Windows 10: This is a home computer; its not part of a business network OPTION

Discus and support This is a home computer; its not part of a business network OPTION in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; HelloI Try to change this option many times and after restart its changing itself everytime to This computer is part of business netowork etc.I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by MARIO3142, May 17, 2022.

1. MARIO3142 Win User

This is a home computer; its not part of a business network OPTION

HelloI Try to change this option many times and after restart its changing itself everytime to This computer is part of business netowork etc.I have home computer not business one.The reason I do that is to see other network computer in my home to transfer files. Cannot see one. Changed services and SMB already. My Network is Private etc.Why WINDOWS is asking me to restart and after that its changing it back again to business network?Why its like that default? Thanks.

:)

MARIO3142, May 17, 2022
  2. larrymcg Win User

System thinks PC is part of business network - it isn't

Win10 AU v 1607. This is a PC I bought from HP (which might explain everything!).

The "Join a Domain or Workgroup" option claims my PC is part of a business network. It is not and never has been. Changing the option to be a home computer does not stick. I can select it but it goes away the next time I look. the "Change privacy options" function also claims that some options are managed by my organization.

I'm not sure that any of this is causing my problems but it seems a bit strange to me. I've been using this PC for more than a year and it has always been claiming it is in a business network.

Should I just ignore this?

Curiously,
    Larry

This is a home computer; its not part of  a business network OPTION [​IMG]

This is a home computer; its not part of  a business network OPTION [​IMG]

larrymcg, May 17, 2022
  3. Bree Win User
    System thinks PC is part of business network - it isn't

Some confusion here, I think. You have gone to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\System and clicked 'Advanced system properties' then the 'Computer name' tab. Here it says 'To use a wizard to join a domain or workgroup click Network ID'.

The wizard is not showing you what the current status is, it's asking you what you would like it to become. It has to offer one or the other option as default, it happens to be the business one that's pre-selected - that's all.

As for the 'Organisation WORKGROUP' - 'organisation' is just the word MS chose as best(?) describing anything you may want to 'join'. The word is hard-coded into Settings and says the same thing whatever your network settings are, for Home or Pro.

'Some settings are managed by your organization' - I get that on my PCs, Home and Pro. As they were all upgraded to 10 from 7, I suspect the particular policy setting triggering that message was inherited from the previous OS. So far I haven't tracked down which one it is, but as nothing seems to be 'greyed out' in Settings and everything seems to be working I haven't tried too hard.

4. This is a home computer; its not part of a business network OPTION

Network/Business Selection

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

Let me ask you;

• Are you referring to WorkGroup when you say "business"?
    • Is your computer connected to domain?
    If you are referring to WorkGroup, a workgroup is a group of PCs that are connected to a home or small office network and share resources, such as printers and files. When you set up a network, Windows automatically creates a workgroup and gives it a name.

A homegroup is a group of PCs on a home network that can share pictures, music, videos, documents, and printers. Belonging to a homegroup makes sharing easier.

• PCs on a home network must belong to a workgroup, but they can also belong to a homegroup.

• A homegroup is protected with a password, but you only need to enter the password once, when adding your PC to the homegroup.
    You can try the steps as below and check:

1. Click on the Start button on your computer

2. Type "Homegroup" in the search box

3. In the search results, click on "Homegroup"

4. If you already have a computer hosting a Homegroup, you will see the option to
    Join the group

If you don't have a Homegroup already setup, you will see the option to
    Create a new Homegroup

Once you click on "Join now" button, you will be guided through a wizard to join the group.

5. In the next step, share the files and devices you want to share and click
    "Next"

6. In the next step, you will need to enter the password of your Homegroup. If you are joining a Homegroup created on another computer, you will need to obtain the password from the administrator of that computer. The computer name and username will be displayed
    on the screen so that you can ask the appropriate person for the password.

Note: If you are creating a new Homegroup, you will be prompted to create a new password.

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Niranjan Manjhi, May 17, 2022
Thema:

This is a home computer; its not part of a business network OPTION

1. This is a home computer; its not part of a business network OPTION - Similar Threads - home computer part

2. This is a home computer; its not part of a business network OPTION

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This is a home computer; its not part of a business network OPTION: HelloI Try to change this option many times and after restart its changing itself everytime to This computer is part of business netowork etc.I have home computer not business one.The reason I do that is to see other network computer in my home to transfer files. Cannot see...
  3. This is a home computer; its not part of a business network OPTION

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    This is a home computer; its not part of a business network OPTION: HelloI Try to change this option many times and after restart its changing itself everytime to This computer is part of business netowork etc.I have home computer not business one.The reason I do that is to see other network computer in my home to transfer files. Cannot see...
  4. Fresh Win 10 Pro install says on business network when its home and cant change

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Fresh Win 10 Pro install says on business network when its home and cant change: Hello,A friend of mine has closed his business and was throwing out 3 PC's so I got them and the version of Windows they have aren't activating.So I have done a fresh install using the Microsoft Windows install tool downloaded direct from MS and it installs fine, I am buying...
  5. Can't change Network ID to Home from Business

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't change Network ID to Home from Business: My computer is not and never has been part of any business. It is a home computer. Every time I attempt to change the setting to home it reverts back to business. I went into group policy editor and changed so users can change that setting and it Didn't help either. The issue...
  6. Unable to change Network ID from business to home

Unable to change Network ID from business to home: I am trying to change my Network ID from a business network to home but after restarting my computer it keeps coming up as business. Windows 10 Pro Ver. 20H2...
  7. Change from business PC network to home PC network

Change from business PC network to home PC network: How do I change from a Business PC network setup to a home PC (simple file sharing). My system says it's part of a business network which is incorrect....
  8. Change from Business to Home network doesn't stick

Change from Business to Home network doesn't stick: When I change from This computer is part of a Business network to This is a Home computer then reboot, then change doesn't stick. It goes right back to Business Network. All I have are two Desktops (Win 10 and Win 7) and two Laptops (both Win 10). I don't remember setting...
  9. Change from Business to Home network doesn't stick

in Windows 10 Support
    Change from Business to Home network doesn't stick: When I change from This computer is part of a Business network to This is a Home computer then reboot, then change doesn't stick. It goes right back to Business Network. All I have are two Desktops (Win 10 and Win 7) and two Laptops (both Win 10). I don't remember setting...
  10. System thinks PC is part of business network - it isn't

System thinks PC is part of business network - it isn't: Win10 AU v 1607. This is a PC I bought from HP (which might explain everything!). The "Join a Domain or Workgroup" option claims my PC is part of a business network. It is not and never has been. Changing the option to be a home computer does not stick. I can select it but...