Windows 10: this is what the MS tech rep told me... true or not?

Discus and support this is what the MS tech rep told me... true or not? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; [img] context: I have a Dell with OEM W7 which I have upgraded to W10 with digital entitlement. Mobo is getting glitchy so I want to build a new one... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by zeroch, May 27, 2016.

1. zeroch Win User

this is what the MS tech rep told me... true or not?

this is what the MS tech rep told me... true or not? [​IMG]

context: I have a Dell with OEM W7 which I have upgraded to W10 with digital entitlement. Mobo is getting glitchy so I want to build a new one while keeping the existing HD. I have heard everywhere that the OS is tied to Mobo and the OEM win license is tied to this dell machine only. Not wanting to buy a new W10 license and reinstall everything, I called and made sure the tech rep understood those and checked with her whether I could migrate my OEM license or not. Her reply, after accessing my machine from her end to check on things, was essentially that I can just unplug my HD, hook it up with my new mobo and everything runs fine. Sounds too good to be true so I asked her twice to confirm, both answers is absolutely yes (due to my digital entitlement.)

So, either....
    1. What she said is indeed true, not only can I migrate my OEM license to a new mobo and no need to do a clean install (then how comes everywhere I read it contradicts this?)
    2. She did not understand/pay attention to the part where I emphasized the OEM license/mobo and she gave the wrong answer.

Which is it? Does the "digital entitlement" she was referring to a free pass that overrides all those restriction? (tied to mobo, OEM license limited to one machine)

:)

zeroch, May 27, 2016
  2. LindaRah Win User

Continuous Rebooting

compuer keeps rebooting every few minutes after MS rep tried to fix download issue. Spent 4.5 hours on phone with 10 reps and 3 hangups, 2 disconnects and no call backs. Told unable to escalate call, will have tech 2 call on Friday

LindaRah, May 27, 2016
  3. Unable to add child account to My Family on Windows Phone account.

Yes, I agree this isn't a good solution. It's a bit ridiculous that the official answer I've received from Microsoft so far is to post in the forum. The official Twitter account told me to try going back to the chat help. I wasted almost an hour in chat,
    then the chat rep told me to come here. It shouldn't be this hard.

GREGMOLENDA, May 27, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

If defective Mobo is being replaced by same one, than drivers will be same so no need to reinstall windows because that's only reason for clean installation. Only possible problem could be windows registration because of few factors. One is OEM version of windows where license is tied to particular MB and it's serial number. That problem (if it arises) could be solved by a call to MS. In case of direct replacement buy manufacturer even it's serial number should be identical.

CountMike, May 27, 2016
  5. Superfly Win User
    You seem more intelligent than MS support ... so take that as my answer *Wink

Having said that, if the mobo/cpu has a similar build it may pass

EDIT: @CountMike - it's not serial related, rather model.

Superfly, May 27, 2016
  6. zeroch Win User
    I am not planning to replace my mobo with an identical one. I did not explicitly mention this to the tech rep. Maybe I should hook up with them once more to clarify and see they give the same answer

zeroch, May 27, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Yeah, you should recheck with them as it's OEM edition. There's occasional glitch even with Retail version.

CountMike, May 27, 2016
  8. fireberd Win User

I would do some checking before replacing the motherboard in a Dell with a non-Dell motherboard. Many Dell's have proprietary cases, fixed rear I/O panels (not changeable like a retail case) and some even have proprietary front panel connectors.

Usually, the best option if a non-Dell motherboard is used is to also buy a new case.

fireberd, May 27, 2016
  9. If it's activated with a Digital Entitlement it is not transferable. Moving the hard drive to a different hardware footprint (different PC) will invalidate activation. If it's activated with a product code, that's different. Then you get into the whole OEM versus retail thing.
    When you do the free upgrade, and then activate Windows 10 on that hardware. A fingerprint if you will, of that PC's hardware is stored on the Microsoft activation server with a digital entitlement to the version of Windows 10 you got via the free upgrade. Do a clean install of that same version of Windows 10 on that hardware (PC) and it will activate with no need to enter a product code. It will just use a generic code given out with the Digital Entitlement. Everybody with home has the same code and everybody with pro has the same code etc. The product code is useless without the digital entitlement. When you move your hard drive to the new hardware it will be seen as a different PC to the activation server. There won't be any digital entitlement on record for that hardware it so it will fail activation.

alphanumeric, May 27, 2016
  10. cereberus Win User
    Absolutely no doubt - it is not transferable.

See section 4 in windows 10 eula.

Clearly stated in EULA that windows 10 may only be transferred to a new device (mobo, pc or vm) if licence is standalone (retail) or upgraded from a retail licence.

MS may activate a like for like replacement but they are not actually legally obliged to do so - it is actually responsibility of oem to ensure you are licenced if mobo fails in warranty period. Outside warrany - tough luck.

cereberus, May 27, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

try it and see

If it doesn't work you aren't in any WORSE situation -- often just phoning the activation line will work -- the "Robot" ist level system will sometimes pass a New Mobo -- even if it fails - you can try again -- with (increasingly rare these days) to get a real HUMAN operator.

Ms are usually quite reasonable -- especially if you say the computer Mobo went defective during your upgrade -- emphasize though that you aren't blaming Ms for that !!!!.

I've probably had more activations from Ms in various flavours of Windows than most people have had Hot Dinners -- just be reasonable and even if you aren't strictly speaking entitled to a free activation you can often get one.
    As always if you have any working computer TAKE A BACKUP before doing any upgrades etc so whatever happens you can restore back to your working system again.

Things like Free Macrium are 100% good for this -- also keep OS + pgms on a separate partition / HDD to your data etc -- a small SSD is great for this if you have space for one.

Just "Be Nice" !!!!!!. even if you think they are Grade A a$$holes !!!!! - they usually aren't though --it's not in Ms's interests to irritate customers no matter how small.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, May 27, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Well, I will tell you what happened to me last week. I have two identical laptops. Same model number, same hardware, exactly the same in every way (except for serial numbers). My daughter's laptop got upgraded to Windows 10 Home. The spare, identical laptop, got upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. Both had digital entitlements. My daughter's screen hinge broke, so I took the hard drive out of hers and put it in the identical spare laptop. Windows 10 Home deactivated. It deactivated because the spare laptop had never had Windows 10 Home on it before. I had the Windows 8.1 Core product key for the spare laptop and I had to use that to activate the Windows 10 Home on it.

So - in summary - the MS Technician was wrong. Move a Windows 10 HDD to a new motherboard that has never had a digital entitlement saved for it, and you will have to use a product key to activate Windows 10 on it.

NavyLCDR, May 27, 2016
  13. this is what the MS tech rep told me... true or not?

The Digital Entitlement does not override anything. It is tied to the PC at the time of first activation and is not transferable. You were given false information. You can swap some hardware and not trigger an activation request. The motherboard isn't one of those items though. If you swapped in an identical, or near identical motherboard you could get lucky an activation doesn't fail. Since all PC's using a Digital Entitlement use the same generic key(s), there is no key to move from one PC to another.

alphanumeric, May 27, 2016
  14. The part about not needing a product key is true, but must be put in proper context. If you reinstall Windows 10 on a PC that already has a Digital Entitlement you don't need to enter a key during the install. You just click skip when asked for a key. Then Windows checks for a valid Digital Entitlement for that PC. If one exists on the activation server, Windows activates. If there isn't one for that PC, it won't activate. When you move your drive to the new hardware, the latter is going to happen. It will fail activation.

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. this is what the MS tech rep told me... true or not? - Similar Threads - tech rep told

2. Why is Fortnite Blue Screening, tech support states Windows related, is this true?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is Fortnite Blue Screening, tech support states Windows related, is this true?: I keep experiencing blue screens as well as game crashes when only playing Fortnite. I have replaced my RAM and my SSD because some blue screens where saying it was memory related. I completely reformated all drives, got rid of the old SSD. Blue screens are different...
  3. Why is Fortnite Blue Screening, tech support states Windows related, is this true?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is Fortnite Blue Screening, tech support states Windows related, is this true?: I keep experiencing blue screens as well as game crashes when only playing Fortnite. I have replaced my RAM and my SSD because some blue screens where saying it was memory related. I completely reformated all drives, got rid of the old SSD. Blue screens are different...
  4. Is this tech guy true?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Is this tech guy true?: I was scrolling through YouTube and watching videos ykyk.I saw this tech guy, so I decided to click on his video, since I'm interested.This tech guy said that if you got a virus/malware/trojan, now anti-virus can fully remove it.He said that neither anti-viruses nor any kind...
  5. Can someone tell me is this true?

Can someone tell me is this true?: I have got this problem.First I tried to login my gmail using this laptop.But here was the resultSo I tried using avast to solve this issue.But this was the result.Were these true?Is the hacker hacked mine?Please help me....
  6. do i half to reinstall win 10 because the command tech told me to do never worked.

do i half to reinstall win 10 because the command tech told me to do never worked.: the reason i am being buggy is i half to run software from my school that requires the newest update [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/do-i-half-to-reinstall-win-10-because-the-command/a8f5a10b-03cc-4514-a41b-2073af829af8
  7. MS told me my Norton stopped working after changing a Norton setting

MS told me my Norton stopped working after changing a Norton setting: I changed a setting in Norton 360 from on to off and immediately afterwards a window opened that said your program has stopped woking, meaning Norton. The window was from MS. looking for a solution, etc. So i went back in and put the setting back where it had been but now I...
  8. Images for support rep

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Images for support rep: No driver updates: [ATTACH] Look at this image, you can see how small windows thinks it is [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/images-for-support-rep/648d02d0-609b-4263-9f04-ab4b40cf618b
  9. Whats the true speed of the wifi?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Whats the true speed of the wifi?: Ok this might be a noob question but I will ask. I understand for wifi there is 2.4 GHz & 5 Ghz. What confuses me is a router manufacturer will say "AC2300 WiFi - 600+1625 Mbps speeds". is this saying if I hook up my laptop to wifi that it will have speeds of 1200mbps? is...
  10. Recently had to chat with MS online tech to reactivate, tell me why?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Recently had to chat with MS online tech to reactivate, tell me why?: I have a win10 PC. It had said activated and said linked to my Microsoft account. I had been getting a few we need you to sign in again messages to verify it was me, which I dont understand that day. Anyway, I put in a drive to clone the OS. The drive had an older OS...