Windows 10: There is 2.4 GB of ghost RAM usage in my laptop.

Discus and support There is 2.4 GB of ghost RAM usage in my laptop. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Dear Everyone, There is a problem inside my new Hp Pavilion cc-15 132Tx laptop. It is always showing 2.4 GB of extra RAM getting... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Kuntal Kumar Ghosh, Sep 18, 2018.

1. There is 2.4 GB of ghost RAM usage in my laptop.

Dear Everyone,

There is a problem inside my new Hp Pavilion cc-15 132Tx laptop. It is always showing 2.4 GB of extra RAM getting consumed! In fact, I am an avid Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge user. I also play R2 Games Wartune and League of Angels on my Laptop. Today, when I added up all the Processes (System Processes + User Processes) showing in the "Processes Tab" in my Task Manager window, I found that all of them consumed a total of 2.95 GB of my RAM. However, when I clicked on "Performances Tab" in my Task Manager, I found the total RAM consumption was 5.2 GB out of my 8.0 GB of RAM.
    Well, I am totally surprised about my RAM consumption as clearly (5.2 GB - 2.95 GB) = 2.25 GB of RAM is getting consumed as ghost RAM. I remember that recently I used "Hp Support Assistant" which is given by default like an application with any Hp system and did many driver updates and a BIOS update from my previous F28 version of BIOS to a F30 version of BIOS. My intuition told me that perhaps if I get a "System Recovery" and a "BIOS Rollback Update Recovery" performed into my system and then run my applications like Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, R2 Games Wartune and League of Angels, the issue of ghost RAM will not occur and will disappear.
    Today, an engineer visited my house to check my Hp system and observed the ghost-RAM issue. To my surprise, he clarified that everything was running ok and that the 2.25 GB of extra ghost RAM that had been figured out by me was being used for the "internal proper functioning" of Windows 10! He also claimed that the basic minimum system requirements for Windows 10 Operating System running on a 64-bit machine is 2 GB of RAM. He attributed my 2.25 GB of RAM to this minimum-requirement RAM needed for running Windows 10! Well, I seriously doubt him and am not sure if his statements were right.
    It is because, I think 2 GB of RAM is needed during installation of Windows 10 on a 64-bit machine. However, once installed, it would show 0 GB or a less value in the Task Manager if no applications are running and everything is closed and still. I am very confused about this issue and so I wish to ask to all of you here if my 2.25 GB of ghost-RAM is really due to the requirement of Windows 10, running on my 64-bit Hp Pavilion laptop or not.
    I sincerely hope that you will all kindly clarify my doubts and thus oblige.
    Thanking You,

Yours faithfully,

Dated:- 18th September 2018 Kuntal Kumar Ghosh

Time:- 6:42 P.M. (I.S.T.)

:)

Kuntal Kumar Ghosh, Sep 18, 2018
  2. knute97 Win User

Task Manager RAM Usage

My computer is running 64 bit Windows 10 with 6 GB of RAM.

I have been monitoring my memory usage via Task Manager and occasionally download tasklist via the cmd line.

What has been bothering me is that my RAM usage at reboot starts at 34%, and left alone, increases to ~75-80% without running any programs.
    (I do have start up programs including McAfee, Dropbox, Seagate console, gadgets, etc.)

When I analyze the tasklist download file via Excel, the total RAM memory usage is approximately 3.1 GB at 79%.
    Doing the math, this means there is only 4 GB in use?

I have 2 questions:

1. Does Task Manager list all the RAM usage or is there some background usage that is not shown.?

2. Is there any other way to monitor RAM leakage?

knute97, Sep 18, 2018
  3. New Windows 10 Laptop 4 GB ram use at Idle

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

You might be facing this issue due to several reasons like low virtual memory, third party software conflicts, virus threat on the computer etc.

Even though no programs or applications are running, some background services can show memory usage and disk usage. In order to check which particular program is using the memory, I would suggest you to check the Task manager.

Refer to these steps:

1. Press Windows key + X, select
    task manager.

2. Click on the ‘Processes’ tab and it will show you show you a list of programs and services running and their corresponding memory usage and disk usage.

3. Check if any of the item listed is consuming more memory or disk usage than normal.

I suggest you to try the following steps and check if it helps.

You need to increase this virtual memory.

Make it equivalent to your RAM size for the initial size and twice of the initial size in maximum size and make sure you have the same amount of free space in your hard drive in each drive.

To do this, follow the following steps:

1. Go to Control Panel (Press Windows key + X)> All control panel items > System

2. Click on Advanced system settings.

3. Under Performance, click on settings

4. Go to Advanced tab

5. Under Virtual memory, click on Change

6. Un-check "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" check box

7. Select your windows drive (where OS is installed)

8. Click on Custom size radio button

9. Set Initial size equivalent to your RAM size in MB

10. Set Maximum size to twice of your RAM size in MB

11. Click on Set

12. Click on OK thrice

13. Restart your system

Hope it helps.

Let us know if the issue persist, we are glad to assist you further.

Anusha Verma, Sep 18, 2018
  4. Lukas Win User

There is 2.4 GB of ghost RAM usage in my laptop.

Computer 28 gb of ram usage.

This happen when I installed windows 10. I never had in windows 8.1 ram usage of 28. Now with windows 10 after booting up computer I always have problems with RAM.

In windows 8.1 my computer maximum used 16gb of ram when I was playing 2 games.
    In windows 10 - after boot, my computer within 4 minutes starts using 4 gb of ram. After 30 minutes he starts using 28 gb of ram out of 32. After cleaning msconfig, disabling all startup programs it still uses 28 gb of ram after using computer within 5-20 minutes. No programs are starting, after browsing with Microsoft edge, computer uses 28 gb of ram. Doesn't matter what I do it uses a lot of RAM. Even if computer not in use, it shows that he uses a lot of RAM.

Can't figure out what to do. I did clean windows 10 installation into my SSD. Still same usage. All drivers are UP to date. Task manager doesn't show who uses that kind of RAM.

How to solve this mystery? Should I downgrade to windows 8.1 or windows 7? *Sad

Lukas, Sep 18, 2018
Thema:

There is 2.4 GB of ghost RAM usage in my laptop.

1. There is 2.4 GB of ghost RAM usage in my laptop. - Similar Threads - ghost RAM usage

2. 8 gb ram laptop idle 60% ram usage

in Windows 10 Gaming
    8 gb ram laptop idle 60% ram usage: Subject: Complaint Regarding Excessive RAM Usage on Idle Laptop I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to bring to your attention a concerning issue I have been facing with my Samsung book 2 . The problem pertains to the excessive RAM usage that I have observed even...
  3. 8 gb ram laptop idle 60% ram usage

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    8 gb ram laptop idle 60% ram usage: Subject: Complaint Regarding Excessive RAM Usage on Idle Laptop I hope this letter finds you well. I am writing to bring to your attention a concerning issue I have been facing with my Samsung book 2 . The problem pertains to the excessive RAM usage that I have observed even...
  4. Windows Command Processor taking up 2 GB of my Laptop's ram.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Command Processor taking up 2 GB of my Laptop's ram.: I saw someone else with the same issue here, but it seemed the solution varies from case to case... I have the autolog.arn and both FRST scan files FRST and Addition I just don't know what to do with it.I'm pretty sure this Windows Command Processor is the reason I've had...
  5. Windows Command Processor taking up 2 GB of my Laptop's ram.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Command Processor taking up 2 GB of my Laptop's ram.: I saw someone else with the same issue here, but it seemed the solution varies from case to case... I have the autolog.arn and both FRST scan files FRST and Addition I just don't know what to do with it.I'm pretty sure this Windows Command Processor is the reason I've had...
  6. Only 4 of 8 gb ram available

in Windows 10 Support
    Only 4 of 8 gb ram available: Thanks for reading this post. I have a Dell Inspirion 5770 laptop. Screenshots of some pertinent specs attached. My task command prompt >systeminfo shows that I have 8,055 mb total physical memory installed but only 3,881 mb available physical memory. I have seached the web...
  7. Win 10 not run on 4 GB ram

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win 10 not run on 4 GB ram: I have win 10 pro which is run on 3 gb ram but when i update my ram to 4gb win 10 pro dose not open.BIOS shows 4GB memory but win 10 pro did not run WHy? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-10-not-run-on-4-gb-ram/0dd28cd2-d01c-4db8-8a6e-de56e6e102cd
  8. Is 4 GB of RAM Enough?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is 4 GB of RAM Enough?: Work is sending me a laptop since my personal one has been giving me issues. However, when looking at the specs, I noticed that the RAM is only 4 GB (i3 processor), and this has me pretty worried. Specifically, the model is a Dell Inspiron 14 5000 Series 2-in1 (5406). I am a...
  9. Idle ram usage over 8 GB??

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Idle ram usage over 8 GB??: My few months old HP omen 15 2020 with 16gb ram, i7 10750H and 2060 geforce rtx scared me a lot this morning. The keyboard felt little laggy like it was using lot of ram so I opened the omen center and found out that the laptop is using 8,16 gb ram with no programs open??...
  10. Computer 28 gb of ram usage.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer 28 gb of ram usage.: This happen when I installed windows 10. I never had in windows 8.1 ram usage of 28. Now with windows 10 after booting up computer I always have problems with RAM. In windows 8.1 my computer maximum used 16gb of ram when I was playing 2 games. In windows 10 - after boot,...