Windows 10: This nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record

Discus and support This nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; A new malicious program now makes it even more difficult by completely locking victims out of their computers. The new Petya ransomware overwrites... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Borg 386, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Borg 386 Win User

This nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record

This nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record | PCWorld

:)

Borg 386, Mar 28, 2016
  2. Rey Bel1 Win User

KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE when trying to update windows 10

Hi,

If you're not using any other third-party virus detection software, we recommend that you use Windows Defender to scan your device. Even when offline, this tool runs from outside of Windows kernel so it can target malware that can infect or overwrite the
    master boot records.

Regards.

Rey Bel1, Mar 28, 2016
  3. oldpaint Win User
    Ransomeware

This article was posted about 5 days ago.
    http://blog.trendmicro.com/trendlabs-security-intelligence/petya-crypto-ransomware-overwrites-mbr-lock-users-computers/

It talks about overwriting the MBR and encrypting the drive. So I assume these are 2 separate processes. At first since the article mentioned overwriting the MBR, I thought maybe having a GPT partition would stop the encryption, but now I'm thinking at best
    maybe having a GPT partition would prevent the part of the attack that stops the pc from booting up, but the files would still be encrypted.

oldpaint, Mar 28, 2016
Thema:

This nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record

1. This nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record - Similar Threads - nasty ransomware overwrites

2. How to backup a master boot record

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to backup a master boot record: How to back up a master boot record when converting to a gpt disk structure. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-backup-a-master-boot-record/da94a621-3626-4be3-b2ab-394e304743ce
  3. How to backup a master boot record

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to backup a master boot record: How to back up a master boot record when converting to a gpt disk structure. Thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-backup-a-master-boot-record/da94a621-3626-4be3-b2ab-394e304743ce
  4. How to backup a master boot record

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Individual App volume level is overwriting the Master volume level

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Individual App volume level is overwriting the Master volume level: Been having this issue for a couple of months now and across two different workstations on Windows 10. I've seen a few posts similar to mine, but none have had a solution. In short, when I start a call/meeting in MS Teams, Webex, Zoom, etc.., the volume 'session' for that...
  6. COOL Ransomware and the file overwrite my onedrive files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    COOL Ransomware and the file overwrite my onedrive files: Greetings, Recently my computer was hit by cool ransomware and encrypt all of my files. I was shocked that my onedrive keep syncing those file and overwrite the backups.Is there any way to restore it? Thank you...
  7. Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem with Master Boot Record / Windows Boot Manager: Hi, Today i was casually using my PC, when suddenly my screen freezed and I got the BSOD. Shortly after that the computer rebooted itself and instead of normally booting it displayed a message saying that I have to instert the proper boot device. I googled a bit and thought...
  8. Master Boot Record

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Master Boot Record: Okay, so I remove, from my laptop, the SSD with Windows 10 installed. Then I put in an different SSD and install Ubuntu. Now I put the SSD with Windows 10 back in the laptop alonside the SSD with Ubuntu. I turn on the laptop. What happens next? -- Am I taken to BIOS and...
  9. New Satana ransomware encrypts user files and master boot record

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    New Satana ransomware encrypts user files and master boot record: And the news just keeps getting better *sarc. Take the time to make back ups & system images. System Image - Create in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums Attackers are developing an aggressive new ransomware program for Windows machines that encrypts user files as well...
  10. Nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record

in Windows 10 News
    Nasty ransomware overwrites your PC's master boot record: It’s hard enough for non-technical users to deal with ransomware infections: understanding public-key cryptography, connecting to the Tor anonymity network and paying with Bitcoin cryptocurrency. A new malicious program now makes it even more difficult by completely locking...