Windows 10: The USB "Phantom" drive just won't go away.

Discus and support The USB "Phantom" drive just won't go away. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Strange. W10 Pro x64. I was doing some work swapping some USB Flash Drives and mysteriously, the G: drive appeared. Take a look at the image. I can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Compumind, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Compumind Win User

The USB "Phantom" drive just won't go away.

Strange. W10 Pro x64.

I was doing some work swapping some USB Flash Drives and mysteriously, the G: drive appeared.
    Take a look at the image. I can eject the G: drive but it does not go away.

The USB "Phantom" drive just won't go away. [​IMG]

No other USB device is plugged into the unit, except for E: which is a USB 3.0 external HDD.

Any ideas as to the cause and how to get rid of it?

TIA *Rolleyes

:)

Compumind, Nov 24, 2018
  2. fireberd Win User

Phantom USB Drive

Both my Win 10 Pro (production system) and Win 10 Pro Preview versions*list a USB drive (each install is on a separate SSD). There is no USB drive connected and the status code, from what I find, says it is a*"NET" device. I don't have any network connected USB devices. If I uninstall it, in the Device Manger, it will come back either on a reboot or just scan for new hardware.

I posted this before, not on this forum, and never got anything resolved. I had this listed with an old motherboard. I recently upgraded my system to new hardware but the USB device is still listed.

Here are some screenshots from the Device Manger of the Preview system. *My production system shows the same thing.

fireberd, Nov 24, 2018
  3. my n97 won t charge or connect

when i put a usb on my n97 it won t charge when i put on the computer it won t say nokia pc suite or else it not reading the usb cannot work on my phone plz hel

karim71---01, Nov 24, 2018
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

help. USB drive isn't assigned a drive letter.

Any usb flash drive I plug into my computer isn't assigned a drive letter. The physical drive shows in the "safely remove hardware" but it doesnt show up in disk management. I have tried to populate the volume thru the safely remove hardware properties window and it does pop up in the list but it doesn't stay there. This isn't a format or assign a letter problem. It's more complicated then that. Maybe one of the services needed for usb drive management was disabled? Suggestions needed. btw external usb harddrives work fine.

Lazzer408, Nov 24, 2018
Thema:

1. The USB "Phantom" drive just won't go away. - Similar Threads - USB Phantom drive

2. OneDrive won't go away

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OneDrive won't go away: Hey hey!So, I don't like the cloud. I don't want my stuff saved anywhere in the cyberspaces. When I got my compy fixed after my HD bit the dust, upon setting up windows again, I guess I missed the part where it asks you if you want to use OneDrive and stuff started backing...
  3. OneDrive won't go away

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OneDrive won't go away: Hey hey!So, I don't like the cloud. I don't want my stuff saved anywhere in the cyberspaces. When I got my compy fixed after my HD bit the dust, upon setting up windows again, I guess I missed the part where it asks you if you want to use OneDrive and stuff started backing...
  4. Taskbar won't go away

in Windows 10 Customization
    Taskbar won't go away: Hi, The taskbar pops onscreen when one of the open apps has a notification. This is esp problematic with Slack, for example. Everytime I get a new slack message, the taskbar comes up and won't go away until I click on the Slack icon. This is ridiculously inconvenient when I'm...
  5. Drive Errors won't go away

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Drive Errors won't go away: I've been dealing with Drive Errors that haven't gone away. I've inspected the drive and restarted multiple times but they haven't gone away. Every time I try to fix them, it always gives me another notification that there's a drive error....
  6. Taskbar won't go away!

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar won't go away!: Windows 10 / Version 1903 OS build 18.362.778 (64-bit version) I've been having this problem for a while. The taskbar used to occasionally, randomly and regularly stay at the bottom of the screen. It wouldn't hide itself (as it was set up to do) until I opened the Task...
  7. BIOS won't go away

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BIOS won't go away: Hey all! So I was using my computer like normal, editing some photos in Lightroom on Sunday. Then out of nowhere it shut down and went to what I found out was the American Megatrends BIOS screen. From here I just tried to exit but it didn't work. I tried restarting and...
  8. PAGEFAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA won't go away

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PAGEFAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA won't go away: So since about last september I've been getting constant BSODS and they're mostly the same: PAGEFAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA Netwtw06.sys I have Win 10 on a Lenovo IdeaPad 720s. Here's everything I've done: 1. Update all my drivers 2/3. Ran a cfc and chkdsk scans I dont remember...
  9. SmartScreen won't go away

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    SmartScreen won't go away: I've disabled SmartScreen in Edge and Internet Explorer, but it still shows up when I launch games asking me if "Okay" essentially. I want this disabled completely. What do I do?...
  10. Phantom USB Drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Phantom USB Drive: Both my Win 10 Pro (production system) and Win 10 Pro Preview versions*list a USB drive (each install is on a separate SSD). There is no USB drive connected and the status code, from what I find, says it is a*"NET" device. I don't have any network connected USB devices. If I...