Windows 10: “There was an error opening this document”?

Discus and support “There was an error opening this document”? in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; submitted by /u/nuee-ardente [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/f42ri9/there_was_an_error_opening_this_document/ Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/nuee-ardente, Feb 14, 2020.

1. “There was an error opening this document”?

/u/nuee-ardente, Feb 14, 2020
  2. Peer_Sam Win User

Can't open documents

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to narrow down the issue and provide appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with answers to the questions below.

1. Is it any specific document, a document type or all documents, you are unable to open?
    2. What happens when you try to open the documents?
    3. Do you get any error message while trying to open the documents?

We look forward for your reply.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Feb 14, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    Windows boots, My Documents auto opens. WTF?

That was going to be my first suggestion. *Toast :toast:

newtekie1, Feb 14, 2020
  4. Jessen P Win User

“There was an error opening this document”?

opening a document

Hi,

Please reply to the questions mentioned below in order to assist you in a better way.

• Do you get any error message when you try to open the document?
    • What is the format of that document?
    • Which browser do you use to download?
    Thank you.

Jessen P, Feb 14, 2020
Thema:

“There was an error opening this document”?

1. “There was an error opening this document”? - Similar Threads - “There was error

2. PDF there was an error opening this document. Access denied.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PDF there was an error opening this document. Access denied.: In my organisation we get this message pretty often. BUT if we choose to open it in a web-browser instead of Adobe Acrobat Reader, it opens at once. We cant edit it win the web-browser so this is not a long-time-solution for us. Is there something we can do to be able to open...
  3. PDF there was an error opening this document. Access denied.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PDF there was an error opening this document. Access denied.: In my organisation we get this message pretty often. BUT if we choose to open it in a web-browser instead of Adobe Acrobat Reader, it opens at once. We cant edit it win the web-browser so this is not a long-time-solution for us. Is there something we can do to be able to open...
  4. Word Document Error - Cannot open file

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Word Document Error - Cannot open file: Hi Guys,My husband has been working on a file for work for a few days that he saved to the desktop. Unfortunately this morning after a computer update the file now will no longer open and is showing the following message.He has Windows 11 and I have tried to:1.uninstall the...
  5. Word Document Error - Cannot open file

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Word Document Error - Cannot open file: Hi Guys,My husband has been working on a file for work for a few days that he saved to the desktop. Unfortunately this morning after a computer update the file now will no longer open and is showing the following message.He has Windows 11 and I have tried to:1.uninstall the...
  6. OPENING FOLDERS OR DOCUMENTS

in Windows 10 Customization
    OPENING FOLDERS OR DOCUMENTS: EVERY TIME THIS POPS UP AND EVEY TIME I TICK "ALWAYS USE THIS APP" AND EVERY TIME THIS POPS UP AND EVEY TIME I TICK "ALWAYS USE THIS APP" AND EVERY TIME THIS POPS UP AND EVEY TIME I TICK "ALWAYS USE THIS APP" AND...
  7. opening word documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    opening word documents: My laptop will not open current saved documents in word on desktop. A window opens and goes to reconfigure, then asks if I want to reboot. After reboot the same thing happens when I try to open a word document. This happens with all of word documents on desktop. However, word...
  8. Error When Opening a Document

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Error When Opening a Document: When I open a previously saved Excel Document or a new one from an email I am recieveing an error that the file may be corruot. Click ok and reopen the doc and it works fine. What is this issue. Been happening for about 2-3 weeks. Thank you....
  9. Opening documents

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Opening documents: Hi All I seem to be stuck with windows opening all my documents as pictures or in picture format. Won't let me select any other option. Any ideas? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/opening-documents/e3c76a53-fe2b-4a65-8e9c-a51b62c197db"
  10. Opening documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Opening documents: When I click on a document to open it, I sometimes get a flashing orange box next to the normal blue box on the taskbar. When I click on the flashing orange box, the document opens. Is it telling me something needs to be fixed?...