Windows 10: There was a problem starting win2k.wim

Discus and support There was a problem starting win2k.wim in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; I have been getting the error (image attached) every time I start my computer and then randomly at intervals as well. This started happening when I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by MurtazaTinwala, Jan 13, 2019.

1. There was a problem starting win2k.wim

I have been getting the error (image attached) every time I start my computer and then randomly at intervals as well.

This started happening when I removed a few viruses from the "to be allowed" list on windows defender.

Any kind of insight or help on this is appreciated.

Thanks.

There was a problem starting win2k.wim [​IMG]

:)

MurtazaTinwala, Jan 13, 2019
  2. johnspack Win User

Compacting a wim file?

Sorry, no idea where to put this. I just recently learned how to use dism. I use it to slipstream all hotfixes and ie10 ect into an AIO install disc. The problem is, it creates a huge install.wim after 8 index mounts and slipstreams. Considering all 8 images use the same darn wim and files, don't know why it has to increase the wim size by 1gig. Either I need to figure out how to use the same wim.install file for all indexes, or I need to compact the wim file which is now 4gbs with ie10 and all updates to April. Any way to do either?

johnspack, Jan 13, 2019
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows 10 1709 System Restore problems...

That seems to be an attempt at Option 2 in the tutorial, which requires you to
    a. Boot to a command prompt (Did you?)
    b. You then seem to be mixing steps 3,4 and 5, thus your command is incorrect.

I suggest Option 1 is easier.

If you still have problems, please repost listing each specific step and saying which option from the tutorial you are using. Thanks.

dalchina, Jan 13, 2019
  4. johnspack Win User

There was a problem starting win2k.wim

Compacting a wim file?

Actually it turns out the answer is the dism that comes with Win8. Using the new Export-Image command, and a simple batch file, was able to compress my AIO wim by several hundred mbs.

johnspack, Jan 13, 2019
Thema:

There was a problem starting win2k.wim

1. There was a problem starting win2k.wim - Similar Threads - was problem starting

2. Win2K - Choppy and Distorted sound even Vmware Tools are installed

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Win2K - Choppy and Distorted sound even Vmware Tools are installed: Hi, I have a problem on my Win2K VM, The sound is DISTORTED or CHOPPY. I recorded that. Listen here: %appdata% 2021-05-04 at 07h07m16s (1).wav %appdata% 2021-05-04 at 07h07m16s (4).wav This is the original audio files (also recorded): %appdata% 2021-05-04 at 07h07m16s...
  3. performance on generating a wim file

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    performance on generating a wim file: I have a WinPE bootable USB drive. After booting from the usb, I use dism /capture-image /imagefile:E:\install.wim /capturedir*Biggrin:\ /ScratchDir:E:\Scratch /name:"AnyName" /compress:maximum /checkintegrity /verify /bootable to generate a wim file. I got an wim file that...
  4. MDT LiteTouchx64.wim Unattend.xml

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MDT LiteTouchx64.wim Unattend.xml: I want to open a cmd.exe at the same time as the LiteTouch.wsf runs. The following is the complete unattend.xml. I changed the 'RunSynchronous' to 'RunAsynchronous'. BUT it does not work ! As soon as it boots, it reboots itself. Is there anything wrong with the script?...
  5. Viruses in an old WIM file

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Viruses in an old WIM file: Hi Windows Defender (latest Windows 10 version) is reporting several viruses contained in an old WIM file produced under Windows 7 or 8. However, it just "hangs" when trying to solve the problem. I have tried to delete the file, cut and paste it to a memory stick, rename...
  6. Open in WIM files

Open in WIM files: I backed up the files to a potable disk drive on my bad computer. Now I want to view those file but they are WIM files. How can I view them? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/open-in-wim-files/73872582-e4fe-4c76-9fb6-11924698ab83
  7. how to open wim files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    how to open wim files: i backed up my files, folders, pictures on a usb drive before it crashed. Purchased a new computer everything loaded, windows 10, now putting in the usb drive everthing is wim files, how do you open them...
  8. Edit registry on a mounted wim

in Windows 10 Customization
    Edit registry on a mounted wim: Can anybody tell me how to modify the registry on a mounted wim? I keep getting Access denied. This is the command I am using: reg load hkey_local_machine\software c:\test\offline\windows\system32\config\software We have Windows 10 64 bit Enterprise edition. 92826
  9. Iso, esd or wim?

in Windows 10 Support
    Iso, esd or wim?: Wish to correct a Source files missing problem, so need to download an ISO. Installed is W10 1511 version 10586.164 Pro.....how can I tell whether it is ESD or WIM? I know that downloads are as following.....M$ Media is ESD and TechNet is WIM. 44127
  10. Extract a .WIM from an .ESD?

Extract a .WIM from an .ESD?: Hi guys, I'm trying to make a 10 Pro 10586 image with MDT 2013 Update 1 and I cannot use the ISO I got from the Media Creation Tool. I realized this is because the ISO now uses a install.esd instead of install.wim; I read that it is possible to extract the .wim from a ESD...