Windows 10: There is a black Cross sign rather the desktop app icon

Discus and support There is a black Cross sign rather the desktop app icon in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I typed Task Manager in search bar... I found a cross sign in black background rather than its original icon... I searched in Google found that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Sarabjeet Kaur Kohli, May 14, 2020.

1. There is a black Cross sign rather the desktop app icon

When I typed Task Manager in search bar... I found a cross sign in black background rather than its original icon...

I searched in Google found that the users have a small cross in the original icon... but in my case the original icon is completely replaced by the cross in black background.

There is a black Cross sign rather the desktop app icon 7c023e10-5ed0-4bea-995a-879f6b0606d0?upload=true.png

This icon problem is also with many other apps such as command prompt, task scheduler, control panel, audacity, Vlc media player, run, etc.

Almost all the apps are showing this cross icon rather than their original icon.

Only some apps are showing their original icons.

Also, sticky notes was showing this problem but i don't know but it reappeared...

I downloaded VLC Media Player the day before... and I got a sudden slowdown in respond time of my PC after Shutdown.

is this because of this?... is any virus causing this?

:)

Sarabjeet Kaur Kohli, May 14, 2020

2. Remove Linux Desktop Icons

I am not sure whether this will work (Ubuntu does not have icons like that on the desktop by default), but I suggest opening the trash bin and sweeping the icons into the window showing the trash bin.

Peter1986C, May 14, 2020
  3. Desktop Icons Won't Stay Put

Hi Laurie,

As per the issue description I understand that you are facing issues with desktop icons.

I suggest you try the following step in order to arrange the icons.

• Right click on the desktop.
    • Click on view
    • Check the option auto arrange icons.
    Let us know if this helps.

Thanks.

Divya Murugan, May 14, 2020
  4. There is a black Cross sign rather the desktop app icon

app icons

For this issue, it is possible that the drop shadow of the desktop icon labels is enabled. We suggest that you follow these steps to disable this feature:

• Right-click This PC in File Explorer, and choose
      Properties.
    • Choose Advanced system settings.
    • Click Settings in Performance.
    • In Visual Effects settings, deselect Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop, and then tap
      OK.

About the issue with the Start menu, we suggest that you run the
    Start menu troubleshooter
    . After you've completed the troubleshooter, restart your device and check if the issue persists.

If you need further assistance, let us know.

Aileen Alf, May 14, 2020
Thema:

There is a black Cross sign rather the desktop app icon

1. There is a black Cross sign rather the desktop app icon - Similar Threads - black Cross sign

2. Cross on Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cross on Desktop Icons: Hi all,I have just got a Dell Inspiron 3910 with Windows 11.Some of my desktop icons have a white cross in a red circle on them instead on the white square with the blue arrow.Can someone give me a step by step guide on how to fix this I am not an IT expert...
  3. Cross on Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cross on Desktop Icons: Hi all,I have just got a Dell Inspiron 3910 with Windows 11.Some of my desktop icons have a white cross in a red circle on them instead on the white square with the blue arrow.Can someone give me a step by step guide on how to fix this I am not an IT expert...
  4. Windows 10 search bar app icons do not work, a white cross with black background is there...

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search bar app icons do not work, a white cross with black background is there...: Hello folksWhen using search bar, icons appear blacked out and with a cross.I have tried to DISM.exe scanhealth-restorehealth-startcomponentcleanup-sfc scannowI have also tried to reinstall windowsand restart file explorerVersion of windows is:windows 10 pro update :...
  5. Black desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Black desktop Icons: Been fighting this problem for a while now and tried everything I could find. Today I came here and found a file to restore the shortcut icon arrow and now all is fine, so far. My question is who at MS thought that a shortcut arrow was a good idea? Also, has anybody tried to...
  6. Windows 10 search app icons broken, only white cross on black background

in Cortana
    Windows 10 search app icons broken, only white cross on black background: I recently increased the performance of windows and I felt , hey finally my computer got speeded up but after a day or two I got this but I don't think this is the root cause ....
  7. Application Icon changes to a cross sign.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Application Icon changes to a cross sign.: Hi ! Recently the icons of many applications have turned into cross signs . These include - Task Manager Command Prompt Windows Media Player and etc. [ATTACH] What should I do to restore the icons back ? And also , this didn't occur previously but only from a...
  8. Camera app shows gray icon with a cross sign

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Camera app shows gray icon with a cross sign: camera is not working comes up ongray screen with pic of camera crossed out... no visual for video too.. cant find how to fix ***Modified title from: when I go to camera the screen comes up gray w/ pic of camera with a cross out sirn.... no visual for video too cant fix...
  9. Windows 10 search app icons broken, only white cross on black background

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 search app icons broken, only white cross on black background: Hello Community, when i do an Cortana Search on my Windows 10, all App Icons in the search results are broken: [ATTACH] What I tried so far without success: - Reset Icon cache - Reset Thumbnail Cache - dism restorehealth My Windows Version: [ATTACH] Any idea how to...
  10. Desktop Showing Live Tiles Rather Than Desktop Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop Showing Live Tiles Rather Than Desktop Icons: For some reason all of a sudden my computer is showing the Windows "Live Tiles" rather than the desktop icons that had been showing. How do I get things back to the way it was? 61443

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 search apps show as a cross

2. Search icons show cross windows 10