Windows 10: Thermal cutout leads to BSOD/restarts until I pull the power cord out

Discus and support Thermal cutout leads to BSOD/restarts until I pull the power cord out in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, HP G60 laptop, occasionally I get a thermal cutout when sthg exceptional is going on. When this has happened, I get a BSOD after a restart and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by dalchina, Aug 13, 2015.

1. dalchina New Member

Thermal cutout leads to BSOD/restarts until I pull the power cord out

Hi, HP G60 laptop, occasionally I get a thermal cutout when sthg exceptional is going on.
    When this has happened, I get a BSOD after a restart and get stuck in a restart loop a couple of times and can't boot normally and don't get my boot menu (Win 10 or Safe Mode).

(Yes, I've tried cleaning the fan and this happened in Win 8.1 too).

So having upgraded to win 10 I had hoped this might have been solved. It never happened with Win 7 or Vista on hte same laptop, so it seems it's a 'feature' of the automatic repair sequence introduced in Win 8.

The only way out is to pull the power cord out just after power on, for example, and do a cold boot.

It's as if some flag is retained forcing Windows into its automatic repair sequence.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Otherwise, all seems (mostly) ok apart from a couple of programs now not finding an audio card since upgrading.

:)

dalchina, Aug 13, 2015

2. Windows 10 keeps crashing to many different BSODs

I took out every card and cord and reinserted them after using a compressed air canister to dust it all down and plugged it back in, the only things I didn't do that to was the CPU and motherboard power because I don't have the time or patience to pull
    out the power cord (I don't know if it's this way for every one else but mine is very hard to pull out and plug back in), and clean the thermal paste off of the CPU cooler and then reapply it. I work tomorrow so I probably won't be able too until Saturday
    or late Friday night.

RileyChometa, Aug 13, 2015
  3. Cells456 Win User
    Nokia CK-7W Car Kit won't switch off after switching car off!

Lucy, I understand your problem entirely!

I never solved the issue - this was my post... I started it.

In the end I disconnected the device. I found it under the dashboard, passanger side. I pulled the cords out of the device which clearly disconnected the power lead! The car battery has never drained since.

I cannot advise on fixing, I have no idea. All I do know is that pulling the leads out solved the issue of the battery draining for me.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Cells456, Aug 13, 2015
  4. topgundcp Win User

IMHO, your problem is overheated and by cleaning the FAN is not enough. I don't think it was caused by W8 or W10, maybe in the early day when using W7, Vista, your laptop was not as bad as it is now. If you are confident, you can disassemble the laptop and clean up the inside real good, put some new thermal paste on the CPU. You can search in youtube.com for instruction how to disassemble your Laptop.

Here's the link: How to take apart a HP G60 laptop - YouTube
    another one: HP G60 take apart video, disassemble, how to open disassembly - YouTube

topgundcp, Aug 13, 2015
  5. dalchina New Member
    Thanks topgundcp, and I quite take your point about heat management, and thanks for the links which I'll look into. Never been brave enough tho' to disassemble sthg I rely on so much.. However it is around 5 years old, and the right thing to do.

However, what I am particularly curious about here is how it is not possible to get back into a normal boot sequence once I'm in this restart loop without forcing a cold boot in such a dramatic way, and whether anyone else has had this experience. I can certainly say I've never seen the attempt at automatic repair succeed.

The boot differs from a normal boot in that the boot menu is not presented as usual even from a simple power up. Only when I disconnect power with power on can I then reboot successfully once in that situation.

However, when all is normal, I can shut down and restart normally.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Thermal cutout leads to BSOD/restarts until I pull the power cord out - Similar Threads - Thermal cutout leads

2. PC Wont Turn Until Power Cord Swapped

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Wont Turn Until Power Cord Swapped: Okay So I Came across a Observation and I dont Know If that is a Expected Behaviour or a Fault So Im Asking the Community as i didnt find any Such article Over Internet So Sometimes When Theres a Power Cut While PC Was Turned on I Dont Have UPS. Next time I would turn On...
  3. PC Wont Turn Until Power Cord Swapped

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Wont Turn Until Power Cord Swapped: Okay So I Came across a Observation and I dont Know If that is a Expected Behaviour or a Fault So Im Asking the Community as i didnt find any Such article Over Internet So Sometimes When Theres a Power Cut While PC Was Turned on I Dont Have UPS. Next time I would turn On...
  4. BSOD leading to spontaneous restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD leading to spontaneous restart: I'm not sure where to begin but I'll hope some kind souls will tell me what info I should post in order to troubleshoot this. As the subject states, my Lenovo Desktop T7i is experiencing periodic BSODs which lead to a spontaneous restart with no intervention on my part. I've...
  5. New Seagate harddrive disconnects until **power plug** is pulled

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Seagate harddrive disconnects until **power plug** is pulled: A brand-new, less-than-a-month-old external hard drive ("Seagate 8TB Expansion Desktop") randomly disconnects after a few hours (1.5 to 12? hours), and can only be reconnected after un/re-plugging the power plug from the power socket. Simply un/re-plugging the USB cable does...
  6. What Happens if I pull the power cord while Desktop is running?

What Happens if I pull the power cord while Desktop is running?: So I have a Dell Optiplex 990 Desktop Chasis. Since I have a lot of outages in my house, I'm wondering what happens if I accidentally pull the power cord while the computer is running. If I pull the power cord on the computer, will there be any system errors or hardware...
  7. Sound issue - no audio until I pull out and replug in the external speakers

Sound issue - no audio until I pull out and replug in the external speakers: I've spent considerable time trying to debug a recurring sound issue on a new HP Windows 10 computer. I have installed the latest audio drivers and even contacted HP but continue to have this problem. Here's the issue. I have external Bose speakers plugged into the audio...
  8. power cord

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    power cord: i am having a problem not having to use my power cord i am currenty using my battery for now what should i do https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-cord/4ea518d3-4d89-4628-860e-3aa6e6436739
  9. Universal power cord

Universal power cord: I had to purchase a universal power cord for my Dell laptop. It plugs in but won't charge. Any way I can get the laptop to charge??? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/universal-power-cord/ec366f36-ccc6-4119-8239-570738282c95
  10. Power Cord

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Power Cord: My puppy chewed my power cord. How do I find out where the info is on what type my computer is and what type of cord I need so I can order another power cord? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-cord/8233434f-97a6-4b3d-b9d7-a5f9ee2e9cd8

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 thermal cutout