Windows 10: There is a X mark behind some files and apps, and can't change icons

Discus and support There is a X mark behind some files and apps, and can't change icons in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hello!There is a X mark behind some files and apps, and can't change iconsAnd i have lots of space!... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Malak Anas, Aug 29, 2021.

1. There is a X mark behind some files and apps, and can't change icons

Hello!There is a X mark behind some files and apps, and can't change iconsAnd i have lots of space!

:)

Malak Anas, Aug 29, 2021

2. Icons from apps aren´t displayed correctly

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query at Microsoft community.

Do the apps work fine apart form the icons not displaying correctly? If so I would suggest you to run an SFC scan and check if it helps. If the issue persists you may run DISM command and check.

Follow this steps:

• Press Windows+X.

• Click on Command Prompt (Admin).

• Type the command SFC /SCANNOW and
        DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and hit
        Enter.
    Hope the information provided was helpful and do let us know if you need any assistance in the future. We will be glad to help.

Rohit Chettri, Aug 29, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    How to change default app for file type

'Open With > Choose another app' has three step, in the first it only offers apps registered for that file type. If you click 'More apps' it lists all registered apps regardless of suitability. Both these steps have the tick-box for 'Always use...' in my 18363.752. The third step, if needed, is 'Look for another app on this PC'. The 'Always use...' must be ticked before taking this step if you want the change to stick. However, WMP appears at the second step.

There is a X mark behind some files and apps, and can't change icons [​IMG]

For a quick look at a JPG almost anything (including WMP) is more practical than Photos which on my system takes more than ten seconds just to open a photo. The OP is probably not aware that the Windows Photo Viewer is still available in W10, but hidden away. That's my default viewer for JPG.

Restore Windows Photo Viewer in Windows 10

And, once enabled, is available in Settings > Apps > Default apps.

There is a X mark behind some files and apps, and can't change icons [​IMG]

4. orealius Win User

There is a X mark behind some files and apps, and can't change icons

X Mark on Desktop Icons

I recently noticed that I have x marks on the lower left of all my desktop icons. If I logoff and logon they disappear...until I add another icon. They then all come back. Have been searching for a solution.
    Any help appreciated.

orealius, Aug 29, 2021
Thema:

There is a X mark behind some files and apps, and can't change icons

1. There is a X mark behind some files and apps, and can't change icons - Similar Threads - mark behind files

2. My desktop icons have check marks and red x's

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My desktop icons have check marks and red x's: How can i removed the red x in my desktop? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-desktop-icons-have-check-marks-and-red-xs/7041e9d9-a2b1-4e73-898d-d7914fe0e910
  3. Accidental icon change for some Windows Apps

in Windows 10 Customization
    Accidental icon change for some Windows Apps: Hello everybody As you can see in the screenshot below, I accidentally changed icons for some Windows apps such as Store and Calculator apps. I did it accidentally while I was doing something else. And now I can not restore those icons back to their original. I uninstalled...
  4. X's on some icons

X's on some icons: This morning when I turned on the pc I found gray x's on some of the icons on my desktop. I used carbonite to download files last night, could this be why they appeared? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/xs-on-some-icons/43aab66f-e65d-4b41-a88e-988da1dcb5fa
  5. Red X marks in File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Red X marks in File Explorer: My old computer and new computer are both running Windows 10. But on the new one I find two things that are not on the older one. 1 OneDrive seems to be built in. 2 Many files and folders show up in File Explorer with red X marks beside them. So I have two questions: 1...
  6. Some apps does not have icons in search, instead they have an X icon

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Some apps does not have icons in search, instead they have an X icon: Looks like this And this submitted by /u/brown_nigga [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fjmses/some_apps_does_not_have_icons_in_search_instead/
  7. Getting the x-ray mark on apps background

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Getting the x-ray mark on apps background: Hello After upgrade the windows 10 1903 and build is 18362.418 Please find the screenshot . [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/getting-the-x-ray-mark-on-apps-background/5872258a-d029-408e-bf5c-a39f51b86b04
  8. check marks and x's in file explorer?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    check marks and x's in file explorer?: What are the check marks and x's at the corner of files? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/check-marks-and-xs-in-file-explorer/f5c7e789-752f-420e-9914-97a028e6896e"
  9. X Mark on Desktop Icons

X Mark on Desktop Icons: I recently noticed that I have x marks on the lower left of all my desktop icons. If I logoff and logon they disappear...until I add another icon. They then all come back. Have been searching for a solution. Any help appreciated. 115685
  10. Black Square behind some of my Folder Icons

in Windows 10 Support
    Black Square behind some of my Folder Icons: Hi, I just had this problem earlier. I had this Folder that has a Black Square behind it. I tried refreshing and it didn't work. I tried moving my files from that folder into another it worked. Deleting it and After refreshing, 4 folders have been affected by this problem....