Windows 10: "This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup"

Discus and support "This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup" in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, I've been trying to get the Windows 10 May 2020 Update on my laptop specifications below, but I seem to get this error no matter what I try. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SManzar, Aug 13, 2020.

1. SManzar Win User

"This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup"

Hi,

I've been trying to get the Windows 10 May 2020 Update on my laptop specifications below, but I seem to get this error no matter what I try. The update doesn't show up in the "Check for updates" utility on the UWP control panel, and so I've tried using the upgrade tool and the full Windows 10 May 2020 ISO file. Both show the exact same error message. I am not installing it from a flash drive, the error message doesn't seem to make much sense for me and there isn't any more information to go off of from my understanding

Laptop: Latest BIOS updated today, i7-4720H, GTX 960M, Windows drive with 695 GB free and a secondary drive with 397 GB free, 16 GB RAM

Thanks

:)

SManzar, Aug 13, 2020
  2. CK011885 Win User

Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

I'm going to be building a new PC on Christmas and want to install Windows 10 on it. I have Windows 10 on my current PC, which I installed upgrading from 8.1 with the files on a USB. How do I go about installing a clean copy of Windows 10 on this new PC? I think I recall something about installing it once makes Microsoft recognize your hardware, but since this will be a PC I'm not sure what steps I need to take. Do I need to go 8.1 -> 10 or is there a method of going directly to 10?

CK011885, Aug 13, 2020
  3. r.h.p Win User
    Installing Windows 10 on New PC?

What's your intended PC specs ??

r.h.p, Aug 13, 2020
  4. "This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup"

Windows 10 USB boot

Hi there, am not a windows 10 expert. I have a pc in the bedroom on windows 10, I messed up the bootloader trying to fix the xp on that system.

System wont boot, trying to repair via win 10 usb installer.

Downloaded the media creation tool to install windows 10 installer on usb stick. Not compatible with a host of usb sticks I have. Tried the usb sticks that others use, but I think they use rufus; as the media creation tool by win 10 does not detect the usb stick.

So quick question, the win10 machine i am trying to repair the bootloader is a win7 upgraded to win10.
    If i were to use the usb win10 installer to "repair installation" does the version of the iso downloaded via the media creation tool matter?

There is three options:
    Windows 10
    Windows 10 Home
    Windows 10 N

Also is there a step by step instead of using rufus as I want to try an alternative method of creating a usb win 10 installer. Preferably with more compatibility.

System is a asus sabertooth 990 (r2?) with AMD phenom X 6.

Also is there any other software I can load onto the usb that can repair the bootloader easily?
    That would be the ideal alternative. Thanks

TRUELOVE95, Aug 13, 2020
Thema:

"This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup"

1. "This PC can't run Windows 10, You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive during setup" - Similar Threads - can't run can't

2. Windows Setup fails with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows Setup fails with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".: ProblemWindows Setup failed with "You can't install Windows on a USB Flash Drive using Set-Up".See Screenshot 2, below.For Solution, see the next message in this thread... - Of 13th Jan 2022, by Sumit Dhiman-Windows Insider MVP 2018-2020 and Independent Advisor. - Many thanks...
  3. Try this fix if you get "This pc can't run Windows 11" during setup

in Windows 10 News
    Try this fix if you get "This pc can't run Windows 11" during setup: Windows 11 has stricter system requirements than Windows 10; this means that devices that run Windows 10 may not be compatible with Windows 11, even if they are not that old. Microsoft released its own test program when it announced Windows 11 that would tell you if the PC it...
  4. cannot do Windows 10 update due to "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup"

cannot do Windows 10 update due to "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup": I have been doing nearly all the Microsoft updates on my Windows 10 PC until recently when they failed to work (see 2nd image below), due to the pop up window stating "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive using Setup" (see image below). I am not trying to install...
  5. Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup

Can't install up Windows on USB flash drive during setup: I have Windows 1803 and it keeps urging me to upgrade. I installed the windows upgrade assistant. It downloads 1903, but then tells me it can't be installed on a USB flash drive. Thing is, I don't have a USB flash drive on the system. I have a SSD, but Windows can be...
  6. "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up."

"You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up.": So, I'm trying to upgrade my windows 10 to the newest version but when I try I get the "You can't install Windows on a USB flash drive while using Set-up." error. The only external device I have plugged in is a hard drive with 84.3 GB of space available. My C: drive has 18 GB...
  7. Error You can't install Windows on USB drive

Error You can't install Windows on USB drive: I want to upgrade my Windows 10 1607 to 1809. When i finish download everything and start preparing it's stop and say You can't install Windows on USB drive. I want to upgrade/update it not install Windows 10 on USB drive. I already try using MediaCreationTool1809 and...
  8. 1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive ....

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    1607 update fail - You can't install windows on a USB flash drive ....: I am running WIN 10 on a desktop PC and as of Monday I had all the current release updates installed (Not an insider on this PC) Tuesday night I used the "check for updates" and walked away. This AM I had an error message. I selected the "Fix issue" radio button and got...
  9. "You can't install Windows 10 to a USB drive using setup" cure?

"You can't install Windows 10 to a USB drive using setup" cure?: My internet searches on that message have yielded two ways of "fixing" that message when trying to install Windows 10 updates using a downloaded Windows.ISO file. The fixes are here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id...ash-drive.html My question is: Why are those...
  10. Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive: How to: Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive How to Setup and Run Windows 10 on USB Flash Drive [img] Information This tutorial will show you how to manually setup Windows 10 To Go from any Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 system and run Windows 10 from a USB...