gets either of the following messages, this then requires her to reboot to be able...
  5. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed when...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  6. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed --> can't get...

The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed --> can't get...: Hi,I am trying to log into my pc as usual, but I get the following error: "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed".This never happened before.Now I cannot start my pc: I want want to log on to our network/server, I get the previous...
  7. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed --> can't get...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed --> can't get...: Hi,I am trying to log into my pc as usual, but I get the following error: "The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed".This never happened before.Now I cannot start my pc: I want want to log on to our network/server, I get the previous...
  8. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed --> can't get...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  9. the trust relationship between this workstation and the domain failed

the trust relationship between this workstation and the domain failed: I am trying to map to a share on a VMware virtual server and I keep getting the trust relationship between this workstation and the domain failed error message. I have tried every conceivable suggestion on the web to resolve this issue including adding removing the computer...
  10. The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed

The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed: Hi Hopefully someone can point me towards a solution that will stick as this has been an ongoing issue for a while now and nothing i have tried has worked or has lasted. The issue first started about 18 months ago on a few machines while we were running Windows 7 Clients...