Windows 10: this device cannot start. code 10 usb mass storage device

Discus and support this device cannot start. code 10 usb mass storage device in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I had terrible problem for some time already cannot fix it. I search online help but so far nothing is helping. new line. For some reason my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by docko4, Mar 15, 2020.

1. docko4 Win User

this device cannot start. code 10 usb mass storage device

Hi,

I had terrible problem for some time already cannot fix it. I search online help but so far nothing is helping. new line.

For some reason my external hard drive is not showing up in the window Explorer. Even though a few days ago everything was okay. When I go to device manager I have error message "this device cannot start. code 10 usb mass storage device", I don't know anymore what to do and how to fix it.

If it is anybody out there who can help me please help me.

If you need more info from me let me know please.

Thank you very much

Daniel

:)

docko4, Mar 15, 2020
  2. KevH123 Win User

how to change "USB attached SCSI mass storage device" to "USB mass storage device"

Hi there:

I have a Seagate USB portable drive and I mainly use it to connect to my ASUS Oplay! media player to watch the content on TV.

This device use to be an USB mass storage device.

Recently, I noticed whenever I eject my seagte portable drive, the device is showing as ""USB attached SCSI mass storage device" instead of a regular "USB mass storage device". This is when my media player stopped recognising the portable drive (showing
    the device is not supported). The portable drive works fine on my Windows 10 PC, just not recognising by my media player anymore.

Wondering if anyone can point out how I can restore my portable hard drive back to a generic USB mass storage device instead of being a "USB attached SCSI mass storage device".

Thank you.

KevH123, Mar 15, 2020
  3. KevH123 Win User
    how to change "USB attached SCSI mass storage device" to "USB mass storage device"

Hello Ma. Lau:

Thank you for the reply.

Please see my answers below.

• Yes, I have an updated Windows 10 on my computer.
    • I have been trying to google the solutions and these past couple days I have been trying to update my device driver in Device Manager. However, none of the item under "disk drive" or "storage controllers" has the option to update the drive to "USB mass
      storage device". I also tried to update the driver by pointing the update path to "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository" but still can't seem to fix it.
    • I am not sure if I have the updated USB driver on my Windows 10 PC. When I checked the USB controller under Device Manager, it says the software for the device is up to date.

Thanks again for the help!

KevH123, Mar 15, 2020
  4. this device cannot start. code 10 usb mass storage device

USB Mass Storage device is an older USB device and moight not work with USB 3.0

Open Start > Settings > Update & security > Troubleshoot

Scroll down

Click Hardware and Devices

Click Run the Troubleshooter

When complete, restart to see if the problem is resolved.

If that does not work...

Press Windows key + X

Click Device Manager

Expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers

Right click the USB Mass Storage Device in the list

Click Uninstall

Restart then check if its detected and working.

Other things you can try:

Step 1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog

Step 2. Type regedit and press Enter

Step 3. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_Machine > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Services > USB

Step 4. If the USB key does not exist into the list, then create a new key USB under Services. Now create a new DWORD value under the key that you’ve just created

Step 5. Keep the USB key selected and right-click on the blank space at the right pane

Step 6. Select New > DWORD value from the context menu

Step 7.Rename this newly created DWORD value as DisableSelectiveSuspend

Step 8. Right-click on DisableSelectiveSuspend and select Modify

Step 9. Put 1 in Value data field and then click OK

Step 10. Reboot your PC

Andre Da Costa, Mar 15, 2020
Thema:

this device cannot start. code 10 usb mass storage device

1. this device cannot start. code 10 usb mass storage device - Similar Threads - device cannot start

2. "Generic MassStorageClass USB Device" VS. "USB Mass Storage Device USB Device"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Generic MassStorageClass USB Device" VS. "USB Mass Storage Device USB Device": I have a piece of software that I MUST use to make flash cards for some equipment. The flash cards are essentially the equipment's hard drive and they have a mix of Linux and Windows partitions. Here is the problem I'm having...I have a flash card reader made by Onn that...
  3. USB CD Drive being shown as USB Mass Storage Device - This device cannot start. Code 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB CD Drive being shown as USB Mass Storage Device - This device cannot start. Code 10: I have been using a CD drive USB connected for a couple of days and it is now showing up as having an error in the control panel and states This device cannot start. Code 10I have tried troubleshooting, uninstalling the driver and restarting, updating the driver with a CD rom...
  4. USB CD Drive being shown as USB Mass Storage Device - This device cannot start. Code 10

USB CD Drive being shown as USB Mass Storage Device - This device cannot start. Code 10: I have been using a CD drive USB connected for a couple of days and it is now showing up as having an error in the control panel and states This device cannot start. Code 10I have tried troubleshooting, uninstalling the driver and restarting, updating the driver with a CD rom...
  5. USB Mass Storage Device cannot be read under win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Mass Storage Device cannot be read under win11: Hi, here I have a card reader and I plugged in to my win11 PCIt shows as "USB Mass Storage Driver" in the windows device managementbut it doesn't show in my PC, or in other words I cannot read my deviceI have tested it on the other win10 PC and it worked well so I believe the...
  6. USB Mass Storage Device problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    USB Mass Storage Device problem: Hello,I have a problem with any flash drive or external drive on my Windows 11 PC, When I first boot up the PC the USB ports, the flash drive, and external drives work fine, but as soon as I unplug them and plug them back in they don't show up in the File Explorer and a...
  7. USB Mass Storage Device problem

USB Mass Storage Device problem: Hello,I have a problem with any flash drive or external drive on my Windows 11 PC, When I first boot up the PC the USB ports, the flash drive, and external drives work fine, but as soon as I unplug them and plug them back in they don't show up in the File Explorer and a...
  8. cannot eject usb mass storage device

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    cannot eject usb mass storage device: Hi, I am using windows 10 in a dell desktop. I cannot eject usb mass storage device. With all programs closed I am told "this device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device. with everything closed this still comes up. How can I...
  9. USB Mass Storage Device (Code38)

USB Mass Storage Device (Code38): Hi All I've been working on this issue for a few weeks months now and still no joy. My issue is as follows and I hope someone can point me in the right direction; If I boot the workstation fresh my external USB drive is present and works. That night I am able to run...
  10. USB mass storage device problem

USB mass storage device problem: I am running a windows 10. AMD FX 8320 Eight-Core Processor 3.5Ghz 8GB Ram 64 Bit Windows Version 1803 I am trying to do some work where I need to write data (3D print files) to an SD card for printing. It is part of a product testing cycle. When I first turn the...
Tags: