Windows 10: The write failed because the drive returned error information that could not be recovered...

Discus and support The write failed because the drive returned error information that could not be recovered... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am running Windows 10 Version 20H2. I have been getting this error message trying to create system repair discs on a CD media. Using a DVD media... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by WingWong2, Dec 2, 2020.

1. WingWong2 Win User

The write failed because the drive returned error information that could not be recovered...

I am running Windows 10 Version 20H2. I have been getting this error message trying to create system repair discs on a CD media. Using a DVD media sometimes it works sometimes it don't. My DVD burner is a 3 years old Liteon iHAS324 F DVD rewriter manufactured 2017 which has the firmware CL8J - the current firmware downloaded from Liteon's website don't seem to recognise the DVD. Going through various forums I couldn't find a solution to this error message. Just the other day I decided to replace the Liteon with a Asus DRW 24D5MT rewriter manufactured January 2020. With this Asus rewriter I was able to create a system repair disk on CD with no issue. So I reckoned it was the Liteon but funny enough how is that I could burn a Windows ISO on a dual layer DVD media but not create a system repair disk on CD media.

:)

WingWong2, Dec 2, 2020
  2. newtekie1 Win User

CD drive error

1) Close all open programs
    2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
    3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    SYSTEM
    CurrentControlSet
    Control
    Class
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    4) This folder is the DVD/CD-ROM Drive Class Description in the registry. Look for any of the following names in the right hand column.

UpperFilters
    LowerFilters
    UpperFilters.bak
    LowerFilters.bak
    5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, right-click on them and choose Delete
    6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
    7) Reboot your computer
    8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or DVD drive is gone.

And it likely has something to do with the emulated drive you have listed there.

newtekie1, Dec 2, 2020
  3. Fernandz Win User
    How To Format A Write Protected Flash Memory ?

¿You already tried this one?...

Run CMD

1. diskpart
    2. list disk

Then in the 3º step, put the correct number of disk in the list for the usb flash (if it's listed in disk 3, then you'll have to write select disk 3).

2. select disk #
    3. clean
    4. create partition primary
    5. select partition 1
    6. active
    7. format fs=fat32
    8. assign
    9. exit

with that commands you will format the flash drive in fat32, if you have a large drive you can select also "format fs=ntfs" in step 7.

good luck!

Fernandz, Dec 2, 2020
Thema:

The write failed because the drive returned error information that could not be recovered...

1. The write failed because the drive returned error information that could not be recovered... - Similar Threads - write failed drive

2. Is there a way that my drive could be broken because of BitLocker?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is there a way that my drive could be broken because of BitLocker?: Is there a way that my drive could be broken because of BitLocker? My dad only tells me that BitLocker will broke my disk and it will not be repairable....
  3. Is there a way that my drive could be broken because of BitLocker?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is there a way that my drive could be broken because of BitLocker?: Is there a way that my drive could be broken because of BitLocker? My dad only tells me that BitLocker will broke my disk and it will not be repairable....
  4. I could not format my thumb drive, it is write protected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I could not format my thumb drive, it is write protected: Hi,I used every possible way to format my thumb drivemy thumb drive doesn't have protection switch slider:1. format through file explorer:It did not work.2. diskpart:DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0...
  5. I could not format my thumb drive, it is write protected

I could not format my thumb drive, it is write protected: Hi,I used every possible way to format my thumb drivemy thumb drive doesn't have protection switch slider:1. format through file explorer:It did not work.2. diskpart:DISKPART> list disk Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt -------- ------------- ------- ------- --- --- Disk 0...
  6. An error occurred while writing installation information to disk

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    An error occurred while writing installation information to disk: Hello all, all of a sudden I started getting getting the above error message regardless if I am trying to install or uninstall a program. Its been driving me crazy, my hard drive is 1TB with 800GB Free space. I looked everywhere without success. Any help is greatly appreciate...
  7. Error Recovering from USB Recover Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Error Recovering from USB Recover Drive: When restoring my Acer Spin from the recovery USB it runs to about 57% and the gives an error. The SrtTrail.txt shows the following at the end: Root Cause Found Boot Manager is missing or corrupt Repair action: File repair Result: Failed. Error code = 0x2 How do I...
  8. Information of drive errors for the future

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Information of drive errors for the future: So recently I encountered a problem on my PC in which my audio would not work and I was unable to open most apps apart from a few options/settings apps. I then spotted the "Restart to repair driver errors" message so I proceeded to research how to fix it. Nothing I tried...
  9. Application Failed to start because no QT Platform could be initialized

Application Failed to start because no QT Platform could be initialized: After a series of recent Windows updates my Surface displays the following error when we log in OneDrive - This application failed to start because no Qt platform plugin could be initialized. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. I look around the laptop and...
  10. Error message "this application failed to start because no qt platform plugin could be...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Error message "this application failed to start because no qt platform plugin could be...: I recently downloaded and installed a demo version of Stellar's Data Recovery software to see if I could salvage some files from a malfunctioning USB drive. I ended up finding another solution and never ran the software. I ended up removing it using the Windows uninstall...