Windows 10: The Windows Start, Search and UWP opening issue is back

Discus and support The Windows Start, Search and UWP opening issue is back in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft has updated a Windows issue on May 18, 2023 that has plagued Windows users since January 2023. It describes an issue that affects the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, May 22, 2023.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

The Windows Start, Search and UWP opening issue is back

Microsoft has updated a Windows issue on May 18, 2023 that has plagued Windows users since January 2023.

It describes an issue that affects the opening of apps on the Start Menu, Windows Search and UWP apps in general. Microsoft has not updated the description of the issue, but it has added Windows 10 version 22H2 to the list of affected operating systems.

The issue affects client versions of Windows only. Microsoft lists Windows 11 version 21H2 and 22H2, and Windows 10 versions 20H2, 21H2 and 22H2 as affected.

Microsoft writes: "The Start menu, Windows search, and Universal Windows Platform (UWP) apps might not work as expected or might have issues opening."

Windows devices affected by the issue "might have damaged registry keys or data which might affect apps using Microsoft Office APIs to integrate with Windows, Microsoft Office, or Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Calendar."

Clickshare by Barco was mentioned previously as an app that may be causing the issues. The company published a support page that describes the issue.

Windows users may experience one or multiple of the following issues if their devices are affected:

• The Windows Start Menu does not open when the Windows-key is used or when the Start icon is clicked.
    • Windows Search does not react to mouse clicks, pressing the Search button or using the Windows-S shortcut.
    • Microsoft Outlook and OneDrive can't connect or sync.

A workaround suggests to update the ClickShare app to the latest version, disable Calendar integration, and follow Microsoft's guidance on recovering user profiles. Barco confirms that the issue may still persists and that users may need to correct the user profile manually in that case.

Microsoft admits that there may be other apps that are causing the issues for users and notes that this issue was not caused by a Windows update, but that it may be exposed on Windows when applications are updated that use Microsoft Office APIs.

Microsoft's workaround suggests uninstalling any application that is integrating with Windows, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Outlook or Outlook Calendar. Application updates by the developer of the app may also resolve the issue on the user's end.

The first step in analysing the issue is to identify the application or applications that are causing the issue; this alone may not be an easy task. Once apps have been identified, administrators should check for updates and support pages that describe the issue. Uninstalling affected apps may not be practicable, depending on what these applications are used for.

Microsoft engineers are working on a resolution of the issue.

Now You: are you affected by the issue? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post The Windows Start, Search and UWP opening issue is back appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, May 22, 2023

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, May 22, 2023
  3. Issues with accessing apps throuhg Start Menu and Search bar on windows10.

Hi Indrik,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with Windows 10. I will certainly help you.

This issue might occur if some system files is corrupt.

To assist you better, please provided us the information below:

• Are you getting any error message when you click on Start Menu?

I suggest you to follow the steps provided in Microsoft Help Article about Start menu issues and also try to start Windows Search service. Check if it helps.

Step 1: I recommend you to refer to the suggestion provided in the Microsoft Help Article and check if it helps.

Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana:

Fix problems with the Start menu - Microsoft Support

Step 2: I suggest you to try to start Windows Search services
    and check if it helps.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Type "services.msc" without the quotes and click on it.

3. Search for Windows Search.

4. Double click on it and under Startup type, select
    Automatic.

5. Then click on Start button.

Note: If you are not able to change the Startup type, then continue starting the service by clicking on Start button.

Please get back to us with an update on issue with using Start Menu and search bar, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, May 22, 2023
  4. The Windows Start, Search and UWP opening issue is back

Issues with search & start menu

Hi Chris,

There are still 3 remaining troubleshooting steps you can use to resolve this issue. Follow any of the methods below:

• Rebuild the search index in Windows 10.
      • Type Indexing Options.
      • Click Advanced.
      • Click Rebuild, then OK.
      • Wait until the process is complete.
    • Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana.
    • If the two troubleshooting steps still didn't resolve your issue, we recommend that you use
      System Restore to a certain point that
      Search and Start menu is still properly working.
    If all else fails, you might need to do a clean install of Windows 10.

Keep us updated with the results.

Eugene deV, May 22, 2023
Thema:

The Windows Start, Search and UWP opening issue is back

1. The Windows Start, Search and UWP opening issue is back - Similar Threads - Start Search UWP

2. Start Menu and Search Issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Start Menu and Search Issues: Hi all,I'm currently on Windows 11 Home 22H2 edition and, following the latest update it feels like everything revolving around the OS has begun to break.Start Menu: whenever I click the start menu, it will stay up, if I click anything else and I mean anything on the start...
  3. Start Menu and Search Issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Start Menu and Search Issues: Hi all,I'm currently on Windows 11 Home 22H2 edition and, following the latest update it feels like everything revolving around the OS has begun to break.Start Menu: whenever I click the start menu, it will stay up, if I click anything else and I mean anything on the start...
  4. Windows 11 update rolled back because of Start Menu opening issues

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 11 update rolled back because of Start Menu opening issues: Microsoft confirmed a new Windows 11 issue this weekend that is causing Start Menu opening issues on the operating system. Some users started to report the issue to Microsoft after installation of KB5014668 on devices running Windows 11. [ATTACH] KB5014668 is the latest...
  5. Search opens on top of start

in Cortana
    Search opens on top of start: Hello, I updated to version 20H2 today and every time I click in the start menu button, the search menu opens on top of it. I can't use the start menu because of that. It doesn't matter where I click, I can't get to the start menu. It would be much of help if anyone else...
  6. uwp apps not opening

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    uwp apps not opening: most of the universal windows platform apps windows store apps won't open on my pc for some reason, though system apps such as quick assist, windows defender, settings, and windows sandbox do open. is there a reason this happens and a fix for this issue? video demonstration:...
  7. Issues with Windows start menu SEARCH

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Issues with Windows start menu SEARCH: [ATTACH] Previously, when I would search using the Windows start menu search I would get the result highlighted for me and I could just press enter. Press WIN key > type app name > press enter Now, if I follow the same process above, it doesn't highlight, it shows all...
  8. start menu and search issue

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    start menu and search issue: [ATTACH] Hi, i have update to 2004 version and now the search panel opens at the same time that the start menu ! wtf ! how to get rid of it even if it's permanently, i don't use the search panel......
  9. UWP Apps not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    UWP Apps not opening: Hello, I changed the permissions of the WindowsApps folder, as i was trying to edit some of the files, however now the apps will not open. I am sure that this is not due to me modifying any files. Is there a way to restore the permissions, or what permissions need to be...
  10. Start is back ++ issue

in Windows 10 Customization
    Start is back ++ issue: I have something funky happening with my start menu. I am using Sci-fi t3 theme for windows 10 and it seems like the scaling is off. Any suggestions on how to rectify this would be much appreciated. I have tried everything I can think of. [img] 18151