Windows 10: The windows defender firewall service refuses to start.

Discus and support The windows defender firewall service refuses to start. in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello, i have started having a problem with the Windows defender firewall. When i try to restore it's defaults using the control panel, i get this... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Giacomo DVP, Feb 20, 2021.

1. The windows defender firewall service refuses to start.

Hello, i have started having a problem with the Windows defender firewall. When i try to restore it's defaults using the control panel, i get this screen:

The windows defender firewall service refuses to start. 433a4e52-b5a8-4bd3-83d1-8a32c809c634?upload=true.png

And when i press 'Use recommended settings' it gives me this error:

The windows defender firewall service refuses to start. 5488af42-18ed-48de-bcdb-ed46fb9f2a47?upload=true.png

When I try to start it through the Services app it says 'Windows could not start the windows defender firewall service on Local Computer. The service did not return an error. This could be an internal windows error or an internal service error.'

I need to get windows firewall to work because I am trying to get glasswire to work as my main firewall but it needs windows firewall to work. I am planning on using glasswire as a firewall and Bitdefender as an antivirus and have been doing so for about 2 weeks. Suddenly Bitdefender found 'malware' and deleted it and I suspect that this might have caused this issue but I cannot be sure. Please help.

:)

Giacomo DVP, Feb 20, 2021

2. Windows Defender doesn't start

this morning, when booting my computer, Windows Defender and Windows Firewall refused to start.
    In the Services list I saw that folliwing services were disabled:

Windows Defender Antivirus service (WinDefend)
    Windows Defender Firewall (mpssvc)

I could not change the disabled state of this 2 services (in properties all is gray)

My OS is Windows 10 Home Edition Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.295)

In the Windows Security Application I see a red mark in the Virus & threat protection shield.

Can anyone help me please?

aliskander, Feb 20, 2021
  3. Mala_S Win User
    Windows Defender Firewall error code 0x800706d9

Hi AnudieKatz.

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

Since you are facing an issue with the Windows Defender firewall, I would like to ask you few questions to get a better picture.

1. Are you using any other Anti-virus software?
    2. Since when are you facing this issue?
    3. Have you tried installing Picture viewer and Calendar app after it getting uninstalled?

Based on your information, I would like to inform you that if you are using third party anti-virus program Windows defender will automatically turn off from your system you will not able turn it on manually.

Let’s try simple troubleshooting steps and check if this helps in resolving the issue. Follow the below methods.

Method 1: Check the following services and ensure it is started.

1. Press Windows and R key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type Services.msc and hit Enter.
    3. Search for the following services:
    • Base filtering engine Service
    • Remote Procedure Call Service
    • Windows defender firewall service
    4. Start the above services and reboot the device.

Method 2: I would suggest you to try running the troubleshooter to enable the firewall. Use the below link to run the troubleshooter.

Automatically diagnose and fix problems with Windows Firewall

If you are still facing the same issue after following the above steps, revert with the details asked.

Hope it helps.

Mala.S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Feb 20, 2021
  4. JimJersey Win User

The windows defender firewall service refuses to start.

Error: Windows could not start the Windows Defender Firewall service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start, when starting Windows Defender Firewall Service

When trying to start using Services panel get "Windows could not start the Windows Defender Firewall service on Local Computer. Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start."

The Event Viewer has an entry in the System list that says "The Windows Defender Firewall service depends on the Windows Defender Firewall Authorization Driver service which failed to start because of the following error:

The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it."

Running the Windows Firewall Troubleshooter results in the following message "Windows Firewall cannot be set as the default firewall. This problem may be occurring because of an existing Group Policy or because you using the Norton Security Online firewall
    program. If you want to use the Windows Firewall,exit this troubleshooter, uninstall the other firewall program.and then run this troubleshooter again.".

Norton was installed on this computer but was removed using the Norton Remove tool (run several times). All other Antivirus programs have been removed from this computer (by a Norton technician that gave up after a while). I've run Microsoft Security Essentials
    (in Safe Mode) and it found no problems. Ran ESET Online Scanner (in Safe Mode) and it found no problems.

Ran the sfc /scannow command into an elevated command prompt. No issues found.

Ran "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth" and it said no corruption."

The computer is runnning Windows 10 Pro, Version 1903, OS build 18362.657

I'd be grateful for any ideas of what else I can try? Something in the registry perhaps? Thanks.

***Original title: Windows Defender Firewall won't start on Windows 10 version 1903***

JimJersey, Feb 20, 2021
Thema:

The windows defender firewall service refuses to start.

1. The windows defender firewall service refuses to start. - Similar Threads - defender firewall service

2. Windows Defender Firewall not starting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Firewall not starting: Hi, on my Windows 11 the Windows Defender Firewall is set to "Stopping" automatically. On opening Windows Security in Settings, I get, "Get an app to open this 'windowsdefender link'".I tried pointing to the Appx path I get the following error:Add-AppxPackage : Deployment...
  3. Windows Defender Firewall not starting

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Firewall not starting: Hi, on my Windows 11 the Windows Defender Firewall is set to "Stopping" automatically. On opening Windows Security in Settings, I get, "Get an app to open this 'windowsdefender link'".I tried pointing to the Appx path I get the following error:Add-AppxPackage : Deployment...
  4. Windows Defender Firewall won't start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Defender Firewall won't start: After clicking on Use recommended settings, I get this error: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-wont-start/5bc3595c-509b-4462-9ced-c23393b993b8
  5. Windows Defender Firewall won't start

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Firewall won't start: After clicking on Use recommended settings, I get this error: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-defender-firewall-wont-start/5bc3595c-509b-4462-9ced-c23393b993b8
  6. Windows Defender Firewall won't start

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Defender Firewall won't start: Hello, The firewall of my son's PC does not run. It did run when I upgraded Windows 10 to Windows 11 but it stopped working soon after that. The system keeps asking me to turn the firewall on but it cannot be done. Could you please help? Here are some of the symptoms. 1. Task...
  7. Service "Windows Defender Firewall" wont start HELP!!!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Service "Windows Defender Firewall" wont start HELP!!!: When i try to start the service "Windows Defender Firewall" it says "Windows could not start the Windows Defender Firewall on Local Computer, For more information on, review the System Event Log. if this is a non-Microsoft service, contact the service vendor, and refer to...
  8. Windows Firewall service not starting

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows Firewall service not starting: so the story goes back to a week when i pirated malware bytes anti malware and i think that is the reason why this has happen.The pirated zip file contained a executable and the pirate said to run this as admin i did it because he was a trusted pirated however i can tell that...
  9. windows defender and firewall not starting

windows defender and firewall not starting: After windows update version 1903 and 1909, i have been facing issues with windows defender and firewall, they do not seem to start and is showing error, i tried to manually start in services.msc but it was of no use, the start option is not even usable.I do not have a third...
  10. Can't start Windows Firewall service

Can't start Windows Firewall service: When I try to turn it on, it just keeps loading and eventually do nothing. [img] And when I try to start the service in the "Services.msc" I get the error: [img] Tranlation: 'Can't start the Windows Firewall on yout Local computer. Consult the systemlogs for more...