Windows 10: The Windows 10 built-in Photo App used to automatically import photos into folders...

Discus and support The Windows 10 built-in Photo App used to automatically import photos into folders... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [Note: I’m not a Windows user myself; this question is being asked on behalf of my dad] My dad uses a Canon digital PowerShot camera for work (it’s... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/RhymesWithHiya, Dec 12, 2020.

1. The Windows 10 built-in Photo App used to automatically import photos into folders...

[Note: I’m not a Windows user myself; this question is being asked on behalf of my dad]

My dad uses a Canon digital PowerShot camera for work (it’s about 10 years old) and up until about a week or two ago, was apparently able to import photos via the built-in Photo app on his Windows 10 laptop.

During the import process, the photos would automatically be sorted into folders by date using the format YYYY-MM-DD. Dad says he didn’t have to do anything to make that happen — according to him, it just happened automatically.

Now, the photos are being dumped into the pictures folder without date folders being created and it’s driving him nuts. He says he didn’t do anything on his end that he can think of that might have changed the normal behavior of the import process, but he does think there was a recent update to the OS.

I did some research and tried to troubleshoot the problem, but the support article I found that seemed closest to providing a hint towards a solution showed a different set of menu options when right clicking the camera SD card in the File Explorer than what’s available on his computer.

The screenshot in the article shows an option to “Import pictures and videos” among the options when right-clicking, whereas performing the same step on my dad’s laptop doesn’t pull up that option in the menu, and unlike the screenshot in the article, his Photo app has an “AutoPlay” option. This is even though they’re the same app and the same OS.

Anyway, this issue is causing my dad a huge amount of frustration. He really just wants to have photos imported from his camera automatically sorted into date-based folders, as they were up until a week or two ago. Anyone have any insight into what’s going on and how to fix it?

submitted by /u/RhymesWithHiya
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/RhymesWithHiya, Dec 12, 2020
  2. Ruz San Win User

importing photos

Thank you for clearing that out. It looks like you are importing the files using the Photos app. When you import photos using this app, the files get imported into your Pictures library. To view these files, refer to these steps:

• Open File Explorer.
    • On the list of folders on the left side of the window, click on Pictures. You shall see the photos imported from the SD card using the Photos app.

Another option you have is to import the files solely using File Explorer. Here's how you can do it:

• Connect the SD card into the computer.
    • Launch File Explorer.
    • Click on This PC.
    • Locate your SD card under Devices and drives.
    • Double-click on the SD card.
    • Manually choose which photos to move into your local folders. Right-click on each photo and choose
      Copy (Ctrl + C) then go to the destination folder then right-click on an empty space in the window and select
      Paste (Ctrl + V).
    • If you are importing all the photos, you can press Ctrl + A on the keyboard to select all of the files. Copy then Paste them into the destination folder.
    • If you are importing selective photos, hold the Ctrl key while clicking on the photos you want to copy. This will let you choose a number of photos instead of selecting all of them like what Step 7 suggests.

Once you're able to get the hang of the tricks, importing photos will not be a challenge anymore.

Tell us which method works best for you.

We're here if you need more help.

Ruz San, Dec 12, 2020
  3. Windows 10 photos won't import

Hi,

Since you mentioned that you were able to import photos the first time you tried it, we suggest that you download and run the
    Windows app troubleshooter and check if it resolves the issue. This troubleshooter will scan your PC and attempt to automatically fix issues with the Windows store apps.

If the Photo app still isn't working, try to reset it by following these steps:

• In the Search box, type Settings.
    • From the results, click on Settings to run the app.
    • Tap System and select Apps & features.
    • Click on the Photos app and hit Advanced options.
    • Press Reset.

You may also want to check if you have permissions to the folder to which you are importing the photos. Here are the steps to give permissions to the folder:

• Right-click on the Pictures folder, in the File Explorer, and select
      Properties.
    • Under the Security tab, click on HomeUsers
      under Group or Username.
    • Choose Full Control under Permissions for System
    • Repeat steps 2 & 3 for Administrators under Group
      or Username.
    Restart your PC and try importing the photos again.

Additionally, you may want to read Andre Da Costa's Forum article using the link below for more info:

Complete Guide to Importing Your Photos in Windows 10.

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Dec 12, 2020
  4. The Windows 10 built-in Photo App used to automatically import photos into folders...

Automatic import of photos when connecting a camera

When connected to Win 7, a simple window was opened where, with the push of a button, all new photos were imported.
    In Win 10 You have to open a folder, click on the device, select the import.
    How is it possible and is it possible to make it automatic? Do not need the bells and whistles. To simply import all new photos from the device into the same folder? Can you write a * .bat for these purposes and a task manager?
    I really was tortured. I repeat these simple steps 50 times a day. It takes a lot of time.
    What is in Win 10 is not very convenient.
    Sorry, I use a translator.

Владимир Синягин, Dec 12, 2020
Thema:

The Windows 10 built-in Photo App used to automatically import photos into folders...

1. The Windows 10 built-in Photo App used to automatically import photos into folders... - Similar Threads - built Photo App

2. how to designate destination folder for imported photos to photo app in windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to designate destination folder for imported photos to photo app in windows 10: how to desinate destination folder for imported photos to photo app in windows 10 from external device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-designate-destination-folder-for-imported/a5710b06-078a-42dd-9a86-acf78deadbeb
  3. how to designate destination folder for imported photos to photo app in windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to designate destination folder for imported photos to photo app in windows 10: how to desinate destination folder for imported photos to photo app in windows 10 from external device https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-designate-destination-folder-for-imported/a5710b06-078a-42dd-9a86-acf78deadbeb
  4. Windows 10 Photo import to folders

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 Photo import to folders: HI,in windows 7 I used to be able to import photos from an sd card so they would automatically go into the photos folder organized by date taken.I cannot get windows 10 photos to do this. I'd love to know how i do itthanks...
  5. Windows 10 Photo import to folders

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 Photo import to folders: HI,in windows 7 I used to be able to import photos from an sd card so they would automatically go into the photos folder organized by date taken.I cannot get windows 10 photos to do this. I'd love to know how i do itthanks...
  6. Windows 10 Photo import to folders

7. automatically create folder 'year - month' when importing photos & videos in photo app

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    automatically create folder 'year - month' when importing photos & videos in photo app: my system used to do this but doesn't now for some reason; the photo app just imports all files to pictures\. I can't find the setting to create a subfolder on import. Can anyone help?...
  8. Windows 10 Photo App stopped importing automatically

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 Photo App stopped importing automatically: Hey. I have a iPhone XS and never had a problem with the Windows Photo app. I plug in my phone and new pictures that are on my phone are popping up on the album/photo app. But suddelny now the app have stopped importing automatically. I need to import it by myself... any...
  9. Windows 10 Photos app lost imported photos

Windows 10 Photos app lost imported photos: Hello, I just recently used the Photos app to import a bunch of raw photos from a DSLR which I was going to use for a project. After the import was complete, I formatted the memory card on my camera to save space. However, when I go to the photos app now, I cannot find...
  10. Will deleting photos on iPhone automatically delete photos imported on Windows 10 Photos App?

Will deleting photos on iPhone automatically delete photos imported on Windows 10 Photos App?: Windows 10 automatically synced all my iPhone photos onto the Photos Program on my Computer when connected through USB. I would like to delete/clear out some photos. If I delete photos on my iPhone will they also automatically delete on the imported Photos file or do I have...