Windows 10: think my hosts file got modified

Discus and support think my hosts file got modified in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; like the title indicate' my AV found a modified host and it makes my internet to work slowly, I read in support forum that there is a solution by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Asi11, Oct 9, 2019.

1. Asi11 Win User

think my hosts file got modified

like the title indicate' my AV found a modified host and it makes my internet to work slowly, I read in support forum that there is a solution by resetting the host file by opening notepad and put a text inside it then save the notepad and replace it with the current host file. I want to know if I do so and resetting the host file, what changes will happen to my PC? I would need to sign in to all my websites again? or it will just reset without changing much?

this is the article that I found, maybe it will help you to understand better. hope it will help.

"

To reset the Hosts file back to the default, follow these steps:

1. Open Notepad. To do this, search for “Notepad” using Cortana, and then tap or click the Notepad icon.

2. Copy the following text, and then paste the text into the file:
      # Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
      #
      # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
      #
      # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
      # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
      # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
      # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
      # space.
      #
      # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
      # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
      #
      # For example:
      #
      # 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server
      # 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host
      # localhost name resolution is handle within DNS itself.
      # 127.0.0.1 localhost
      # ::1 localhost

1. Close Notepad.

2. Search for %WinDir%\System32\Drivers\Etc using Cortana, and then select the File folder icon.

3. Tap and hold or right-click the Hosts file, select Rename, and then rename the file as "Hosts.old".

4. Copy or move the Hosts file that you created in step 3 from the desktop to the %WinDir%\System32\Drivers\Etc folder. If you are prompted to enter an administrator password, select Continue

:)

Asi11, Oct 9, 2019

2. Hosts file editing

I have to jump in and say I use, and have used the host file for years. It's an easy way to take stress off of old name servers. I don't add everything, but major shares I do add to the host file. I've used the host file for some tunneling as well. I try to optimize my network as much as possible and I have a solid network. But Easy Rhino is right as well, you'll want to have everything he suggested as well. *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Oct 9, 2019
  3. phrab Win User
    Modify & save hosts file

I have 2 machines: Win10 & WinXP. For some reason, my hosts file on my Win10 machine listed Windows 10 Help Forums as 127.0.0.1. I don't know how this happened & I have not been able to delete that entry & save the hosts file in Windows/Drivers/etc.

How can I give myself (the administrator) permission to access the file & to save it in the etc. folder?
    Is there a utility that will give me control over the hosts file?

Thank you in advance!

phrab, Oct 9, 2019
  4. think my hosts file got modified

Browser /connection security, hosts file and DNS service

You're saying that Open DNS(and other services like it) house their own list of known 'bad' sites, and by using their DNS servers, it will filter out sites based on that list?

Would you believe I was already using Open DNS servers.
    This means the hosts file is moot?

And furthering that, if there's any bespoke sites I want to manually add, I could do it through my router directly.

Thus I can empty my local hosts file and turn my DNS service back on?

newconroer, Oct 9, 2019
Thema:

think my hosts file got modified

1. think my hosts file got modified - Similar Threads - hosts file got

2. I think my pc got hacked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I think my pc got hacked: So it started a while ago, I suddlently couldn’t do anything with the Windows security, the window was completely pitch black and showed nothing. I thought nothing out of it. Then after a while I forgot my PIN code. So i had an extra account that was admin and I moved all my...
  3. I think my pc got hacked

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I think my pc got hacked: So it started a while ago, I suddlently couldn’t do anything with the Windows security, the window was completely pitch black and showed nothing. I thought nothing out of it. Then after a while I forgot my PIN code. So i had an extra account that was admin and I moved all my...
  4. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default: I want to modify a few entries of the HOST file but I don't know how to do it & I am not sure whether it is safe or not??what is a way to do it??...
  5. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default: I want to modify a few entries of the HOST file but I don't know how to do it & I am not sure whether it is safe or not??what is a way to do it??...
  6. How to modify host file?? and is it safe to do it or resetting it to default

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Cannot modify/save hosts file

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cannot modify/save hosts file: I give up. I have tried everything. I set all the permissions to "Allow" and I don't even remember the default settings of that. I have tried taking ownership of the file. I have tried saving it on my desktop with a different name and copying it back into the etc folder...
  8. I think my laptop got hacked

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    I think my laptop got hacked: Last Saturday my laptop was making noise when I opened it to get on. It said I had been hacked and to call a number, which I did. The lady sounded like she was from India. She showed me where my laptop had been hacked since 2010. She moved so fast. I ended up paying for...
  9. Modify & save hosts file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Modify & save hosts file: I have 2 machines: Win10 & WinXP. For some reason, my hosts file on my Win10 machine listed Windows 10 Help Forums as 127.0.0.1. I don't know how this happened & I have not been able to delete that entry & save the hosts file in Windows/Drivers/etc. How can I give myself...
  10. NotePad Modifies My Files

in Windows 10 Support
    NotePad Modifies My Files: When I type something on the NotePad and save it then open the file I see the characters "ı" turn to "i"? How to fix? I want Turkish Language characters. 103234