Windows 10: Third monitor shuts off when lid is closed, but 2nd continues to work fine

Discus and support Third monitor shuts off when lid is closed, but 2nd continues to work fine in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Dual external monitors have been working fine for months. After a Zoom session with clients yesterday I got home and everything set up normally. When I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by jshil, Feb 1, 2020.

1. jshil Win User

Third monitor shuts off when lid is closed, but 2nd continues to work fine

Dual external monitors have been working fine for months. After a Zoom session with clients yesterday I got home and everything set up normally. When I closed the lid on the laptop, the 3rd monitor shut down and everything popped over to the #2 monitor. When I open the lid, the 3rd monitor comes back online. It's not "choose what happens when I close the lid" because the second external monitor stays on. Both monitors are connected to a docking station which is connected to the computer via the USB.

:)

jshil, Feb 1, 2020

2. Monitor settings when close laptop lid

Hi,

I usually connect a secondary monitor to my laptop and close the lid. This worked fine until today. When I close the lid the monitor indicates that the source settings are higher than it can handle and it indicates me to change them to 1600x900 60Hz. However,
    I can't do this since the lid is closed and I can't see what I'm doing.

This is only a problem for when the lid is closed, I can still use my secondary monitor as an extension of the laptop monitor.

Any idea on how to solve this?

Thanks

Antoniio Herrera, Feb 1, 2020
  3. When close lid during shutting down, PC go into sleep.

Hello,
    I've got a problem (or a feature ? Not so sure) that when I finish my work, I shutting down my laptop, while waiting it to be shut down, I close the lid.
    The problem is when I close the lid, the laptop go into sleep mode, and when I back to work, I open the lid to press the power button and it resume the 'shut down' process.
    This hasn't happen before, any suggestion ? Many thanks Third monitor shuts off when lid is closed, but 2nd continues to work fine :)

phamthanhnhan, Feb 1, 2020
  4. Third monitor shuts off when lid is closed, but 2nd continues to work fine

2nd display not detected when Laptop Lid is Closed.

Hi,I am Vanshita, an Independent Windows Advisor. I am here to work with you on this problem.

I suggest you to go through the below steps and check if it helps

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/for...

Hope it helps

vanshitavanshita, Feb 1, 2020
Thema:

Third monitor shuts off when lid is closed, but 2nd continues to work fine

1. Third monitor shuts off when lid is closed, but 2nd continues to work fine - Similar Threads - Third monitor shuts

2. Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...: i know this has been asked about 5,000 times but i cannot seem to resolve the issue. My setup includes a windows 10 machine and two HDMI monitors connected via a docking station. when i close my laptop one of the monitors no longer receives a signal and goes black. I have had...
  3. Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...: i know this has been asked about 5,000 times but i cannot seem to resolve the issue. My setup includes a windows 10 machine and two HDMI monitors connected via a docking station. when i close my laptop one of the monitors no longer receives a signal and goes black. I have had...
  4. Closing lid shuts off one of my dual monitors- lid settings are set to do nothing- worked...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. One of my monitors started turning off when the lid closes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    One of my monitors started turning off when the lid closes: I have a single computer Samsung laptop w/ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz processor, Windows 11 Home, version 22H2 pushing the visual output to dual monitors. I've done this since I've had the laptop. About a month ago, when I shut the lid, one of the monitors went blank. Everything I...
  6. One of my monitors started turning off when the lid closes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    One of my monitors started turning off when the lid closes: I have a single computer Samsung laptop w/ i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz processor, Windows 11 Home, version 22H2 pushing the visual output to dual monitors. I've done this since I've had the laptop. About a month ago, when I shut the lid, one of the monitors went blank. Everything I...
  7. Always shuts down when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Always shuts down when lid is closed: When I close my laptops lid windows will shutdown Instead of sleeping? (Windows pro N on dell latitude e6420) submitted by /u/Miner142 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lnfoq7/always_shuts_down_when_lid_is_closed/
  8. Laptop Shuts Off If The Lid Closes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop Shuts Off If The Lid Closes: Basically, if i close my laptop's lid for around 30 minutes rough estimation, my laptop will shut down and I'll have to boot it up to get it to turn on. Is this normal? My laptop didn't used to do this. If there is anything I can do to remedy this, please let me know....
  9. Shut Down when closing the lid

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Shut Down when closing the lid: I have set my Win 10 computer's Power Options in the Control Panel to shut down when I close the lid. However I have noticed that after the screen is locked after ten minutes of no activity it does not shut down when I close the lid, it just stays in the locked screen...
  10. Computer shuts down when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when lid is closed: My computer doesn't suspend or hibernate when I close the lid no matter which configurations I set on power options. It always shuts down the computer. If I click the power button before closing the lid, it suspends but when I close the lid he shuts down. I've tried to update...