Windows 10: The use of an external USB Floppy Drive with Win 10

Discus and support The use of an external USB Floppy Drive with Win 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After reading all the recommended procedures here for getting a USB Floppy Drive to work in Win 10 including the remove and reinstall drivers i have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ralphpitt, Mar 10, 2020.

1. ralphpitt Win User

The use of an external USB Floppy Drive with Win 10

After reading all the recommended procedures here for getting a USB Floppy Drive to work in Win 10 including the remove and reinstall drivers i have come to the following conclusions:

1- the system search ONLY yields that the drivers are current

2- removing drivers in the belief that WINDOWS will reinstall them does NOT reinstall the drivers rather the removed driver is no longer there and the Floppy no longer shows in Device Manager.

The drive will not work in either of my WIN 10 machines nor will the other drive i have..

need to transfer a DOS file retro and need the use of the Floppy.

is there any other help available?

thanks

frustrated...

:)

ralphpitt, Mar 10, 2020
  2. fireberd Win User

Will Win 10 support a 3.5 floppy drive?

I updated my Insider version to the latest version this morning. After updating the Insider version I tried the floppy drive and it failed with the Code 10, connected to a front panel USB port. I have a USB 2.0 powered external hub that I use for some printers and I plugged it into the external hub and it came up working. I restarted the PC with the Insider version and the floppy drive still connected to the external hub but it again came up with Code 10.

I had tried the external hub with my production Win 10 Pro installation before and it didn't work. I've tried it in two other rear I/O panel USB ports (on different internal USB controllers/hubs) and the same there, Code 10. I tried all the options available in the BIOS for the USB connected floppy drive and the three options - Auto, FDD, Forced FDD make no difference. The three options make no difference in Linux either - it recognizes the floppy drive in all 3 options.

The fact it worked one time, says its "close". Nothing else I can find in the BIOS for USB or the floppy drive. Thus it suggests something In Windows - maybe a registry entry?

fireberd, Mar 10, 2020
  3. Noor_Azam Win User
    trying get external iomega floppy drive to work with windows 10

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. What is the current Windows 10 build version installed on your computer?
    2. Are you able to use the Floppy drive on a different computer?
    As there is a prompt on the screen saying the software is loaded, I suggest you to open the Disk Management and see if you are able to see the device under it.

Follow these steps to open Disk Management.

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Disk Management.

Scroll down the Disk management window and check if the Floppy drive is visible, if yes.

• Right click on the Floppy drive.
    • Click on Change drive Letter and Paths.
    • Click on Change.
    • Assign the drive letter you need and click on
      OK
    • Click OK to close the window.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Noor Azam S

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Noor_Azam, Mar 10, 2020
  4. The use of an external USB Floppy Drive with Win 10

floppy drive issues with winidows 10

Thank you for responding.

To resolve the issue, please follow these steps:

• Plug in your external floppy disk drive.
    • Click Start, type Device Manager then hit
      Enter
    • Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers and look for your external floppy disk drive driver and right-click.
    • Click Update Driver Software then Search automatically for updated driver software. Make sure you are connected to the internet.
    • Wait for it to finish the update.

Keep us posted.

Devlin Sco, Mar 10, 2020
Thema:

The use of an external USB Floppy Drive with Win 10

1. The use of an external USB Floppy Drive with Win 10 - Similar Threads - external USB Floppy

2. External floppy drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External floppy drive: Will Microsoft ever come out with a driver to support external floppy drives for windows 10 pro? What have you done to windows 10 & 10 pro? So so many people want a answer. * Moved from Mobile Devices...
  3. USB floppy drive not working on Windows 10

USB floppy drive not working on Windows 10: So, I recently got a USB floppy drive for my old mac and I thought I could share data with floppy disks, but when I plug in the floppy drive and insert a floppy disk, it wouldn't recognize it. So, I went to device manger, and it said: This device cannot start. Code 10...
  4. If Win 10 still used floppies for install ...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    If Win 10 still used floppies for install ...: Just for grins. Standard 3 1/2" floppy hold 1.44 MB, formatted. So the typical Windows update might need in very round numbers about four thousand disks. At 100 disks/carton, that's 40 cartons. Don't know how many cartons to a shipping pallet. Fortunately Microsoft (and...
  5. If Win 10 still used floppies for install ...

in Windows 10 Support
    If Win 10 still used floppies for install ...: Just for grins. Standard 3 1/2" floppy hold 1.44 MB, formatted. So the typical Windows update might need in very round numbers about four thousand disks. At 100 disks/carton, that's 40 cartons. Don't know how many cartons to a shipping pallet. Fortunately Microsoft (and...
  6. Driver for using an external floppy drive on Windows 10

Driver for using an external floppy drive on Windows 10: I have windows 10. Recently purchased used Imation Super Disk 120 in order to copy old files onto some CDs. The Super Disk shows up on my computer as B floppy. However, whenever a disk is inserted, the messages says the disk media is not recognized. It may not be...
  7. USB Floppy Drive

USB Floppy Drive: I have a USB floppy drive that I cannot connect to my desktop. This PC is running Windows 10. In addition this drive is seen in the device Manager but not in the Windows Explorer...
  8. Why won't Windows 10 read 3.5" floppy disk on external USB floppy drive?

Why won't Windows 10 read 3.5" floppy disk on external USB floppy drive?: Is there a fix to make Windows 10 read 3.5 floppy disks on a USB floppy disk drive. The drive shows up in the Devices and Printers screen but when I right click on the device and choose "Browse files" and then choose "Floppy Disk DriveA:" it replies "A:\ is not accessible....
  9. Unable to use USB Floppy Drive

Unable to use USB Floppy Drive: I am really hope I can get some help with this. I have two different USB floppy drives that will not work on either my desktop, or my laptop. I am running version 1903 on the desktop, while I have the latest Preview on the laptop. The strangest part is that the drive is...
  10. Will Win 10 support a 3.5 floppy drive?

Will Win 10 support a 3.5 floppy drive?: My wife was given an older Hammond organ by our church. It has a 3.5 floppy drive that accepts and plays MIDI song files. I have software that is able to generate MIDI song files, I'm hoping Win 10 will support a USB connected floppy drive (??) 74430

Users found this page by searching for:

1. external floppy disk drive for windows 10

2. external floppy disk drive windows 10