Windows 10: "This access control entry is corrupt" for the WindowsApps folder and nothing else

Discus and support "This access control entry is corrupt" for the WindowsApps folder and nothing else in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I receive the error message in the image below when I try to list the content of the WindowsApps folder. I know how to change the owner of the folder... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by jaygourley, May 30, 2020.

1. "This access control entry is corrupt" for the WindowsApps folder and nothing else

I receive the error message in the image below when I try to list the content of the WindowsApps folder. I know how to change the owner of the folder and correct the problem, but I don't want to start mucking around without knowing what I'm doing.

Is this "problem" there by design? I ask because there are many threads about the same error message for this specific folder, and I only find this error message for this particular folder. Should I even worry about it? What causes it? Why is it so common for this one folder? If action is needed, what is the safest, least disruptive, easiest action to take? SFC does not find any corruption among Windows files. There are no other anomalies of which I am aware on this Windows installation.

"This access control entry is corrupt" for the WindowsApps folder and nothing else 6ea3f0a3-08f4-482c-99e0-b235b932c260?upload=true.png

:)

jaygourley, May 30, 2020
  2. jammyjo Win User

Error: Access Control Entry is Corrupt, while providing permissions to WindowsApps folder

"This access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create a new one."

This is the error that I received after trying to open a WindowsApps folder in the D: drive in a recently-new computer (that previously only had personal files like pictures) that was freshly written there from a PC reset to completely restore Windows instead
    of being on the C: drive. This weird error message appeared in the Permission Entry window (only for Users, but all of the other choices were greyed out and unresponsive) after following the prompts to try to allow access to this folder:

"This access control entry is corrupt" for the WindowsApps folder and nothing else b2f90424-a374-478c-9b4b-6e85f33a9b56?upload=true.jpg

Many solutions were given back in the thread from Hsienz (Access Control Entry is Corrupt) on 8 October 2016 but none of them worked for
    me, or at least I may not have fully understood how to implement them.

This isn't so much a question as describing as to how I was able to access a folder that it said that I couldn't open, couldn't delete and couldn't rename (and with security badges everywhere) because I didn't have the authority despite being the administrator
    (no processes seeming to be running in the background associated with it).

Under Properties of the folder (WindowsApps), clicking the Security tab and clicking 'Advanced', there are three tabs. In this state of not being able to open the folder, each of the types (such as Administrator or User) is greyed out and not seeming to
    be able to be changed at all but only viewed to see that some boxes are ticked to show that you should be allowed to access the folder!

After trying all of the other methods, I went to the second tab, 'Auditing', pressed 'Continue' when it said that I must be an administrator, selected 'Add' above an empty box, another window came up that had one available option at the top (in blue) to
    'Select a principal', clicked that, pressed 'Advanced' on the next window, pressed 'Find Now' on the next window (phew!) and selected Administrators in the presented list and, when I went back to the Permissions tab, I was able to change the Administrators
    check boxes to be allowed to have Full Control as well as all of the other types on the list now being editable. I went back to the file and, on the second attempt, it opened (to reveal that it was empty).

Hope it wasn't too long-winded and hope it helps someone else (Windows for Dummies style).

***Original title: Access Control Entry is Corrupt***

jammyjo, May 30, 2020
  3. Access Control Entry is Corrupt

Jamille,

I have the exact same problem. Trying to peruse the folder for Candy Crush Soda in the WindowsApps folder I get the message that I need permission, etc. Then, when trying to modify permissions for this folder (so I can read the contents) I get the error
    message "This access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create a new one." So, at your suggestion, I ran SFC /scannow and got the message: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations." I conclude that there is nothing wrong with
    my system except that I cant repair the app named "Candy Crush Soda".

Any other suggestions?

Thank you.

MachineGuy, May 30, 2020
  4. "This access control entry is corrupt" for the WindowsApps folder and nothing else

Access Control Entry is Corrupt

Check folder permissions for C:\Program Files\WindowsApps to see if they are corrupt (i.e. "This access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create a new one") for Users group.

This stopped Store/Calculator/3d Paint/... (most little windows apps) from working

If they are:

You have to take control or become the owner of the folder, remove the Users security group, and then add it back in with Read & Execute permissions.

Set owner back to trusted installer: [Guide] How to Restore "TrustedInstaller" as Default Owner of a File, Folder or Registry Key in Windows? - AskVG

See if Store/Calculator/3D Paint/Calendar... works. If so, you should be good!

If not!!

You might have to do the same for

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore* folders.

SteveNone1966, May 30, 2020
Thema:

"This access control entry is corrupt" for the WindowsApps folder and nothing else

1. "This access control entry is corrupt" for the WindowsApps folder and nothing else - Similar Threads - access control entry

2. Cannot access WindowsApps due to 'access control entry' being 'corrupt'

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot access WindowsApps due to 'access control entry' being 'corrupt': Hi there.I am trying to add a game I purchased off the Microsoft Store to Steam, following all the necessary steps to be able to access WindowsApps but it will not allow me because my access control entry is corrupt. I don't know how to fix it.Please help me. I am...
  3. Cannot access WindowsApps due to 'access control entry' being 'corrupt'

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot access WindowsApps due to 'access control entry' being 'corrupt': Hi there.I am trying to add a game I purchased off the Microsoft Store to Steam, following all the necessary steps to be able to access WindowsApps but it will not allow me because my access control entry is corrupt. I don't know how to fix it.Please help me. I am...
  4. access control entry is corrupt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    access control entry is corrupt: this access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create new one. while accessing windows app folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-control-entry-is-corrupt/a2e457dd-b3f8-4035-aafa-effcd38fc577
  5. access control entry is corrupt

access control entry is corrupt: this access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create new one. while accessing windows app folder https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/access-control-entry-is-corrupt/a2e457dd-b3f8-4035-aafa-effcd38fc577
  6. access control entry is corrupt

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  7. Accessing the WindowsApp folder

Accessing the WindowsApp folder: As the title states, I am trying to access the WindowsApp folder. However none of what I've found online has helped me acess it. I've tried changing owners, but I have failed. My PC is an HP Laptop with Windows 10 installed. Thanks for all of the help!...
  8. Permission Entry WindowsApps - Corrupt

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Permission Entry WindowsApps - Corrupt: Hi Added myself as admin an admin user to have full control of thisfolder in order to be able to view contents for a reason that is is irrelevant to the current problem. Stupidly I did not screenshot the list of permissions before making the change which did not see to...
  9. Permission Entry WindowsApps - Corrupt

in Windows 10 Support
    Permission Entry WindowsApps - Corrupt: Hi Added myself as admin an admin user to have full control of thisfolder in order to be able to view contents for a reason that is is irrelevant to the current problem. Stupidly I did not screenshot the list of permissions before making the change which did not see to...
  10. Access Control Entry is Corrupt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access Control Entry is Corrupt: "This access control entry is corrupt. Delete it and create a new one." This is the error that I received after trying to open a WindowsApps folder in the D: drive in a recently-new computer (that previously only had personal files like pictures) that was freshly written...