Windows 10: This PC documents content

Discus and support This PC documents content in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a surface pro 4 running windows 10 and office 365. I am trying to understand how file storage is meant to work. In the file explorer tab I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CatB19, Jul 28, 2019.

1. CatB19 Win User

This PC documents content

I have a surface pro 4 running windows 10 and office 365.

I am trying to understand how file storage is meant to work. In the file explorer tab I see:

1. Onedrive

Documents etc

2. This PC

Documents etc

C\User

3. Documents etc

4. Onedrive

I understand that the C\User drive is the physical storage location. I understand that This PC covers everything on the C drive.

Is the This PC documents folder (2), should I expect to see all documents in C\user documents and c\user Onedrive? That is what I expected to see but I am only seeing the C\user onedrive contents in This PC documents and I'd like to understand if I have set something up incorrectly or if this is how file explorer is supposed to work.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide. I have searched everything I can to get the answer to this question without success.

Cheers

:)

CatB19, Jul 28, 2019
  2. Micah Bat Win User

Documents/Pictures folders under 'This PC' refer to onedrive - not the local folders

Since the only folder that has incorrect file path is the Documents folder under This PC, we would suggest you do the same steps provided above. However, do it in your Documents folder under This PC. To do so, kindly follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer
    • Click This PC
    • Right-click on Documents
    • Click Properties
    • Click Location
    • Click Restore Default
    • Click Apply
    • Click OK
    Also, we would like to inform you that "winhelponline.com" is not associated with Microsoft.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Jul 28, 2019
  3. mikebk Win User
    Contents of folder included in Documents Library not Displayed

I'm using Windows 10 on a Dell laptop with a SSD. I'm keeping many files on an external USB hard drive. I had included the external drive's Documents folder in my Documents library. The File Explorer displayed files and folders on both the internal SSD and the external drive in the Documents library folder. The Navigation pane displayed the folders from the external drive under the Documents icon in Quick Access, This PC and Libraries. Unfortunately, the laptop failed and it was returned with Windows 10 (version 1709) installed.

After I included the same external drive Documents folder in the Documents Library, File Explorer displayed the external drive folders under the Documents folder. It only displayed the folders on the C:\ drive in the Quick Access Documents library and the This PC libraries. I've spent hours using Google with no luck.

Here is what is shown when I click on the Documents icon in Quick Access:

This PC documents content [​IMG]

Here's what I see when I click on the Documents icon under Libraries:

Manage Libraries shows that the folder has been incuded

Does anyone have a suggestion that might allow folders to be displayed under the Documents icons?

Thanks

Mike

mikebk, Jul 28, 2019
  4. This PC documents content

Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jul 28, 2019
Thema:

This PC documents content

1. This PC documents content - Similar Threads - documents content

2. How can I make my Windows 11 PC search for content within files/documents?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can I make my Windows 11 PC search for content within files/documents?: Hello,When I had my Windows 10 computer, I saved on it an MS Word Document, basically a comprehensive list of contacts and their phone numbers. Then, if ever I received a phone call while I was at my PC and the caller ID was a number I did not recognize, while the phone was...
  3. How can I make my Windows 11 PC search for content within files/documents?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How can I make my Windows 11 PC search for content within files/documents?: Hello,When I had my Windows 10 computer, I saved on it an MS Word Document, basically a comprehensive list of contacts and their phone numbers. Then, if ever I received a phone call while I was at my PC and the caller ID was a number I did not recognize, while the phone was...
  4. Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder: Hi there,Upon returning to my laptop after a few hours, I noticed that a program stored in my documents folder wasn't launching. I looked in Documents and all of the contents except for 2 folders I used today are now gone and transferred to OneDrive even though I usually...
  5. Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder

Contents of Documents folder vanished out of nowhere, now in OneDrive Documents folder: Hi there,Upon returning to my laptop after a few hours, I noticed that a program stored in my documents folder wasn't launching. I looked in Documents and all of the contents except for 2 folders I used today are now gone and transferred to OneDrive even though I usually...
  6. New content appearing in wrong documents folder

in Windows 10 Gaming
    New content appearing in wrong documents folder: I went into "Settings" in Windows 11 and changed the location of new documents from the C drive to the D drive which has much more space. Since then, I have downloaded a couple of apps and noticed that new folders were created in the documents folder in the C -- and not D --...
  7. New content appearing in wrong documents folder

New content appearing in wrong documents folder: I went into "Settings" in Windows 11 and changed the location of new documents from the C drive to the D drive which has much more space. Since then, I have downloaded a couple of apps and noticed that new folders were created in the documents folder in the C -- and not D --...
  8. Documents folder and contents completely missing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents folder and contents completely missing: My documents folder has completely vanished without explanation. It is not in the recycle bin nor are its contents, but the entire folder including all contents is completely gone. The shortcut on the side of the File Explorer is still there, but when I click on it I get a...
  9. Documents folder and contents completely missing

Documents folder and contents completely missing: My documents folder has completely vanished without explanation. It is not in the recycle bin nor are its contents, but the entire folder including all contents is completely gone. The shortcut on the side of the File Explorer is still there, but when I click on it I get a...
  10. My Pictures and My Documents Folder Contents have vanished after Cumulative Update

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Pictures and My Documents Folder Contents have vanished after Cumulative Update: Hello. My first time here. I'm using a 4 year old LAPTOP-FKFCM15G HP Laptop 17-bs0xx with Windows 10. It's all up to date. On Thursday I restarted after installing the Cumulative Update KB5020687 and all the contents of My Pictures and Documents folders have vanished. The...