Windows 10: The ultimate overview of recent Windows 11 changes

Discus and support The ultimate overview of recent Windows 11 changes in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft released the first version of its Windows 11 operating system at the end of 2021. Development appeared to follow Windows 10's pace in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Mar 14, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

The ultimate overview of recent Windows 11 changes

Microsoft released the first version of its Windows 11 operating system at the end of 2021. Development appeared to follow Windows 10's pace in the first year, but this changed with the release of the Windows 11 2022 Update, as it marked the launch of a new strategy to push features to stable Windows 11 devices multiple times of the year.

The strategic shift allowed Microsoft to release new features and smaller updates more often to the operating system, and to decouple these from larger Windows 11 feature update releases, which would continue to happen once every year.

For Windows users and administrators, the shift means that the operating system may get visible feature changes regularly. While that may be exciting to some, it also can impact workflows or introduce changes that users dislike. Keeping an overview of all these changes may also be difficult.

This overview's intention is to bring everyone up to the current status quo in regards to Windows 11 changes. Microsoft released three main updates to this date:

The Windows 11 2022 Update

The Windows 11 2022 Update is the first feature update for Windows 11. The next feature update will be released at the end of 2023, likely around October 2023.

Microsoft introduced several changes in the update, including improvements to the operating system's new Snap Layouts feature, Focus Mode improvements, the new Variable Refresh Rate and improved windowed gaming features for gamers, several new or updated apps, and a new taskbar overflow feature.

Microsoft did remove the basic Task Manager interface, added support for a dark mode, and moved tabs from the top the left in the update.

Windows 11 Moments Update 1

The ultimate overview of recent Windows 11 changes windows-file-explorer-tabs.png

Microsoft launched the first Moments Update for Windows 11 just a month after the Windows 11 2022 Update; the short period between the two releases may explain why many Windows 11 users were not blown away by the features that Microsoft introduced in the first feature update.

The first Moments Update introduced the long-awaited tabs support in File Explorer. While somewhat limited, it allows Windows 11 users to open multiple directories and locations in a single File Explorer window.

The update introduced support for additional features, including improvements to Suggested Actions, a feature to display direct actions when copying phone numbers or time/date, improved Amazon App Store access, and Share functionality.

Windows 11 Moments Update 2

The ultimate overview of recent Windows 11 changes Windows-11-Review-New-Features-Looking-Ahead-in-2023.jpg

Microsoft released a preview of the second Moments update for Windows 11 in February 2023 and plans to included it in today's cumulative update (the March 2023 update).

This update is considerably larger than the first Moments update. It includes major changes to Windows 11, including new search and taskbar experiences.

Other changes include voice access and scrolling improvements, extended braille support, a new touch-optimzed taskbar for 2-in-1 devices, a new Quick Assist app, and Energy Recommendations in Settings.

Windows 11: future updates

Microsoft confirmed that it will release another Moments update in the first half of 2023, and the next feature update for the operating system in the second half of 2023.

Features that Windows 11 users may see soon include tabs in Notepad, a recommended section in File Explorer for work or school accounts, parallax depth effects for background images, and a better volume mixer. Microsoft may also introduce better repair functionality, and maybe even ReFS support.

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post The ultimate overview of recent Windows 11 changes appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Mar 14, 2023
  2. Sasqui Win User

Overclocking / Undervolting guide for Vega 56 or 64?

Here's a quick laundry list:

List of software to use for overclocking and testing
    Examples:
    Wattman (and how to find and use it, like an overview, including profiles)
    Unigine Valley or Heaven (use this for quick testing while changing settings in Wattman and checking for stability / artifacts) ...just suggesting this
    How to monitor cores / mem speeds and temps during testing (I've seen screen overlays, and others using GPUz)

Step-by step overclocking in Wattman
    Fan speeds
    Power limit
    Temp limit
    Voltages
    Core speeds
    Memory speeds

Sasqui, Mar 14, 2023
  3. Jerry8A Win User
    Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Hello -
    Thanks for the return. Before I undertake changing the Registry, I have a question.
    The steps in my Registry, for my version of Windows 10, were a bit different, but I think I eventually got to the right spot.
    The last step is to change the number of places you want to list in Recent Places. In my case, the default Max Display listed 50 as the number. So, if I were to change that number, how do I know the Save As page will be one of those places? Or, a similar question, will this registry change delete the tab Recent from my Save As page? This is what I would like to happen.
    When I received my computer in Nov. 2016, the Recent tab was not listed in the Save As page. Something caused it to be added over time. Which brings me to this second question. Would there be any benefit in deleting the changed registry listing and reverting back to the default listing? See attachment.
    Jerry

Jerry8A, Mar 14, 2023
  4. The ultimate overview of recent Windows 11 changes

Recent (Save Files) - Change Default Settings to OneDrive

Have you tried the following? how to disable "recent places" in MS Word? - Super User

jaamulberry, Mar 14, 2023
Thema:

The ultimate overview of recent Windows 11 changes

1. The ultimate overview of recent Windows 11 changes - Similar Threads - ultimate overview recent

2. Windows 11 Development: overview of the December 2023 changes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Development: overview of the December 2023 changes: Development of Windows slowed down in the second half of December due to the Holiday season. Still, the first half saw the release of several new Insider builds. The overview begins with a focus on major changes and ends with a list of other changes that Microsoft introduced...
  3. Windows 11 Development: overview of the November 2023 changes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Development: overview of the November 2023 changes: Microsoft announced and introduced several important changes in November 2023. The company released several development builds to testers, which included minor and major changes. Highlights include the promise to make Microsoft Edge, Bing Search and other features removable...
  4. Windows 11 - a Comprehensive Overview

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 - a Comprehensive Overview: Since the beginning of Windows 11, it have had a lot of potential: An astonishing UI which is my favorite one, updated apps which enhance the productivity, great AI integration well, almost great and a lot more features such as the support of Android apps.My experience with...
  5. Windows 11 - a Comprehensive Overview

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 - a Comprehensive Overview: Since the beginning of Windows 11, it have had a lot of potential: An astonishing UI which is my favorite one, updated apps which enhance the productivity, great AI integration well, almost great and a lot more features such as the support of Android apps.My experience with...
  6. Windows 11 Development: overview of the August 2023 changes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Development: overview of the August 2023 changes: The month of August 2023 was a busy one for Windows 11 Insiders. Microsoft released a lot of builds in this month. Highlights include more customization options regarding Edge, Bing Search and data sharing for users from the European Economic Area, native archive file...
  7. Windows 11 Development: overview of the July 2023 changes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Development: overview of the July 2023 changes: Microsoft released several development builds of Windows 11 in July 2023. Highlights this month include a new restore option using Windows Update, integration of passwordless support, changes to File Explorer and the first testing of Rust code in the Windows kernel. Some of...
  8. Windows 11 Development: overview of the June 2023 changes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Development: overview of the June 2023 changes: Another month has passed and it is once again time to look at the Windows 11 development progress. Microsoft released several new builds for the four development channels of Windows 11, and this overview lists the most important ones. This series focuses on Microsoft's...
  9. Windows 11 Development: overview of the May 2023 changes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Development: overview of the May 2023 changes: Microsoft continued the development of the different Insider versions of the Windows 11 operating system in the month of May. The company maintains four developer channels right now: release preview, beta, developer and canary. The company announced recently that it won't...
  10. Windows 11 Development: an overview of the March 2023 changes

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 Development: an overview of the March 2023 changes: Microsoft released several Windows 11 Insider builds for the various development channels that it maintains. Following progress on a day-to-day basis can be quite the time consuming task, as Microsoft releases quite a few builds over the course of the month. In this new...