Windows 10: THinkpad 10 tablet keeps providing usb power??

Discus and support THinkpad 10 tablet keeps providing usb power?? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Windows 1903 Hello again, I am attempting to use my thinkpad 10 tablet ( Windows) as a car front end. I am getting there ( *Smile ), but am... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by pootler, Jan 8, 2020.

1. pootler Win User

THinkpad 10 tablet keeps providing usb power??

Windows 1903

Hello again,

I am attempting to use my thinkpad 10 tablet ( Windows) as a car front end.

I am getting there ( *Smile ), but am still stuck by some problems.

One of these is power management.

I have various peripherals connected via a separately powered usb hub.

so........ I don't need any power to the hub from the tablet.

If I am not going to be away from the car for long, rather than shutting down the tab, I sleep it .

Althougth power to the tab and the powered hub is removed, the tablet still gives power to the hub from its battery reserve.

The hub has seven peripherals attached, so it can represent quite a drain to the tablet on battery.

I have tried to prevent usb ( selective suspend), and also tried to check for windows powering down any usb devices to save power in Device Manager.

Still, every time the car removes power, the usb port on the tablet is still active??

Has anybody any ideas?

-- by the way, I have no option in BIOS for usb power, and I also tried to make a USB cable DATA only- no luck ------

Many Thanks

:)

pootler, Jan 8, 2020
  2. pootler Win User

Windows 1903

Hello again,

I am attempting to use my thinkpad 10 tablet ( Windows) as a car front end.

I am getting there ( *Smile ), but am still stuck by some problems.

One of these is power management.

I have various peripherals connected via a separately powered usb hub.

so........ I don't need any power to the hub from the tablet.

If I am not going to be away from the car for long, rather than shutting down the tab, I sleep it .

Althougth power to the tab and the powered hub is removed, the tablet still gives power to the hub from its battery reserve.

The hub has seven peripherals attached, so it can represent quite a drain to the tablet on battery.

I have tried to prevent usb ( selective suspend), and also tried to check for windows powering down any usb devices to save power in Device Manager.

Still, every time the car removes power, the usb port on the tablet is still active??

Has anybody any ideas?

-- by the way, I have no option in BIOS for usb power, and I also tried to make a USB cable DATA only- no luck ------

Many Thanks

pootler, Jan 8, 2020
  3. pootler Win User

Thanks Ed,

I don't think it is dedicated- doesn't mention it in any manual, and it is not coloured yellow.

The tablet BIOS is restricted and doesn't contain any USB power settings.

I guess I could be pragmatic, and measure how much battery drain I get from being out of the car for, say, two hours ( MAX), and if it is less than say 30%, just live with it*Smile

Unfortunately, hibernation doesn't work with my set up, which would have been an answer.

Thanks again

pootler, Jan 8, 2020
  4. EdTittel Win User

Some USB ports are configured to deliver juice until the battery goes dead. They usually have yellow plastic inserts, and are known as "Always On USB" ports (here's an informative SuperUser discussion of this topic: How does "Always On USB" work?). It might be that this port is set up for or stuck in this status. Usually requires a BIOS change to alter such behavior.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jan 8, 2020
Thema:

1. THinkpad 10 tablet keeps providing usb power?? - Similar Threads - THinkpad tablet keeps

2. Lenovo Thinkpad - USB Mouse

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lenovo Thinkpad - USB Mouse: Hi! I have a new Lenovo Thinkpad for work we just switched from a MacBook so I'm lost. I have my USB mouse set up but I can not figure out where the setting is to activate scrolling. I've looked every where!Also, I work with 2 display monitors and I was able to connect to one...
  3. Lenovo Thinkpad - USB Mouse

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo Thinkpad - USB Mouse: Hi! I have a new Lenovo Thinkpad for work we just switched from a MacBook so I'm lost. I have my USB mouse set up but I can not figure out where the setting is to activate scrolling. I've looked every where!Also, I work with 2 display monitors and I was able to connect to one...
  4. USB port is providing power but no connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB port is providing power but no connection: The USB port on the left side of my Inspiron laptop will provide power to devices but does not have any data communicated whatsoever. The other USB port works just fine. I have tried all the suggestions in device manager, various methods or restarting the computer and...
  5. USB port is providing power but no connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    USB port is providing power but no connection: The USB port on the left side of my Inspiron laptop will provide power to devices but does not have any data communicated whatsoever. The other USB port works just fine. I have tried all the suggestions in device manager, various methods or restarting the computer and...
  6. USB port is providing power but no connection

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. USB ports not providing enough power

USB ports not providing enough power: I got ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming - ITX/acIntel i5 9600K 6x CPU @ 3.70 GHz UHD Graphics 630 Coffee Lake No HyperThreadI connect Bosch mini to charge it.On Linux there is no problem charging it.On Windows It won't charge.Is there some power setting in the USB driver?...
  8. USB 3.0 ports only provide power, devices not detected.

USB 3.0 ports only provide power, devices not detected.: USB2.0 works fine, but after a windows update my USB 3.0 ports stopped detecting connected devices. This is a 4 year old cyberpower machine, so it made the jump from Windows 7 -> 10, but despite downloading the USB 3.0 drivers from the motherboard manufacturer, it's not...
  9. USB-C will not provide power to external device while it is off

USB-C will not provide power to external device while it is off: Hi, I recently bought a new USB-C monitor and I am experiencing a strange issue. The device will not power on unless it is connected to an external power source a wall outlet, but once the device is on, the USB-C is able to provide enough power to run the monitor. It...
  10. Need advice for using Windows 10 Pro on a Thinkpad X200 Tablet.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Need advice for using Windows 10 Pro on a Thinkpad X200 Tablet.: Ordered an old Ebay refurbished Lenovo ThinkPad X200 Tablet to replace my too slow Dell ST2. It has 4GB ram and has been upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I intend to clone the HDD to SSD. Can anyone here advise on any issues and recommended drivers? I know it's old school,...