Windows 10: The Windows Defender Antivirus Sandbox in Windows 10

Discus and support The Windows Defender Antivirus Sandbox in Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft implemented new functionality in Windows Defender Antivirus for Windows 10 recently that makes the antivirus solution run in a sandbox on the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 8, 2018.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

The Windows Defender Antivirus Sandbox in Windows 10

Microsoft implemented new functionality in Windows Defender Antivirus for Windows 10 recently that makes the antivirus solution run in a sandbox on the system.

The feature, which is available in Windows 10 version 1703 and newer, needs to be enabled for the time being as it is not active by default currently.

Microsoft hopes that Windows Defender Antivirus' new restrictive process execution environment helps protect the application against attacks that are targeted directly at it. Antivirus solutions often need to run with high privileges to protect the entire system against malicious attacks; the need to run with high privileges make antivirus programs high profile targets, especially if they are used widely.

Microsoft stated that it is unaware of targeted attacks "in-the-wild" against Windows Defender Antivirus but that security researchers identified ways to attack Windows Defender Antivirus successfully in the past.

A sandboxed environment adds another layer of protection to the antivirus solution. Malware that aims to exploit Windows Defender Antivirus successfully would have to exploit a vulnerability in the application itself and find a way to break out of the sandboxed environment that Microsoft created for the security software.

Running Windows Defender Antivirus in a sandbox ensures that in the unlikely event of a compromise, malicious actions are limited to the isolated environment, protecting the rest of the system from harm.
    Enable Windows Defender Antivirus sandboxing

The Windows Defender Antivirus Sandbox in Windows 10 windows-defender-antivirus-sandbox.png

Sandboxing is not enabled by default at the time of writing. It is available, however, on all devices running Windows 10 version 1703 or higher.

Tip: if you are unsure about the Windows version run winver.exe on Start to display it.

Here is what you need to do to enable Windows Defender Antivirus sandboxing right now:

1. Open the Start menu.
    2. Type powershell.exe to display PowerShell as one of the results.
    3. Right-click on the result and select "run as administrator" or hold down the Shift-key and the Ctrl-key before you select the result. Both options execute PowerShell with elevated rights.
    4. Confirm the UAC prompt that may be displayed.
    5. Run setx /M MP_FORCE_USE_SANDBOX 1.
    6. Restart Windows.

The command sets a new system variable that tells Windows to run Windows Defender Antivirus with sandbox functionality.

Verifying that the sandbox is running is simple: open the Windows Task Manager with a tap on Ctrl-Shift-Esc and make sure you display all details (click on more details if not), and look on the Details tab of the program.

Locate MsMpEngCP.exe there. If you see it, the sandbox is up and running. The process runs with low privileges and uses "all available mitigation policies" according to Microsoft.

You can use third-party programs like Process Explorer as well if you prefer those to verify that the sandbox is enabled.

Check out Microsoft's blog post on the Microsoft Secure blog for implementation details and challenges that Microsoft faced during research and development.

Now You: Which antivirus solution do you run?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post The Windows Defender Antivirus Sandbox in Windows 10 appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 8, 2018

2. What the hell, windows defender?

https://www.av-test.org/en/antiviru...-2017/microsoft-windows-defender-4.12-174847/

28 False Positives in last 2 tests

John Naylor, Nov 8, 2018
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Nov 8, 2018
  4. The Windows Defender Antivirus Sandbox in Windows 10

Decent free antivirus?

Oh and just in case its for an older O/S

this little nugget of goodness
    Still not on Windows 10? Fine, sighs Microsoft, here are its antivirus tools for Windows 7, 8.1
    Redmond extends ATP to older builds, adds third-party links

dorsetknob, Nov 8, 2018
Thema:

The Windows Defender Antivirus Sandbox in Windows 10

1. The Windows Defender Antivirus Sandbox in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Defender Antivirus Sandbox

2. Windows Sandbox and Windows Defender

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Sandbox and Windows Defender: I know there is a procdure for activating this, and I have done this several times over, yet everytime I reopen the sandbox software, the option for real time protection is greyed out. It's also hidden from the security tab, and I have to manually search for it every single...
  3. Run antivirus on Windows Sandbox

Run antivirus on Windows Sandbox: I'm trying to test a program with malware for some things, tho I would need to use Windows Defender to scan the whole pc. As the "virus and threat protection" tab doesn't show up I have no way of scanning the sandbox, how could I scan it and if possible, make it that...
  4. Windows Defender in Sandbox

Windows Defender in Sandbox: Win10 Pro 1909 18363.535 I see the question has been asked at least twice without answer, a few months ago, but trying again just in case there is now a solution. Defender is enabled for Sandbox (setx /M MP_FORCE_USE_SANDBOX 1. Got "SUCCESS: Specified value was saved.")...
  5. windows defender antivirus

windows defender antivirus: hi, in my windows defender security center's virus and threat protection it says "Your virus and threat protection is managed by your organization". How can i change it....
  6. Windows Defender Sandbox?

Windows Defender Sandbox?: Is Windows Defender Sandbox mode enabled by default on v1809? 137328
  7. windows defender antivirus

windows defender antivirus: my pc windows defender antivirus suddenly stoppped. i tried to turn it on or even restarting but its denying .its always displaying a "out of date" message .i am trying to update it but no progress...
  8. Windows Defender Antivirus can now run in a sandbox in Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Windows Defender Antivirus can now run in a sandbox in Windows 10: Windows Defender Antivirus has hit a new milestone: the built-in antivirus capabilities on Windows can now run within a sandbox. With this new development, Windows Defender Antivirus becomes the first complete antivirus solution to have this capability and continues to lead...
  9. Windows Defender Antivirus

Windows Defender Antivirus: The scan found a trojan virus and to remove it is asking for my password which I enter and it doesnot accept https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_10/windows-defender-antivirus/ced9f7a5-7bb6-44fe-8b92-20909e49f6ea
  10. Windows 10 AntiVirus & Windows Defender

Windows 10 AntiVirus & Windows Defender: I've upgraded to Windows 10 and noticed my AntiVirus and Firewall was removed. My question is do I need to install another AntiVirus & Firewall or is Windows Defender up to the job? The AV & Firewall I had on was ZoneAlarm 18810