Windows 10: There are exactly zero reasons why Windows Media Player should sieze control of .jar files

Discus and support There are exactly zero reasons why Windows Media Player should sieze control of .jar files in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; And yet it does. And when it does, Windows offers no mechanism to change it back. The Java runtime is not an option in app defaults settings. This can... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by pjcamp, Nov 2, 2020.

1. pjcamp Win User

There are exactly zero reasons why Windows Media Player should sieze control of .jar files

And yet it does. And when it does, Windows offers no mechanism to change it back. The Java runtime is not an option in app defaults settings. This can be fixed by downloading and installing the JRE again, but when it happens IN THE MIDDLE OF CLASS, that takes a ridiculous amount of time. Why on Earth would Windows think that a .jar file is media? No reason I can think of.

:)

pjcamp, Nov 2, 2020
  2. Yaqub K Win User

windows media player

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

What is the exact error message you get when you to try play files on Windows Media Player?

I suggest you to run both Windows Media Player Library and Settings troubleshooter and check.

Step 1: If your computer is having problems playing video or audio files in Windows Media Player, try using the Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter checks the configuration and network settings
    for Windows Media Player to make sure that you can play content you've downloaded and saved to your computer, or content streaming over a network or the Internet.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Settings
      and follow the instructions.

Step 2: If your computer is having problems accessing your collection of digital media files in the Windows Media Player Library, try using the Windows Media Player Library troubleshooter to fix the problem. The troubleshooter makes sure
    Windows Media Player is correctly installed on your computer, and checks to see whether your Player Library is corrupted.

Steps to run Windows Media Player Settings troubleshooter are as follows:

• Press Windows key + X and select Control Panel.
    • In the search box, type troubleshooter, and then click
      Troubleshooting.
    • Click View all, and then click Windows Media Player Library
      and follow the instructions.

Please reply us on the status of the issue to assist you further.

Yaqub K, Nov 2, 2020
  3. DaveM121 Win User
    jar files

Fixing .jar file opening on Windows requires two steps:

• Open the Control Panel, and chose "Default Programs - Associate a File type or protocol with a program". Find .jar extension (Executable JAR file) there, and pick Java as default program to open this extension. It will probably be listed as "Java Platform(SE)".
      A faster alternative perhaps is straightforward right-click on a .jar file, and then change associated program by clicking on the "Change..." button.
    • Now open the regedit, and open the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\jarfile\shell\open\command key. Luckilly for us, we may specify parameters there for the (Default) value. This is normally: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\javaw.exe" -jar "%1" %*

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Nov 2, 2020
  4. There are exactly zero reasons why Windows Media Player should sieze control of .jar files

Faulty Windows Media Player

Windows Mesdis Player developed a fault (Played jerky an missed bits) so I down loaded Media Player 10.

It's no better. Any suggestions (I run Windows 98)

christieau, Nov 2, 2020
Thema:

There are exactly zero reasons why Windows Media Player should sieze control of .jar files

1. There are exactly zero reasons why Windows Media Player should sieze control of .jar files - Similar Threads - are exactly zero

2. Why is Media Player missing important functionality from Windows Media Player?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Why is Media Player missing important functionality from Windows Media Player?: Microsoft expects everyone to move to a media player that: cannot add album art or edit details of FLAC files WMP can, remove specific albums or songs from your library WMP can, or edit details of multiple songs at a time WMP can??Why exactly is Microsoft forcing a media...
  3. Why won't Windows Media Player load associated files?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why won't Windows Media Player load associated files?: Windows Media Player won't load and play associated files.I ran SFC.exe but that did not solve the problem.Program returns "No such interface supported" message....
  4. Why won't Windows Media Player load associated files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why won't Windows Media Player load associated files?: Windows Media Player won't load and play associated files.I ran SFC.exe but that did not solve the problem.Program returns "No such interface supported" message....
  5. Controls on media player won't hide

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Controls on media player won't hide: All I want to do it hide the controls on windows media player but there doesn't seem like there's any option to do this. Searching for the problems leads me to answers saying I need to click on 'tools'. There is no tools button or option that I can see. The only thing I can...
  6. Controls on media player won't hide

Controls on media player won't hide: All I want to do it hide the controls on windows media player but there doesn't seem like there's any option to do this. Searching for the problems leads me to answers saying I need to click on 'tools'. There is no tools button or option that I can see. The only thing I can...
  7. Why there are 3 media SW? Media Player, Windows Media Player and Films & TV?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why there are 3 media SW? Media Player, Windows Media Player and Films & TV?: It is just curiosity and I am thinking to delete one of them. Actually I've been using VLC for movies and musik spotify. Long time agora I used to use Winamp! Anyway, are those SW that come along with Windows 11 all relevant? Should I keep the 3? Which is the best for music...
  8. Why there are 3 media SW? Media Player, Windows Media Player and Films & TV?

Why there are 3 media SW? Media Player, Windows Media Player and Films & TV?: It is just curiosity and I am thinking to delete one of them. Actually I've been using VLC for movies and musik spotify. Long time agora I used to use Winamp! Anyway, are those SW that come along with Windows 11 all relevant? Should I keep the 3? Which is the best for music...
  9. zero access to any shares for zero reason

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    zero access to any shares for zero reason: I make a share. how do i access it? what do i put into the box it brings up? It is certainly not the name and pass of the user account. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/zero-access-to-any-shares-for-zero-reason/beb229dc-b6a7-4da1-a07b-55ff782be0e0
  10. my .jar files are set to Windows Media Player and i don't know how to reset it

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my .jar files are set to Windows Media Player and i don't know how to reset it: Hello, I was messing around with the settings in my computer and i accidentally changed my .jar files to windows media player files. I don't know how to change it back and was wondering if anyone can help with this, thank you!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Windows media player.jar