Windows 10: The type of the file system is RAW, CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives

Discus and support The type of the file system is RAW, CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]CHKDSK is a useful tool when you need to repair bad or corrupt sectors of your hard disk. But at times, when trying to run this Disk... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 9, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

The type of the file system is RAW, CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives

WinClub, Mar 9, 2019

2. Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives.

I have a Lenovo Laptop E531.

After upgrading to Windows 10, I have been running backups for about a week. Now I received a message "File History doesn't recognize this drive."

I tried to run a CHKDSK, and I got this error message: "Chkdsk is not available for RAW drives.."

What happened?

RMadison46, Mar 9, 2019
  3. TrTmaster Win User
    Raw Partitions

Hi Everyone!

A few days ago, I accidentally told the Ubuntu Installer to wipe my Windows 10 partition. I quit the installer, but my partition is now RAW.

What is a RAW Partition?

In Windows, partitions with an unknown filesystem (like my Ubuntu partition) are marked as RAW. In this case, Windows was unable to recognize the filesystem type. Lets say your Windows partition filesystem gets corrupted badly. Windows would mark
    it as RAW. So, in short, a RAW partition is
    not a filesystem, but an error of the partition.

What happens if you have a RAW partition?

It depends. If your primary partition is RAW, Windows will not boot. Period. If an external storage device or other partition is RAW, Windows will ask you to format it. You will not be able to get any data off of this partition.

Is this error fixable?

It seems like it also depends. If your partition's filesystem got really messed up, then no. This will happen:

> The type of this file system is RAW.

> CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.

However, I have seen reports of people fixing a RAW partition. This is what happened:

> The type of this file system is NTFS

> The first NTFS boot sector is unreadable or corrupt.

A little suprising, but this is good. It means that your partition is fixable. The first sector is what caused the RAW error.
    p.s. I used chkdsk to get these errors

How do you fix this error.

First off, you will probably need a Windows Installer device.

If you can get to a command line, skip this part.

Boot from the installer.

Set your keyboard, mouse, etc. Click next.

Click Repair your Computer (bottom-left corner)

Click Advanced Options (or similar)

Now, first, try and use Startup Repair. If Startup Repair works, great! If Startup Repair fails, keep reading.

Open a command line.

Run the following commands in order:

> diskpart

> list volume

This will show you the RAW partition, and what letter it is.

> exit

> chkdsk /r /f D:

Replace D: with the letter from Diskpart.

You should get some errors at the beginning (first sector corrupt). Don't worry, it is actually fixing the second sector!

If that doesn't work, then you are in trouble, and should just reinstall Windows. Sorry

I hope this tutorial was useful. And also, please leave comments if you have another method that worked for you. Thank you!

TrTmaster, Mar 9, 2019
  4. tf2029 Win User

How to convert RAW partition to NTFS partition.

Thanks for your reply. Apparently the convert drive to NTFS doesn't work when the drive is RAW. After following your instructions in step 2 I get message "convert is not available for RAW drives.

Any suggestions?

tf2029, Mar 9, 2019
Thema:

1. The type of the file system is RAW, CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives - Similar Threads - type file system

2. NTFS file system changed to RAW

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NTFS file system changed to RAW: I encountered a power loss during a Microsoft update and now one of my external drives is showing "RAW" instead of "NTFS". I tried to execute the command: "convert K: /fs:NTFS" but it tells me "Drive K: is already NTFS.". Are there multiple places where the file system type...
  3. USB File System is RAW

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    USB File System is RAW: Dear Microsof Community please help me with my problem. My USB OTG suddenly got an error saying "you need to format the disk in drive F: before you can use it" I tried using EaseUs, but other than that I did not try anymore 3rd party application, since majority of them has to...
  4. File RAW

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File RAW: Mi si dice che nel PC c'è una raccolta di file RAW, ma io finora non l'ho trovata. Chi mi sa dire qualcosa? Grazie https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-raw/e1b498f5-d80e-460e-8834-c5de98fb08a3
  5. USB drive RAW

USB drive RAW: It said i need to format the drive to use it,but i dont want to,since there are important files in it,i cant check for disk errors since there was no recognized file system,please help if you can,thanks....
  6. raw hard drive

raw hard drive: hallo I have a hard drive that was gpt ntfs used as secondary drive. (storage) I set a wrong id for the volume and then i understand my mistake and i set again the good id (ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7) But now the ntfs is shown as raw. The check disk show:...
  7. raw hard drive

in Windows 10 Support
    raw hard drive: hallo I have a hard drive that was gpt ntfs used as secondary drive. (storage) I set a wrong id for the volume and then i understand my mistake and i set again the good id (ebd0a0a2-b9e5-4433-87c0-68b6b72699c7) But now the ntfs is shown as raw. The check disk show:...
  8. RAW

RAW: I Just clean my PC removed all software and users ……. I plug in my External Omega drive and it now comes up RAW what can I do to fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/raw/263aafbd-db77-4daf-be89-6f70ef17a1ae
  9. Recovering a "RAW" drive

Recovering a "RAW" drive: Ordinary 6TB HDD plugged into an external carrier, USB3 to the laptop. Worked fine. Had a situation where the power went off and on to the carrier several times and suddenly the HDD says it's NOT formatted, it's a 'RAW' drive. I don't want to recover the 250,000 or so files...
  10. RAW Photo files

RAW Photo files: Just recently upgraded a PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10. This PC will be used strictly for photo processing mostly using Lightroom and Photoshop. Neither Photos or Windows Photo Viewer will open the RAW files on this particular PC. I have three other PC's that have been...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. the type of the file system is raw