Windows 10: the two routers one ssid problem

Discus and support the two routers one ssid problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Today i was trying to configure my TV Smartbox (Horizon mediabox from Ziggo), which is also a router, to match the same SSID as my modem. To explain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by lukelumia950XL, Apr 29, 2016.

1. the two routers one ssid problem

Today i was trying to configure my TV Smartbox (Horizon mediabox from Ziggo), which is also a router, to match the same SSID as my modem.

To explain the situation:
    - I run a cable from the modem to the TV Smartbox router
    - Turned off DHCP on the TV Smartbox router
    - changed the IP adres on the TV Smartbox(192.168.178.1 to match the IP from the Modem(192.168.178.1)
    - Matched the SSID from the TV Smartbox to the modem

The settings:
    These settings are the settings in the TV Smartbox:

the two routers one ssid problem [​IMG]

And the wireless settings in the TV Smartbox:

The settings on the Modem(Dutch, i am sorry):

The wireless settings on the modem(Dutch, i am sorry):

To explain the Problem:
    As far as i know, thats how you do it. But yet it does not "switch".
    If i turn on WIFI and connect next to the Smartbox and speedtest i get 90 Down and 14 Up, but if i walk to the modem and test again, it slows down to 30 Down and 12 Up
    And same if i turn on wifi and connect next to the modem, i get 70 Down and 14 Up, but if i walk to the TV Smartbox and speedtest, i get 20 and 11.

The question:
    Do you guys meaby have any suggestions on how to fix it?

Thnx in advance!

:)

lukelumia950XL, Apr 29, 2016

2. How to add two SSIDs to a single network

I have a network that only shows one SSID. I have a router that broadcasts two SSIDs. How do I add both SSIDs to my network?

ronaldolsen, Apr 29, 2016
  3. 6300i : MAC address filtering & HIDDEN SSIDs

Hi

Has anyone had any experiences positive or negative using MAC filering and HIDDEN SSIDs?

I've had no problems connecting to visible SSIDs but am banging my head against the wall with a HIDDEN SSID. Bizarrely I don't even see in the network list for this particular Netgear router.

Some background - other devices connect OK - including PCs and other Nokia Wifi N series phones.

Other HIDDEN SSID networks are shown when I roam in other locations. Finding networks isn't my problem - its just this one router.... :-|

MAC filtering is on and the phone's MAC address is known to the router.

I've tried adding the router SSID and WPA key manually to the phone, but still no luck.

Has anyone had similar issues and uncovered any "gotchas" I should know about?

Thanks

Gryff

gryff---01, Apr 29, 2016
  4. bro67 Win User

the two routers one ssid problem

You cannot use the same SSID. If all that you are doing is using smartbox as a Access Point. It may not allow if it was intended for DSL or Catv Internet.

Also the IP cannot be the same on two devices. It causes IP conflict.

bro67, Apr 29, 2016
  5. Thank you for your reply,

The Smart box has two modes, one to act like an modem (made for another type of internet subscription). And the one that is currently active, called gateway-mode.

In gateway-mode your plug in a ethernet cable and it will act like an repeater and switch. But the possibilities with the settings are minimum, should i just buy a new router? If so should i look for specific specs or will any do?

What do you btw mean with the same IP? Do you suggest to change the IP of smartbox to 192.168.xxx.2 instead of 192.168.178.2, or make sure the last digit is different?

Thnx in advace again *Wink

lukelumia950XL, Apr 29, 2016
  6. AndreTen Win User
    just the last digit.

Check the channel again. You are actually running smart box as repeater. Look around for third party firmware, like dd-wrt or open-wrt. They allow this operation. On the other side your configuration works somehow...

Edit: if you have cable connection, you should get better results, if you setup second wifi, and let user automatically select where they connect.

AndreTen, Apr 29, 2016
  7. Kyhi Win User
    If you are connecting the router to a cable modem - leave DHCP enabled

The router should find the modem and the DHCP will automatically set the IP for any devices connected to it...

If the Cable Modem is also a Router - then you will have to daisy chain the second router..
    By assigning a static IP address to the second Router and still leave DHCP enabled

8. bro67 Win User

I know how it works when hooking two units up. In order to use the other unit as an A/P, you have to set it to pick up the IP off of the other Gateway and if you are going to access it from the LAN, it needs a proper IP Class C address.

I run my U-Verse Gateway as my main one and the Cisco RV-320 as a "Edge" Gateway. The U-Verse is set for 192.168.1.254/255.255.255.0. The Cisco is set for 192.168.2.1/255.255.255.0 The AP's I use do not handle any DNS, they are set for a Static IP from the Cisco, with all DNS handling done by the Cisco.

bro67, Apr 30, 2016
  9. bro67 Win User
    The only issue that I can think of that could cause problems, is if there is a DMZ+ mode for allowing the Edge router to get a non-firewalled, dup NAT connection to the outside world. The two sets of Dynamic DHCP can confuse some of the devices.

bro67, Apr 30, 2016
  10. sml156 Win User
    It looks like you set everything up properly, Having the same SSID is a good idea and it looks like it is working.

Is the only problem you are having is the speed of the Wifi on the second router, could it be that it is old and can only connect at a maximum speed of 54 MB/s. If that's the case then you probably should buy a more modern router.

I also noticed that you have the Bandwidth set at 20 MHz try setting it to 40, The 40 MHz only works on some channels I think 1,6 and 11

sml156, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. the two routers one ssid problem - Similar Threads - routers ssid problem

2. Two WiFi Router- One SSID - Two Password - 2Different Floor in same building- Interferance

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two WiFi Router- One SSID - Two Password - 2Different Floor in same building- Interferance: Recently, I was visiting a place and rented a hotel room and got into a wired situation:Situation: In the hotel, each floor has separate WiFi routers installed, all the routers have the same SSID eg- XYZ_Hotel_WiFi, but each router has a different password. Issue: The...
  3. Two WiFi Router- One SSID - Two Password - 2Different Floor in same building- Interferance

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Two WiFi Router- One SSID - Two Password - 2Different Floor in same building- Interferance: Recently, I was visiting a place and rented a hotel room and got into a wired situation:Situation: In the hotel, each floor has separate WiFi routers installed, all the routers have the same SSID eg- XYZ_Hotel_WiFi, but each router has a different password. Issue: The...
  4. Router SSID Differents Case Letters on Computer and Router

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Router SSID Differents Case Letters on Computer and Router: My only internet connection is via old AT&T copper phone lines. This requires a "unique" modem that connects via RJ11/12 cable. Somehow my laptop identified the router SSID a xxxX7xxx while the router itself is XXXx7XXX. As a result, the computer cannot connect to the router....
  5. Router SSID Differents Case Letters on Computer and Router

Router SSID Differents Case Letters on Computer and Router: My only internet connection is via old AT&T copper phone lines. This requires a "unique" modem that connects via RJ11/12 cable. Somehow my laptop identified the router SSID a xxxX7xxx while the router itself is XXXx7XXX. As a result, the computer cannot connect to the router....
  6. Router SSID Differents Case Letters on Computer and Router

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Router's SSID Not Showing Up

Router's SSID Not Showing Up: Windows 10 available networks does not show the router that is 10' away on my ASUS ROG G751JT. Shows up on my phones, tablets and various other computers. I booted to Ubuntu and it shows fine on the ROG. The SSID was used on a prior router so I deleted the saved network SSID...
  8. Router's SSID Not Showing Up

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Router's SSID Not Showing Up: Windows 10 available networks does not show the router that is 10' away on my ASUS ROG G751JT. Shows up on my phones, tablets and various other computers. I booted to Ubuntu and it shows fine on the ROG. The SSID was used on a prior router so I deleted the saved network SSID...
  9. Router's SSID Not Showing Up

in Windows 10 Gaming
  10. Problem Connecting Multiple Wifi Routers With Same SSID

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem Connecting Multiple Wifi Routers With Same SSID: Hi, I lives in Pakistan, Here main BroadBand service provider is PTCL. When they install new BroadBand internet connection, they name each router's SSID as "PTCL-BB". Surely, I can change the SSID but as we go to some other place same problem exists. I need to use some...