Windows 10: This document may be read only or encrypted

Discus and support This document may be read only or encrypted in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There is a user in our domain that recently had to change their password because it has expired. Since they have changed their password all files that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Quazmear, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Quazmear Win User

This document may be read only or encrypted

There is a user in our domain that recently had to change their password because it has expired. Since they have changed their password all files that they created or saved on their computer are starting to say "This document may be read only or encrypted". This isn't only happening with excel documents, but word documents and PDFs as well. Trying to figure this out I did give the ownership of the C drive and it was even saying that. I checked the users folder that it was under and I unchecked read only for the permissions. No luck. I am at a stand still on what is going on here.

:)

Quazmear, Feb 26, 2021
  2. S_and_S Win User

Encrypted documents.

I think Jim could be right. Do you know for a fact that the files were encrypted? If so, what application was used to encrypt?

Otherwise ... if you're not opening those documents with the same application that was used to create them in the first place, the application you are using to read them now may not be able to understand the file format. The result is page after page of
    gobbledygook.

S_and_S, Feb 26, 2021
  3. MarvinKX Win User
    encrypted document on wordpad

I created an important document on wordpad and opened it to edit. The document was encrypted. I did not encrypt the document or anything else. This certain document is the only one encrypted on wordpad. How do I recover my document ?

MarvinKX, Feb 26, 2021
  4. MarvinKX Win User

encrypted document on wordpad

I'm not sure how to do the screenshot.. However - As to your question about creating the document on the same PC - Yes it's the same PC.. I created the document and printed out one copy. However - after reading it - I decided to edit and add more to
    the document the next day. I opened it up on file and it's encrypted. Other documents on the same file are not.

MarvinKX, Feb 26, 2021
Thema:

1. This document may be read only or encrypted - Similar Threads - document may read

2. Read Only - Documents

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Read Only - Documents: How do I get my documents folder out of Read Only? I have tried going into properties and unchecking the Read Only, then apply but it is still saying Read Only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-documents/3a734612-b28b-4453-ae9b-32314aceb64f
  3. Read Only - Documents

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Read Only - Documents: How do I get my documents folder out of Read Only? I have tried going into properties and unchecking the Read Only, then apply but it is still saying Read Only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-documents/3a734612-b28b-4453-ae9b-32314aceb64f
  4. Read Only - Documents

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Read-only documents

Read-only documents: When I attempt to save new documents in Word 2019, the "read-only" check box is always selected. How do I change my file properties, so that all my new documents can be edited, and/or deleted?...
  6. Excel cannot access <a subfolder>. The document may be read only or encrypted.

Excel cannot access <a subfolder>. The document may be read only or encrypted.: The above error started today. It occurs when Personal.xlsm attempts to launch, whether it is in the background when I open excel files that contain macros or if I launch Personal.xlsb from the XLStart folder. The <item in question> is a subfolder, not a file. I have...
  7. read only documents

read only documents: After upgrading to Windows 10 and restoring my documents they are now all read-only. how can I reverse this so I can open and edit? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-documents/29e2e95a-8c1e-4484-ada3-56d06e2b487f"
  8. read only document

read only document: How do I change my document from a read only https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/read-only-document/1a578271-3dea-4ac2-aed1-3a6b1f0634ea"
  9. Read-only documents

in Windows 10 Customization
    Read-only documents: I am frustrated when opening a document and it had defaulted to read-only. I would like to remove that feature permanently. I don't always find the need to protect my documents by read-only. Is there a way to change this? I can change it but it won't stay; I find that the...
  10. Read only Documents

Read only Documents: Hello, all my documents in any of my Microsoft office programs are "READ ONLY" and "UPLOAD BLOCKED cannot verify necessary permissions". I haven't changed any settings or anything and all of the sudden this keeps popping up. I need help settings all Microsoft programs...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Excel cannot access the document may be read-only or encrypted