Windows 10: "There might be a problem with the driver for the WiFi adapter"

Discus and support "There might be a problem with the driver for the WiFi adapter" in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I was using my Surface 7 Pro as usual this morning when suddenly my internet was not working. I went through the regular disconnect/connect, run... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by OverexcitedDragon, May 5, 2020.

1. "There might be a problem with the driver for the WiFi adapter"

I was using my Surface 7 Pro as usual this morning when suddenly my internet was not working. I went through the regular disconnect/connect, run troubleshoot, and even uninstalled my NordVPN app thinking there could be an issue with it. No luck.

The network diagnostics gave me the "there might be a problem with the driver for the wifi adapter" message, so I tried rolling back the network adapter update. Nothing.

I then used my spouse's laptop to manually download the latest WiFi adapter driver and then used a flash drive to pass it onto my own laptop. Still nothing.

I used a few other suggestions, tho I can't remember them all, that involved the cmd prompt, and it hasn't budged.

I tried downloading the May 3rd update but it's apparently impossible without internet connection, so I'm stumped.

The internet icon is a little globe with a Ø on it, it has only the Airplane Mode option and the hover message is "Not connected - No connections are available"

What are my next steps?

:)

OverexcitedDragon, May 5, 2020
  2. Zontir Win User

Problems when sharing WiFi with the Virtual Adapter

For many years I have always shared Internet to my devices like phone and tablet with my PC's WiFi antenna through the Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter, I only use it for that, since I have a cable connection, and I start the wifi with the command NETSH WLAN start hostednetwork previously having done the settings of NETSH WLAN set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid="Wifi" key="password".

For my devices to connect it is necessary that the Virtual Adapter that is created with that command has access to the Internet, for this I have to share the Internet from my Ethernet adapter to the Virtual Wifi adapter.

For some time now (a couple of months) I've been experiencing problems when sharing the Internet through that medium. The problem is that when I start the WiFi my devices do not connect, they say "Getting IP address" and never connect.

I have found the solution and I have to do the following:

1. Disable the Virtual Adapter with the command netsh wlan stop hostednetwork.
    2. Remove the connection sharing from the Ethernet Adapter.
    3. Activate the Virtual Adapter with the command netsh wlan start hostednetwork.
    4. Adding connection sharing from the Ethernet Adapter to the Virtual Adapter again.

By doing these steps my devices can now be connected to the Wifi, but sometimes it doesn't work if I do these steps too quickly. I have noticed that if I do step 3 and 4 too quickly it does not work and I have to repeat the process but doing these last two steps more slowly, until the Virtual Adapter gets an IP address 192.168.137.1 from Internet Protocol version 4

Also this problem does not occur 100% of the time. Sometimes when I run the command to start the Wifi everything happens fine and my devices connect well but this only works after my PC has been on for at least 5 minutes (I haven't counted it). If I run the command as soon as my PC has turned on then it doesn't work anymore.

As I mentioned before this problem didn't occur before because I had configured a .bat file that ran as soon as the PC was turned on with the NETSH WLAN start hostednetwork command and everything worked fine.

Now, I would like to go back to before when everything was fine so that when my PC starts up the WiFi too and I don't have to do all this protocol all the time, but with a simple command everything is solved.

Could someone give me a hand with this?

Zontir, May 5, 2020
  3. Bob338 Win User
    Wifi and browser problems with windows 10

I'll tell you how I fixed an identical problem on a ASUS laptop that had run perfectly on Windows 7 and ran well on W10 from January until the Anniversary update in early August. I tried everything I found on this forum and two others. Nothing worked. The last thing someone suggested was disabling the adapter and using a WiFi dongle. Problem continued. Nobody suggested changing the wireless network adapter. I bought and installed an Intel 7260 WiFi card and just used the driver which was downloaded on the reboot after the install. All problems solved!!

I must have wasted two months reading and trying everything. Even the manufacturer support inferred I needed a new machine though they sent me a Windows 8.1 driver to try, with the same result.

I'd suggest contacting the manufacturer to determine if they white list any cards and see if they have suggestions for a compatible card. They may want you to buy another laptop but if the cards aren't white listed, a simple card swap to one compatible with Windows 10 seems to be the answer.

Bob338, May 5, 2020
  4. "There might be a problem with the driver for the WiFi adapter"

Problem with driver for WiFi adapter

Hi Rishabh,

Thank you for the update on the issue.

As you have mentioned that you are facing issue with internet connection after you have upgraded to Windows 10 , you could face this issue due to old or corrupt Network Driver.

Run the Network Adapter Troubleshooter

The Network Adapter troubleshooter is an automated tool which will check the adapter in the computer for any known issues and provides the details and on how to fix them. Follow these steps and run the troubleshooter.

• Press “Windows Logo” + “W” keys from the keyboard.
    • Type “Troubleshooting” in the search bar and press “Enter”.
    • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
    • Click on “Network Adapter”.
    • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
    • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Please check the troubleshooting report and let’s know the details. You may also try the suggestions given by the troubleshooter and check if that helps.

The issue could also be related to the Network Adapter drivers and other updates. I want to inform you that updates will be released by Microsoft. So, I would suggest you to keep checking your Windows
    updates not only important one but optional too. If any available try to install them and see if it helps you to fix the issue.

First try to install all of the Windows updates available and if issue persists, try to update the
    Network Adapter drivers by following the steps provided in the article mentioned below.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows

If issue still persists, then install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that works.

Make older programs compatible with this version of Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-8/older-programs-compatible-version-windows

Reference:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...5&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

For more information and suggestions regarding the Network and Network Adapter issues, you may also refer to these articles:

Wired and
    wireless network problems

Why can't I connect to a network?

How do I fix network adapter problems?

Note:
    These articles are for Windows 8/8.1 but steps hold good for Windows 10

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Ramesh.Kumar, May 5, 2020
Thema:

"There might be a problem with the driver for the WiFi adapter"

1. "There might be a problem with the driver for the WiFi adapter" - Similar Threads - might problem driver

2. WiFi doesnt show_ "there might be a problem with wifi adapter driver"

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    WiFi doesnt show_ "there might be a problem with wifi adapter driver": So i ran my computer through NetAdapterRepair And maybe Its not the issue And after a restart, the WiFi disapeared And i can't even see it in settings. The problém Is in windows cuz i typed that 127.1.1.1 command And evrything looked fine. I also reinstalled And updated...
  3. WiFi doesnt show_ "there might be a problem with wifi adapter driver"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WiFi doesnt show_ "there might be a problem with wifi adapter driver": So i ran my computer through NetAdapterRepair And maybe Its not the issue And after a restart, the WiFi disapeared And i can't even see it in settings. The problém Is in windows cuz i typed that 127.1.1.1 command And evrything looked fine. I also reinstalled And updated...
  4. WiFi doesnt show_ "there might be a problem with wifi adapter driver"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Problems with wifi adapter and drivers rtl8812bu

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with wifi adapter and drivers rtl8812bu: HelloMy name is Michaeli had this adapter for some time now and i have problems with it.allot of packet loss recently and driver problem, windows changing the driver every time the pc boots.this started a few days ago.would like some help!Thx...
  6. Problems with wifi adapter and drivers rtl8812bu

Problems with wifi adapter and drivers rtl8812bu: HelloMy name is Michaeli had this adapter for some time now and i have problems with it.allot of packet loss recently and driver problem, windows changing the driver every time the pc boots.this started a few days ago.would like some help!Thx...
  7. There might be a problem with the driver for Wi-Fi adapter

There might be a problem with the driver for Wi-Fi adapter: I recently updated windows 10 to version 20H2. After this sometimes I faced the below issue.If you look at this image , two more buttons are missing WiFi and Mobile Hotspot.If I click troubleshoot from network adapter , it replies like belowThen these buttons will be enabled...
  8. Network Adapter Driver WiFi Problem

Network Adapter Driver WiFi Problem: Hello, I have a Windows 10 Home edition desktop, it is a Dell. I am experiencing issues with the Network Adapter and that windows could not find the driver.I did restart and update the driver and I wanted to know if there is a link to manually download the driver myself or...
  9. A problem with the driver for the wifi adapter

A problem with the driver for the wifi adapter: I have been trouble shooting a lot and i keep getting this problem about the driver for the wifi adapter and i even searched for videos but it didn’t help at all...
  10. There might be a problem with the driver for the Wi-Fi adapter

There might be a problem with the driver for the Wi-Fi adapter: Hi, I purchased a Surface laptop in December 2019 from Best Buy, and have been problem with it maintaining the WiFi. In March 2020, Best Buy trouble shoot the problem, and now I have no WiFi and it says “there might be a problem with the driver for the Wi-Fi adapter”. Is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. there might be a problem with the driver for the wifi adapter

2. there might be a problem with the driver for the wifi adapter windows 10

3. surface pro 4 there might be a problem withbthe wifi adapter

4. there might be a problem with the driver for the wifi adapter how to solve it,
  5. realtek 8812bu stopped working