Windows 10: This device is locked because of family settings for screen time

Discus and support This device is locked because of family settings for screen time in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; If on your Windows 10 computer, you aren’t able to log in and you see a message that This device is locked because of your family settings for screen... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinClub, May 5, 2021.

1. WinClub New Member

This device is locked because of family settings for screen time

If on your Windows 10 computer, you aren’t able to log in and you see a message that This device is locked because of your family settings for screen time, then this post might help you solve this problem. Such an issue occurs when you have set up a screen time limit for your child’s account on Windows 10 using Microsoft Family Safety.

This device is locked because of family settings for screen time device-locked-because-family-settings.png

This device is locked because of your family settings for screen time

To solve this problem, you can try the following options:

1. Increase screen time limit
    2. Create a new Child account.

Let’s check both options.

1] Increase screen time limit

When you have set up a screen time limit say 8 hours, 9 hours, etc., then your child’s account is locked on the exact time set by you. So, you need to allow or increase the screen time limit. It can be done in three ways:

• Using Microsoft Family Safety account
    • Using My Parent is here option
    • Using Send a request option.
    Using Microsoft Family Safety account

This device is locked because of family settings for screen time use-Microsoft-Family-Safety-account.png

The steps are as follows:

1. Open Microsoft Family Safety homepage
    2. Login with your account credentials. You need to log in with your parent account
    3. Click on the More options drop-down menu available for your child account
    4. Select Screen time option
    5. Scroll down the page
    6. Expand Windows 10 devices section
    7. Click on the day for which your device is locked
    8. Change screen time limit
    9. Press on the Done button.

Alternatively, you can also use Microsoft Family Safety mobile app to increase the screen time limit.

Using My Parent is here option

When the message is displayed that this device is locked because of your family settings for screen time, a My Parent is here option is given in that message. You can click on that option. After that, it will prompt you to sign in with your parent account.

Once you have signed in with your parent account, it will provide Extend by drop-down menu where you can set minutes (say 15 minutes, 30 minutes, one hour, 8 hours, etc.) to give more time for your child’s account. Select a time limit and then press Allow button.

This device is locked because of family settings for screen time extend-screen-time-limit.png

After that, your child will be able to use the locked device again.

Using Send a request option

This option can also help you access your locked Windows 10 device. What you need to do is access the child account which is locked and you will see the same message. In that message, there is a Send a request option. Click on that option.

Now you will receive an email in your parent account. Login to your email account and open that email. In that email, you will have options (like 15 minutes, 30 minutes, etc.) for extra time.

This device is locked because of family settings for screen time select-extra-time.png

Click on an option. It will open your Microsoft Family Safety account and you will see a message that you have given your child more screen time today.

Once done, your child will be able to log in and use his/her Windows 10 account again.

2] Create a new Child account

This device is locked because of family settings for screen time create-new-child-account.png

If using the above options, you’re still not able to access the locked device, then chances are your child’s account has gone corrupted. In that case, you need to add a new child account on your Windows 10 computer using the Settings app.

Read: Fix we couldn’t connect to the Microsoft family right now.

Once the child account is created, access your Microsoft Family Safety account, and set up a family by inviting and adding your child, and then he/she will be able to login to his/her Windows 10 device. Later, you can also set up a screen time limit for your child as per your requirements.

Hope this will help.

This device is locked because of family settings for screen time device-locked-because-family-settings.png
    This article This device is locked because of family settings for screen time first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com.

read more...

WinClub, May 5, 2021
  2. RonBDot Win User

MS Family Screen Time - Locked Screen

On some days, MS Family reports more than 9 hours of screen time on my child’s account when I’m confident it should be far less. Does MS Family keep the clock running even when the screen is locked? If so, I suggest you pause the clock when the screen
    is locked.

RonBDot, May 5, 2021
  3. Anonimiss Win User
    Family Screen time is not working!

I had this exact problem and these are the steps I took to get the issue resolved:

• Navigate to family safety settings and remove the child from the family having issues.
    • Login to the childs account and launch Settings (windows key + i)
    • Click the Accounts icon and select Sign in with local account instead
    • Follow the steps to change to a local account. When completed, Login back to your account (admin account)
    • Go back to the family safety settings and add your child back to the family group.
    • Access your childs email address to accept the family invitation
    • Verify the child now shows properly in the family settings and that the screen times are still correct.
    • Login to the childs account and launch Settings (windows key + i)
    • Click the Accounts icon and select Sign in with microsoft account instead
    • Your family settings should now take affect.

I know this is pretty tedious, but like I said, it worked for me. If you are still having trouble, I suggest contacting support and they can help walk you through the steps to get it resolved.

Anonimiss, May 5, 2021
  4. This device is locked because of family settings for screen time

Family Safety screen time stuck on old settings

• I set up family safety settings under windows 8.
    • Configured screen time options to for only daytime, so as to prevent my son from using the computer too early or too late in the day.
    • I've upgraded the computer to Windows 10 (live update, not a fresh install).
    • Now I want to change the screen time settings for my son. Nothing I have attempted (short of clean install of Windows) has worked.
      • Changing time settings doesn't work
      • Turning off Screen Time doesn't help
      • Removing/Adding his account from family safety doesn't help
      • Removing/Adding the computer from family safety doesn't help
    • I don't see a Windows Family Safety service running on the machine, which is odd.
    • I really don't want to do a fresh Windows install.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Noyabronok1, May 5, 2021
Thema:

This device is locked because of family settings for screen time

1. This device is locked because of family settings for screen time - Similar Threads - device locked family

2. Family safety - device time set or App time settings do not work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Family safety - device time set or App time settings do not work: I have set 3 hrs of device usage overall on Widows 11 laptops Home game laptop and School laptop, I have also set 2 hrs of limits on the main game platform apps - steam for example - as well as the chrome browser.The limits are totally ignored, and seem irrelevant, just do...
  3. Family safety - device time set or App time settings do not work

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Family safety - device time set or App time settings do not work: I have set 3 hrs of device usage overall on Widows 11 laptops Home game laptop and School laptop, I have also set 2 hrs of limits on the main game platform apps - steam for example - as well as the chrome browser.The limits are totally ignored, and seem irrelevant, just do...
  4. screen times/ family settings

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    screen times/ family settings: I have set screen times for my daughter of ten, and blocked certain wsebsites. The settings synchronoize with her linked device. My daughter is a standard user, she doesn't know how to access her Microsoft account, but she logs in with her Microsoft account. Often, when...
  5. screen times/ family settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    screen times/ family settings: I have set screen times for my daughter of ten, and blocked certain wsebsites. The settings synchronoize with her linked device. My daughter is a standard user, she doesn't know how to access her Microsoft account, but she logs in with her Microsoft account. Often, when...
  6. screen times/ family settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Locked out of laptop by MS Family screen time

Locked out of laptop by MS Family screen time: My son's laptop is completely blocked from use by rogue Microsoft Family screen time settings. We can get to the login screen and log in, but are immediately presented with a "Times Up" dialog box that says "This device is locked because of your family settings for screen...
  8. Family Settings Times

Family Settings Times: I have just set up Family account as my kids now have their own devices but the reporting time is not correct. Even though all devices are set to the same region and timezone the activity reports don't match the days and times my kids are on their devices. In addition when I...
  9. MS Family Screen Time - Locked Screen

MS Family Screen Time - Locked Screen: On some days, MS Family reports more than 9 hours of screen time on my child’s account when I’m confident it should be far less. Does MS Family keep the clock running even when the screen is locked? If so, I suggest you pause the clock when the screen is locked....
  10. Setting screen time in MS Family

Setting screen time in MS Family: As I see I can only set a screen time for my child with a minimum of 30 minutes. Can I change it and adjust the settings so I could set a screen time like 3.30 – 4.15?...