Windows 10: This device is currently in use – USB error on Windows 10

Discus and support This device is currently in use – USB error on Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; [ATTACH] [ATTACH]We use our external USB storage devices, peripherals, and a number of devices almost daily. Now when taking out the USB Storage... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, Mar 3, 2019.

1. WinClub New Member

This device is currently in use – USB error on Windows 10

WinClub, Mar 3, 2019

2. Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Mar 3, 2019
  3. Agility Win User
    Multi-bootable USB

Hey guys from TPU, couldn't find any specific thread pertaining to the question asked on title. As mentioned, I'm trying to create a bootable USB, but with many specifics boots available.

I've been trying to create one with multiple boot device including one that enables me to run Windows 10 directly on the USB Thumb Drive but to no avail.

The list of bootable images i'm trying to create are

1. Windows 10 (A full OS running from thumb drive)
    2. Windows 10 ISO (Bootable disk image for fresh install)
    3. MemTest86+

Have tried YUMI or UUI from the website USB PenDrive Linux but as this is my first time, i don't know how am i screwing up or am doing it right.. Anyone got a rough idea on a step by step guide? Thanks!

Agility, Mar 3, 2019
  4. This device is currently in use – USB error on Windows 10

Error 10 (device doesn't start) while trying to load a VCP to a USB serial converter on Windows 10

HI Joost,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being a part of Windows 10.

I understand your concern about accessing the USB device on your computer. Do not worry we will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better with this issue:

• Is this issue specific to the device (Are you able to connect any other device to your computer)?
    • Were you able to see any error code/ error message along with Error 10?
    • What is the make and model of your device?

Try the below troubleshooting steps and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks
    for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: I suggest you to refer to the Microsoft support article, refer to the section Error code: 10, try the troubleshooting steps suggested and check if it helps.

Error codes in Device Manager in Windows

Step 3: I suggest you to download and install the pending updates on your computer.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Get back to us with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Mar 3, 2019
Thema:

This device is currently in use – USB error on Windows 10

1. This device is currently in use – USB error on Windows 10 - Similar Threads - device currently –

2. Error message that 'the audio playback device is currently in use'.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Error message that 'the audio playback device is currently in use'.: I've checked internet resources, been to Device manager, made sure sound services in Windows audio are running. Checked the audio playback, can't find what app or program is using the audio. This happens with Media Player etc. I had to reinstall Windows recently and this has...
  3. Error message that 'the audio playback device is currently in use'.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Error message that 'the audio playback device is currently in use'.: I've checked internet resources, been to Device manager, made sure sound services in Windows audio are running. Checked the audio playback, can't find what app or program is using the audio. This happens with Media Player etc. I had to reinstall Windows recently and this has...
  4. Error message that 'the audio playback device is currently in use'.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device-This device is currently in use. Close any...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device-This device is currently in use. Close any...: I have tried the following:1. Ran Anti Virus2. Turned off all security software3. I've tried Task manager, Disk Mgmt, and Device Manager.4. I ran Autoruns, Handle, and Process Explorer-not finding any files being used by USB Drive.I have 1 Sandisk with MP4's, 1 Cruzer with...
  6. USB Device Over Current Status Detected error on Windows computer

in Windows 10 News
    USB Device Over Current Status Detected error on Windows computer: [IMG]If you receive the USB Device Over Current Status Detected error notification message when you power on your Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer, then this post is intended to help you. In this post, we will provide the most suitable solutions affected users can try to...
  7. THIS DEVICE IS CURRENTLY IN USE issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    THIS DEVICE IS CURRENTLY IN USE issue: Good day, Just recently I have problem removing my mass storage since the last update. I have 2 HDD, 1 is 2TB Transend and 1 is 4TB MyPassport. With my 2TB, I don't have any problem removing, but for my 4TB it always shows error "this device is currently in use". I tried to...
  8. "This device is currently in use" USB error msg (Win ver 1903)

"This device is currently in use" USB error msg (Win ver 1903): Hello, I've had trouble off and on for YEARS with receiving the "This device is currently in use. Close any programs or windows that might be using the device, and then try again." error message when attempting to remove external drives connected to a USB port. Occasionally...
  9. Problem ejecting USB Mass Storage Device, This device is currently in use

in Windows 10 News
    Problem ejecting USB Mass Storage Device, This device is currently in use: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]The standard procedure to eject a USB drive, or for that matter any external media is to select the option “Safely remove hardware and eject media” from the Taskbar menu. However, at times while trying to eject the media through [...] This post Problem...
  10. "This device is currently in use" message -- with WD external USB 3.0 discs.

"This device is currently in use" message -- with WD external USB 3.0 discs.: I have been getting this message consistently with a Western Digital USB 3.0 Passport (2TB) disc which I just bought recently. I have been using it to keep files, backup, etc. on my Win10 laptop. When I plug USB 3.0 sticks (16GB or 64GB) from generic brands, they...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. this device is currently in use windows 10

2. device is currently in use