Windows 10: There is an annoying grey box whenever I search for something in the Start menu, does...

Discus and support There is an annoying grey box whenever I search for something in the Start menu, does... in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ViperBurstYahir [link] [comments]... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/ViperBurstYahir, Nov 5, 2020.

1. There is an annoying grey box whenever I search for something in the Start menu, does...

/u/ViperBurstYahir, Nov 5, 2020

2. Start Menu Search

Hi,

About your issue regarding the Start menu or Search, in order for us to assist you better. Please answer the question:

• Were there any recent changes made to your system prior to the issue?

In the meantime, we suggest you to check this link:
    Troubleshoot problems opening the Start menu or Cortana
    . It contains troubleshooting steps prior to the issue.

We'll look forward to your response.

Phillip Pio, Nov 5, 2020
  3. search box

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in Windows 10.We sincerely regret for the inconvenience caused.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if are able to find search box.

• Right click on the task bar.

• Go to Cortana.

• Click on show search box.
    Now check if you are able to find search box.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

Divya Murugan, Nov 5, 2020
  4. dalchina Win User

There is an annoying grey box whenever I search for something in the Start menu, does...

Shortcuts to Folders/Files in Start Menu Search Box

Hi, great you managed to fix Cortana- that can be difficult. Far too fragile- early stage for Win 10.

How to give cortana extra commands(kind of) / open your programs. | Se7enSins Gaming Community
    is this:
    Consider the old start menu folders in Win 7/8 and earlier. One of them is the folder mentioned in that article. So all that's happening is Cortana is finding things in the old start menu folder, just like the search box in the start menu in previous windows editions.

Now I upgraded and I had/have a LOT of programs installed. One of them is 7-zip. So if I type 7-zip in the search box, it finds it. So all that's happening is they are suggesting adding some unique string in the old start menu folder.
    =======================================

Note that there seems to be a bug in the new start menu, and I've come across another post on this forum exploring what I also see. Thus not all folders in the old start menu are available via 'All apps' - only some. And where those folders in my start menu contained subfolders, those subfolder contents are stripped out and presented linearly. Thus if I look at one folder (which containtained the shortcut folders of many programs) in the Win 10 start menu, go to the arrow and view the contents, as I scan down, suddenly I see Help Help Help Help Help... (all the help shortcuts from various programs which were nicely contained in subfolders in the old start menu.

Classic Shell presents these properly.

What does this apparent major oversight mean for this approach? Well, if the folder is empty (New Win 10 install) then it will work fine. If the string you want to search for is unique, it will work fine. However the entry 'should' also appear in the Win 10 start menu All Apps listing. (Unless, because of the bug, it's not displayed!).

dalchina, Nov 5, 2020
Thema:

There is an annoying grey box whenever I search for something in the Start menu, does...

1. There is an annoying grey box whenever I search for something in the Start menu, does... - Similar Threads - annoying grey box

2. whenever I use windows search and I type something it has a grey box that covers half the...

in Windows 10 Customization
    whenever I use windows search and I type something it has a grey box that covers half the...: Whenever I open the type here to search box and type something there is a gray box that covers the window. For some reason it doesn't let me upload the image on here and tells me something went wrong so here is a google drive link to the picture with preview available gray...
  3. whenever I use windows search and I type something it has a grey box that covers half the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    whenever I use windows search and I type something it has a grey box that covers half the...: Whenever I open the type here to search box and type something there is a gray box that covers the window. For some reason it doesn't let me upload the image on here and tells me something went wrong so here is a google drive link to the picture with preview available gray...
  4. whenever I use windows search and I type something it has a grey box that covers half the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. start menu and search box is not responding on clicking

start menu and search box is not responding on clicking: Need help start menu,search box and notification not working inshort tried windows settings and services is not opening and its just freeze. I have tried all available solution from youtube but its ain't working...
  6. Start menu and search box become unresponsive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Start menu and search box become unresponsive: I'm running the latest version of Windows, but this started before I upgraded. Whenever it happens, I have to restart the Windows Explorer service to get it to start back. I've looked at the Event Viewer, but nothing seems to jump out. The 2 warnings I see a lot are the...
  7. Start menu hidden or overlapped by search box

Start menu hidden or overlapped by search box: Hi guys, I searched a lot about this issue, my start menu is hidden by the search box. If i invocate it by pressing the start menu key windows key or a click on the button, my start menu is hidden by the search box. This was present in the 1909 and continues with the may...
  8. Start Menu Search Box Suddenly Changed

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu Search Box Suddenly Changed: Where you see the Start Menu for Windows 10 on the lower left side of your screen, there is usually a white box which reads 'Type here to search'. I can no longer type anything there on my desktop or laptop. I now get a black popup that has some apps at the top and other...
  9. cortana search box and start menu optimization

in Cortana
    cortana search box and start menu optimization: Hi, Just suggesting the option to pin (or add) the cortana search box to the tile side of the start menu. ie. click start, input goes to cortana search box within start menu, enter search, all or half of tile side turn into regular cortana search menu with results. tbh I'm...
  10. Start Menu lacks search box, is this normal?

in Windows 10 Support
    Start Menu lacks search box, is this normal?: When tryting to follow instructions I've noticed that my default configured Start Menu in Windows 10 seems to be missing some kind of Search or Find box similar to what Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 had.... Any idea how to get it back? 56216