Windows 10: things still irritating about windows

Discus and support things still irritating about windows in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; first off... I think windows 10 is the best version of windows I have ever used. windows xp was ok but not great, vista was awfull and pretty much made... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pitbullpup, Feb 2, 2016.

1. things still irritating about windows

first off... I think windows 10 is the best version of windows I have ever used. windows xp was ok but not great, vista was awfull and pretty much made me switch to apple. didn't use 7 much but wasn't real thrilled with it compared to os x...so far 10 seems to be almost as stable as os x . that being said there are still things about windows that are irritating and not needed in os x.

1. the need for anti virus protection... I have ran a mac and have never used any type of security product and never had any issues and I would go to any web site.

2. routine disk clean up and cookie/history cleaning. again I have never had to do any of that on my apple

3. routine disk optimization/defragment. ... once again I have never needed to do any on my mac.

if Microsoft could eliminate the need for the above, and make the os as stable as apple.... I would probably have no complaints about windows outside of microsoft's business practices which have nothing to do with how the os performs.

:)

pitbullpup, Feb 2, 2016

2. Nokia 6111 clock problem

No its only on my new 6111. Ive noticed theres another post on here about the 6280 (or something like that) where the same thing is happening)

Small but still irritating all the same.

dollymarie---01, Feb 2, 2016
  3. How do I copy an entire (SMS?) messaging thread from WP8 to my computer?

This is by far the most irritating thing about having a Windows phone. Saving or backing up text threads is so basic.

RachelQwerty7, Feb 2, 2016
  4. things still irritating about windows

1, use the build in one, its just does its own thing, no need to do anything with it, I don't event notice its there
    2, routine disk clean up and history cleaning, never had to do any of this on my PC
    3, disk optimisation/defrag, again, never need to do any of this, just like my mac

not sure on your stability, I have a Mac and a Windows, both are as stable as each other

paulsalter, Feb 2, 2016
  5. 1. There are plenty of serious Mac malware in the wild. Any Macs on our corporate network are required to have virus protection. If you look at the various attack vectors for malware, you'll realize that just visiting a website is only one of them, and surely not the only way to be infected. How would a Mac user know their computer is infected if they don't have any way of scanning or keeping watch?
    2. I don't do any of that on my PCs, so I'm not sure how or why this is a topic to bring up.
    3. Again, not needed if you are running an SSD, but it also can and should be done on a non-SSD whether you are running a Mac or a PC.

Now add in how ridiculous Apple's support is for business customers (Dell comes to me next business day, Apple has to have the computers sent out), how expensive their systems are despite using nearly identical hardware, and the additional cost people pay for a Windows license to run in Bootcamp, and you really can't make a logical argument in favor of an Apple computer.

Did I mention that the Blackhat Conference routinely picks OSX as the least secure OS?

Finally, my company of 120 worldwide has about 25 Apple computers (all very recent). They generate more support calls and issues than all the remaining Dells combined.

DeaconFrost, Feb 2, 2016
  6. windows 10 seems as stable as my mac mini running el capitan. however I have only used windows 10 for 2 months and I have been using my mini since 2010

pitbullpup, Feb 2, 2016
  7. I have never needed to go to the apple store for product support except twice.... once the MacBook pro I had before it was stolen was doing updates and lost power due to a power failure and the battery going dead and once to get the battery replaced as warranty even though it was 2 years out of warranty. don't know any pc companies that would replace the battery for free 2 years out of warranty besides apple

pitbullpup, Feb 2, 2016
  8. things still irritating about windows

We all have choices and go for the system that suits us best

If you feel that OSX is a better OS and Apple give a free battery after the warranty runs out then stick with Apple

paulsalter, Feb 2, 2016
  9. We've had to send out a few MacBook Pros that have needed motherboard's replaced. Dell comes to our office next business day to do the same. Dell will also replace the battery under a business warranty if it was covered, which we do for three years, still costing far less than a similarly-equipped Apple computer, even excluding the cost of a separate Windows license.

I'm fine with people wanting or using Apple computers. Everyone has their choice and opinion. You just can't make a case that they are better, more stable, or cheaper than a PC.

DeaconFrost, Feb 2, 2016
  10. I like windows 10 as well as apple. don't like having to run virus protection or have to run maintenance programs

pitbullpup, Feb 2, 2016
  11. Then let windows run them in the background when needed and ignore them

paulsalter, Feb 2, 2016
  12. It's irresponsible to use a connected computer without protection. How do you know your computer hasn't become part of a botnet that's attacking a legitimate company's website? How do you know your information isn't being stolen without your knowledge? Besides, most good AV sofwtare takes so little resources you won't notice it running, and they keep themselves updated. There's absolutely no hassle to run them, by design.

Second, what maintenance programs are you running on Windows that are a hassle? As each new version of Windows has been released, the user has to do less and less to keep the OS running in tip top shape.

I'm really confused as to how you are forming your opinions.

DeaconFrost, Feb 2, 2016
  13. things still irritating about windows

personally i am not too concerned about the security of other's computers. that is their problem. not too worried about identity theft either since i only use a bank account to get my direct deposit payroll and then the day it is deposited i go and take everything out except for $5.00

pitbullpup, Feb 2, 2016
  14. Nobody Win User
    "1. the need for anti virus protection... I have ran a mac and have never used any type of security product and never had any issues and I would go to any web site."

Please Apple (and Linux people) Stop using this argument.
    Windows market share is near 90% or something. Criminals who understands capitalism better than anything knows that.

Nobody, Feb 2, 2016
  15. Hasn't defragmentation been able to be scheduled for quite awhile when you're not using your PC? Myself, I like the routine cleaning because it allows me to take stock of what I have on my machine.

Jody Thornton, Feb 2, 2016
Thema:

things still irritating about windows

1. things still irritating about windows - Similar Threads - things still irritating

2. My calendar no longer allows full screen and to input meetings also an irritating thing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My calendar no longer allows full screen and to input meetings also an irritating thing...: My calendar no longer allows full screen and to input meetings also an irritating thing called focus has appeared which I don't want any ideas how to restore the calendar to full function and to disable or delete the Focus software I 100% do not want. I have tried to search...
  3. quick question about some things

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    quick question about some things: So I'm a little worried to why Microsoft Store is running in task manager and why Mail and Microsoft Store are using GPU I know its not using any since it says zero % but just a little curious...
  4. A question about controlling sizes of things...

in Windows 10 Support
    A question about controlling sizes of things...: Greetings! Recently for some unknown reason, everything changed size as far as icons, text and app sizes. The overall text in my Mozilla Thunderbird app got smaller. Everything in Photoshop changed. Where I had dark themes changed back to light themes but most of all the...
  5. How come Microsoft still things automatic restarts are a good thing on windows?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How come Microsoft still things automatic restarts are a good thing on windows?: Title, no one likes them, start with it turned off and make it the option to turn on if you want auto restarts for all those weird people who like it otherwise I'll choose a time because I don't need to be getting restarted mid video game as windows can't recognize when I am...
  6. Windows Stuttering...still a thing in 2019

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows Stuttering...still a thing in 2019: I am having an issue as represented in this video uploaded by a different user: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-stuttering/2dccbaa0-bdf9-4565-9b5f-3166e7a11e3f?page=1 This is not just gaming either, it happens for example, when simply...
  7. Windows 10 Bitlocker irritation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Bitlocker irritation: I have a Lenovo ideapad that auto upgraded to windows 10 on the home edition. I turned it on today and the bitlocker screen came up telling me to retreive the key. I went to the url and it says access denied on another of our home computers. wtf ms. Any suggestions?...
  8. EVERY THING ABOUT WINDOWS 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    EVERY THING ABOUT WINDOWS 10: your windows 10 is the most unfriendly software that you ever created!!! I hate windows 10, it came with my computer without my knowing about it! you have too many links for a very simple questions and then you "ask the community" board!!! WINDOS 10 IS STUPID TRASH!!!...
  9. Thing I HATE about Windows 10.

in Windows 10 Support
    Thing I HATE about Windows 10.: Going back to Windows 7 Ultimate as Windows 10 is unusable. It's so convoluted in what you can do that it boggles the mind. It won't let you copy files into a system folded (even when they are safe) unless you start that you're 100% ABSOLUTELY certain you want to do that....
  10. A Curious Thing About Windows 10, if True

in Windows 10 Support
    A Curious Thing About Windows 10, if True: Don't know if this is true, but a guy I met today told me he had 3 computers, all running Windows 10. He said that if he didn't use one of them for about a month's time, it would automatically revert back to Windows 8. Is that the case? Doesn't matter to me ; I use my...