Windows 10: These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...

Discus and support These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory... in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi there,I found out today that a number of hidden folders suddenly appeared in my root directory and a few other directories like users and program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Pieter de Vries1, Sep 17, 2022.

1. These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...

Hi there,I found out today that a number of hidden folders suddenly appeared in my root directory and a few other directories like users and program data. I was wondering what these folders are. I don't have access to many of these folders.its about the following folders:- Documents and settings- MSocache- recovery- system volume information- Onedrivetemp contains folders with weird number combinations in there namesAnd a few others in the users and program data folders.There are also some other hidden folders, but I'm not sure if they were already there or if they are new.Does anyone know

:)

Pieter de Vries1, Sep 17, 2022
  2. fussybob Win User

Can't save file in C:\ root directory

I want to save files in my C:\ root directory of my boot drive and get an error that "Required privilege is not held by the client". I am the sole user/administrator of this system. I went into C:, properties, security, and enabled permissions for everything and everyone.

I can make/delete new folders in the C: drive, and save/delete files in those folders.
    My Win 10 system works just fine, except for me to save a file in the C; root directory

I can save files from apps to the C:\, and if I save the same file again, it tells me it exists and if I want to overwrite it, so it is indeed saved to the root directory.

In windows explorer I can't see those saved files in the root directory.

Any suggestions?

fussybob, Sep 17, 2022
  3. Mindweaver, Sep 17, 2022
  4. These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...

Robocopy: copy drive root directory creates hidden backup folder

Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bit

Robocopy 10.0.19041.1266

Run Robocopy via .bat file, Run as Administrator.

Hello:

When I use Robocopy to copy the root directory of a drive (DThese hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory... :) to a folder (non-root directory) on an external drive, the resulting destination folder is Hidden. I believe that's because the root drive has System and Hidden attributes.

How can I prevent System and Hidden attributes from being applied to the destination folder?

My testing (I removed options for multi-threads, retries, logging, etc., to make it easier for you folks to read.):

SET options=/MIR /A-:RSHA /XA:SH /XJ /XD "$RECYCLE.BIN" "System Volume Information" /XF DESKTOP.INI

ROBOCOPY "D:" "Y:\Backups\Test" %options%

/A-:RSHA does not work to prevent the destination folder from being hidden, though I read that it should work.

So, I added /COPYThese hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory... :DT /DCOPYThese hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory... :DT to options so as not to backup properties and attributes:

SET options=/COPYThese hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory... :DT /DCOPYThese hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory... :DT /MIR /A-:RSHA /XA:SH /XJ /XD "$RECYCLE.BIN" "System Volume Information" /XF DESKTOP.INI

ROBOCOPY "D:" "Y:\Backups\Test" %options%

/COPYThese hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory... :DT /DCOPYThese hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory... :DT did not help, as destination backup folder is still created as hidden.

If I run ATTRIB command after the backup, as in:

attrib -s -h "Y:\Backups\Test"

this does unhide the hidden directory, but I would prefer to find a way to prevent Robocopy from hiding the backup in the first place.

How can I prevent System and Hidden attributes from being applied to the destination folder?

franklin-xy, Sep 17, 2022
Thema:

These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...

1. These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory... - Similar Threads - hidden files randomly

2. These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...: Hi there,I found out today that a number of hidden folders suddenly appeared in my root directory and a few other directories like users and program data. I was wondering what these folders are. I don't have access to many of these folders.its about the following folders:-...
  3. These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    These hidden files randomly popped up in my root directory...: Hi there,I found out today that a number of hidden folders suddenly appeared in my root directory and a few other directories like users and program data. I was wondering what these folders are. I don't have access to many of these folders.its about the following folders:-...
  4. Robocopy: copy drive root directory creates hidden backup folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Robocopy: copy drive root directory creates hidden backup folder: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bit Robocopy 10.0.19041.1266 Run Robocopy via .bat file, Run as Administrator. Hello: When I use Robocopy to copy the root directory of a drive D: to a folder non-root directory on an external drive, the resulting destination folder is...
  5. Robocopy: copy drive root directory results in hidden backup folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Robocopy: copy drive root directory results in hidden backup folder: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bit Robocopy 10.0.19041.1266 Run Robocopy via .bat file, Run as Administrator. Hello: When I use Robocopy to copy the root directory of a drive D: to a folder non-root directory on an external drive, the resulting destination folder is...
  6. Robocopy: copy drive root directory results in hidden backup folder

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Robocopy: copy drive root directory results in hidden backup folder: Windows 10 Home 21H2 19044.1526, 64-bit Robocopy 10.0.19041.1266 Run Robocopy via .bat file, Run as Administrator. Hello: When I use Robocopy to copy the root directory of a drive D: to a folder non-root directory on an external drive, the resulting destination folder is...
  7. Random file appeared in my root C drive (Hidden item)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Random file appeared in my root C drive (Hidden item): [ATTACH] So I normally have my settings so that I am able to see Hidden Items in my file explorer, and recently I just noticed this weird file that is a hiden file and was created on May 5th....
  8. Randomly generated hidden folders in the Users directory.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Randomly generated hidden folders in the Users directory.: Hello, there are these weird user folders getting generated in the Users folder, they seem to delete themselves and regenerate every day and I have no idea what they are or for, is it for Windows Update? The names of this files are weird too like angels-wore.sql...
  9. Quixxxx.tmp directories on root

in Windows 10 Support
    Quixxxx.tmp directories on root: I have all these directories starting with Qui...tmp on one of my laptops. about 20-30 of them, all empty. I get nothing via google. Anyone ever seen this? 67218
  10. Random Files showing up in the roots of HDDs

in Windows 10 Support
    Random Files showing up in the roots of HDDs: [img] After I upgraded to Windows 10, I've noticed that my OS drive which is C:\ has random files that CAN be deleted but shows up again after rebooting the OS. I've also noticed that when I connect my external HDD, Toshiba Canvio Simple 1TB, those random files shows up on...