Windows 10: The windows icon on screen seems dead.

Discus and support The windows icon on screen seems dead. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have restarted the PC, I have signed in and out. The windows icon on the taskbar suddenly has gone dead. It reacts when I hover but nothing happens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ingvare, Mar 12, 2016.

1. ingvare Win User

The windows icon on screen seems dead.

I have restarted the PC, I have signed in and out.
    The windows icon on the taskbar suddenly has gone dead. It reacts when I hover but nothing happens when clicking normal.
    Clicking "other button" shows a menu
    Other buttons on the taskbar works. Ihave checked for updates and it says its up to date.
    I have a laptop with W10, no problem and also another desktop no problem

:)

ingvare, Mar 12, 2016

2. The windows icon does not bring up the menu on mt tablet

I am using an Asus tablet /computer. Until yesterday the Windows 10 icon would allow me to activate the screen icons as illustrated. Now the icon does not allow that. No Windows 10 screen functions. It is as if the icon to activate is dead.

How does one restore the previously operative screen

PeterCrombie, Mar 12, 2016
  3. 6280 seems totaly dead (blank screen)

You would have thought a new phone would have come with the latest firmware, I have no idea what it actualy came with though. I only decided to get this phone when I had a look at one in a local phone store and thought they were great phones, add to that
    the fact I have allways had great experiences with Nokias I loved (and still have) my old 3300, and despite not having had one in about 3 years I assumed that the quality products I remembered would still be there. I am disapointed by this, but I am willing
    to give Nokia another chance on this phone.

goldendragoon, Mar 12, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hello, there are so many threads on this forum about start menu problems- at least, I assume you mean you can't launch the start menu from the start button (usually bottom left). If you search the forum, you may well find an appropriate solution.

However, I did come across something new yesterday:
    If your start menu fails to appear, try this:

http://www.urtech.ca/2015/05/solved-...-not-function/

But do not try option 4 - powershell command- as this has been broken and will break apps since last November.

Finally you have the option to do an In-place upgrade install repair.

For this you need an installation medium with the same build as you have installed.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums
    This will refresh Windows, after the manner of a Windows installation.
    - all/most associations will be unchanged
    - all your programs will be left installed
    - you will lose any custom fonts
    - you will lose any customised system icons
    - you may need to re-establish your Wi-Fi connection
    - you will need to redo Windows updates subsequent to the build you have used for the repair install
    - system restore will be turned off- you should turn it on again and I recommend you manually schedule a daily restore point.

This is one of the better features of Win10: as each major build comes out, that's your updated reference build, and as updates are mostly cumulative, there will be few to do.

Recommendation:
    Before you perform this major repair procedure, do create a disk image.

Please consider using disk imaging regularly. It's a brilliant way to
    - preserve your system (and your sanity)
    - back up your data
    - restore your system to a previously working state in a relatively short time

Recommended: Macrium Reflect or Aomei Backupper (free) + their boot disk/device + large enough external storage medium.

Good luck!

dalchina, Mar 13, 2016
  5. ingvare Win User
    Strange things happening. I noticed that the WMI Provider Host was running at 7.5% cpu, no interent activity and a good chunk of memory and has been doing for some time.
    I disconnected my internet but it continued running.
    I restarted the computer with the internet cable unplugged.
    The start button suddenly works. WMI now running at 1.7% cpu
    I connect the internet cable and check for internet. Its OK
    I will now restart this computer with the internet cable connected and come back with result

ingvare, Mar 13, 2016
  6. ingvare Win User
    Computer restarted and works ok.
    What did I do?
    It seems that closing down of internet and restart the computer without internet stopped some activity the WMI Provider Host was doing. (and seemed to loop around doing)
    A restart after that with internet connected my start button worked again

ingvare, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. The windows icon on screen seems dead. - Similar Threads - icon screen seems

2. BLue screen of Dead

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BLue screen of Dead: Problem: After installation SSD with zero defect, I works fine for 1 month but suddenly I received BSOD Today. I had received different stope code on each restart. It's hard for me to find problem. And moreover I try all option. Chkdsk, Restore didn't work. Even reset didn't...
  3. BLue screen of Dead

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BLue screen of Dead: Problem: After installation SSD with zero defect, I works fine for 1 month but suddenly I received BSOD Today. I had received different stope code on each restart. It's hard for me to find problem. And moreover I try all option. Chkdsk, Restore didn't work. Even reset didn't...
  4. Dead App Shortcut Icon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dead App Shortcut Icon: I uninstalled a program in Windows 11 but the App Icon still appears in the Start Menu. I won't let me uninstall it. It looks like it's just a dead Icon. I tried going to C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but the program for this App is not listed. The App...
  5. Dead App Shortcut Icon

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dead App Shortcut Icon: I uninstalled a program in Windows 11 but the App Icon still appears in the Start Menu. I won't let me uninstall it. It looks like it's just a dead Icon. I tried going to C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but the program for this App is not listed. The App...
  6. Blue screen of dead

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Blue screen of dead: Since the day one, I'm having issues with this new PC several years now. I came to believe that it was due to the sound card I had asus xonar stx and somehow I ignored the issues. Recently I removed the card from the PC and my issues still continued. Today I decided to do a...
  7. Seagate 4TB backup HD seems dead

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Seagate 4TB backup HD seems dead: I had an external 4TB Seagate backup HD for 2 to 3 years now used solely for Macrium. Never had a problem with it. Now my PC won't reboot without me unplugging that HD. It won't even show up in Explorer, or the 'safely remove' desktop icon. That tended to freeze if I clicked...
  8. Dead icon in top apps?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Dead icon in top apps?: Hi, i uninstalled opera using delete or add program function but opera is still showing in top apps. Just a dead icon, anyway to remove it completely? submitted by /u/lads99 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kpnqow/dead_icon_in_top_apps/
  9. Mouse seemed to go dead

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse seemed to go dead: Windows 10 Home I got on my computer this morning and my mouse wouldn't do a thing. I use one of those small, wireless Logitech mice. I change battery, wiped it off with alcohol and changed battery again. I forced a shutdown, unplugged my computer and then hit the start...
  10. Windows 10: The Charms bar is dead; Start screen dead...

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 10: The Charms bar is dead; Start screen dead...: Late last week, Microsoft pushed out a new build of Windows 10 to those of you who are participating in the 'Insiders' program. The latest version of Windows 10 comes with it many new features, some easily accessible, others not, but one thing is for certain, the Charms bar...