Windows 10: "The user profile service service failed the sign-in." Help!!

Discus and support "The user profile service service failed the sign-in." Help!! in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; When I try to login, I get the following error message: "The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded."... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by tollbooth, Nov 6, 2015.

1. tollbooth Win User

"The user profile service service failed the sign-in." Help!!

When I try to login, I get the following error message:

"The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in.

User profile cannot be loaded."

I am literally unable to use my HP Envy laptop, which is running Windows 10, because of this. I do not even know how to get into safe mode. Please--I need urgent help with this. *Sad

EDIT: Though I haven't found safe mode yet, I was able to access system diagnostics via Escape (while rebooting). I tried to do a system restore, but it said I had errors on my hard drive and made me check and fix those errors.

Next I tried Recovery Manager. But this just gives me a blue screen. Nothing comes up.

:)

tollbooth, Nov 6, 2015
  2. Kapil Arya MVP, Nov 6, 2015
  3. User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded

Sounds like you have logged into a temporary profile. Try restarting your computer a few times. Press Control + Alt + Delete

Click Sign out

At the sign in screen, click the power button, then click Restart. Do this a few times then try signing again. If the desktop still does not show up, then you will need to create a new local user account.

Press Control + Shift + Esc

Click File > Run new task

Type: control userpasswords2

Click Add

Enter a user name

Password, confirm it, create a hint

Click Next

Click Finish

Click OK

Sign into the new account.

Open File Explorer on the Taskbar > This PC

Open the drive where Windows is installed

Open Users

Look if your old account old is there with your files

If they are, you can copy them over to the new account.

Andre Da Costa, Nov 6, 2015
  4. "The user profile service service failed the sign-in." Help!!

Method 1: Safe mode

• Turn on your computer and repeatedly press the esc key until the Startup Menu opens.
    • Begin a System Recovery by pressing F11. If prompted, select your keyboard layout.
    • The Choose an option screen displays. Click Troubleshoot.
      4. Click Advanced options.
      5. Select Command Prompt to open the Command Prompt window. You might need to select your account and enter your password to continue.
      After the command system prompt, enter the command for the safe mode option you want. Enter the information exactly.

The computer responds with The operation completed successfully when you have entered the command correctly.
      • Enable Safe Mode - Type:
        bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal and press Enter.
      • Enable Safe Mode with Networking - Type:
        bcdedit /set {default} safeboot network and press Enter.
      • Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt - Type:
        bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal and press Enter:
        bcdedit /set {default} safebootalternateshell yes and press Enter.

• Close the Command Prompt window by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the Command Prompt window.

• The Choose an option screen displays. Select Continue and sign in to Windows with your account name and password.
    Method 2: Restore point:

Now, do the steps 1,2,3,4 in method 1

• This time, click System Restore.
    • Choose the latest restore point you can find.
    • Click next.
    What does this do?
    It restores your laptop to a previous time. %99 of your personal files will stay.
    Note: Do not restore your computer to a date that is more than 3 month. That will cause some data loss. However, they are most likely to remain.
    Did I help? Leave me a *Thumbs so you can help me in return!

AbAppletic, Nov 6, 2015
  5. tollbooth Win User
    Moments later, the Recovery Manager comes up. I decided to just go ahead and start Windows without trying a system restore, and...it's back up and running! Looks like fixing that hard drive error caused it.

The last thing I was doing before all this happened was to try to graph a plot in Python using matplotlib. It crashed my computer, twice, presumably due to a huge data array. But to induce hard drive errors?? I think I'm going to explore my options for creating a restore point, etc., should there be more to this story.

tollbooth, Nov 6, 2015
  6. tollbooth Win User
    Hmm, I may not be out of the woods yet. Every single time I reboot, my computer wants to do a disk scan. Going to try to fix this via an error check of the drive.

tollbooth, Nov 6, 2015
  7. larry Win User
    Hi tollbooth! You can open a Command Prompt with admin rights and run the following command to tell Windows not to scan disk at next reboot:
    Code: chkntfs /x D:[/quote] Replace D: with the drive letter of your desired partition.

larry, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

"The user profile service service failed the sign-in." Help!!

1. "The user profile service service failed the sign-in." Help!! - Similar Threads - user profile service

2. "The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in": Hi, The question sums it up. Randomly failed to open my account.Why? I restarted and everything worked troubleshooting solution ... But why did this happen? and so suddenly?Saved preferences, website cookies, passwords, etc.. were lost. Frustrating but if someone has ways to...
  3. User profile service service failed the sign in

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    User profile service service failed the sign in: I recently ran some software of AVG antivirus I believe the one that removes all traces and the one that grants permission of some sorts I restarted my laptop and I got that error. When I try to sign in it says to use the password of my microsoft account which I double...
  4. User profile service service failed the sign in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User profile service service failed the sign in: I recently ran some software of AVG antivirus I believe the one that removes all traces and the one that grants permission of some sorts I restarted my laptop and I got that error. When I try to sign in it says to use the password of my microsoft account which I double...
  5. User profile service service failed the sign in

6. The user profile service service failed the sign in

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    The user profile service service failed the sign in: I resetted my PC to improve performance and it asked me to put in my password, so I did and it showed "The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded." I restarted my PC multiple times and it still shows the same error....
  7. User Profile Service service failed sign-on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile Service service failed sign-on: I tried to get on my Windows10 Lenovo laptop, entered my password and received error: User Profile Service Service Failed the Sign-in User Profile Cannot be LoadedI installed BitDefender including VPN and have had problems ever since. I also have 2 MS 365 accounts and...
  8. User Profile Service service failed sign-on

User Profile Service service failed sign-on: I tried to get on my Windows10 Lenovo laptop, entered my password and received error: User Profile Service Service Failed the Sign-in User Profile Cannot be LoadedI installed BitDefender including VPN and have had problems ever since. I also have 2 MS 365 accounts and...
  9. The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in

in Windows 10 Customization
    The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in: After a failed attempt at factory resetting my desktop, I began to receive this message when I tried to login to my computer. I have tried to start my computer through safe mode, which has not worked, and have tried to go to a restore point, which also failed to work. Any way...
  10. The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in

The User Profile Service service failed the sign-in: After a failed attempt at factory resetting my desktop, I began to receive this message when I tried to login to my computer. I have tried to start my computer through safe mode, which has not worked, and have tried to go to a restore point, which also failed to work. Any way...