Windows 10: this pc > documents targets TEMP\Documents rather than $USER\Documets, and command prompt...

Discus and support this pc > documents targets TEMP\Documents rather than $USER\Documets, and command prompt... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi, I have logged in to my computer and noticed all my desktop items missing. Upon further inspection This PC > Desktop targets TEMP\Desktop, the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Robyn_58, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Robyn_58 Win User

this pc > documents targets TEMP\Documents rather than $USER\Documets, and command prompt...

Hi,

I have logged in to my computer and noticed all my desktop items missing. Upon further inspection This PC > Desktop targets TEMP\Desktop, the same is true for the Downloads, Documents, Pictures, et cetera quick access links. My keyboard setting has changed to English United Kingdom (I am in Australia where English US is used). If I open up cmd I see that the command prompt opens up in the directory C:\Users\TEMP. Also my local settings such as my account information for my email client, Mozilla Thunderbird are gone.

The Windows start menu still displays my usual name, so it's not as if I have been logged into a temporary account. Also all my files can still be found in C:\Users\$USER so they are not lost.

Thanks

:)

Robyn_58, Dec 6, 2019

2. Multiple 'Documents' folders under 'This PC'

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

This may happen if one the “documents” folder has been stored on different target location.

Follow the methods below and check if it helps:

Method 1

I suggest that you check both the folders location where they are saved using the below method:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Restore Default, and then click Apply and OK.

• Check what happens, try these step on all the documents folder.
    Method 2

If the above step fails then try checking the target location of both the folders by using the find target option:

• Right-click on any one documents folder and then click Properties.

• Click the Location tab, click Find target.

• Check where the target location of both the folders is and check if any one goes to the user name location and later delete the one which goes to wrong location.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Dec 6, 2019
  3. This PC\Documents does not equal users\username\Documents

Using Windows 10. My Windows 10 computer user account is the same as my Hotmail account, which Windows really really wants you to do when you set up a new computer.

In File Explorer, This PC\Documents folder contains various documents I have put there.

From the command prompt, I can navigate to c:\users\grund\Documents. grund is the first 5 characters of my Hotmail address. None of the documents visible in File Explorer Documents are visible in c:\users\grund\Documents. Why?

This is an issue when using commandline ftp.

thanks

Peter C Van, Dec 6, 2019
  4. cwtech Win User

this pc > documents targets TEMP\Documents rather than $USER\Documets, and command prompt...

command prompt will not open in safe mode with command prompt

Would I just follow the same steps within safe mode after hooking up to the other system?

cwtech, Dec 6, 2019
Thema:

1. this pc > documents targets TEMP\Documents rather than $USER\Documets, and command prompt... - Similar Threads - documents targets TEMPDocuments

2. driver unavailable, saves to PDF rather than print document

in Windows 10 Gaming
    driver unavailable, saves to PDF rather than print document: Help please. Just recently with my HP envy pro documents don't print. Solution tells me driver unavailable where do I get a driver? I switched out to my old printer a Canon and same message , driver unavailable. I was however able to print a document from my phone to printer...
  3. driver unavailable, saves to PDF rather than print document

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    driver unavailable, saves to PDF rather than print document: Help please. Just recently with my HP envy pro documents don't print. Solution tells me driver unavailable where do I get a driver? I switched out to my old printer a Canon and same message , driver unavailable. I was however able to print a document from my phone to printer...
  4. driver unavailable, saves to PDF rather than print document

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Documents Folder Target OneDrive rather than local

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Documents Folder Target OneDrive rather than local: I am setting up a new computer. After installing Office 365 Documents and Pictures folders under This PC changed from being directed to C:\Users\"my name" to C:\Users\"my name"\OneDrive. If make Libraries visible and look there both these Documents folders are shown under...
  6. Documents Folder Target OneDrive rather than local

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Documents Folder Target OneDrive rather than local: I am setting up a new computer. After installing Office 365 Documents and Pictures folders under This PC changed from being directed to C:\Users\"my name" to C:\Users\"my name"\OneDrive. If make Libraries visible and look there both these Documents folders are shown under...
  7. A very complete command prompt documentation

in Windows 10 Customization
    A very complete command prompt documentation: Hello everyone,A simple question here, where could I find a very complete documentation of command prompt? I've found this one https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/commands-by-server-role but still didn't find what I expected. As...
  8. "Start this PC with a command prompt?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Start this PC with a command prompt?: As already described in the title, I want to start "this PC" with a command prompt. Is that possible? Thanks for the many and quick answers, with which it worked :D "Dieser PC mit Eingabeaufforderung starten?
  9. Word Documenent Going to Documents Folder Rather Than Desktop ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Word Documenent Going to Documents Folder Rather Than Desktop ?: Hello, Always something new, I guess. I create a simple document in Word. Tell Windows10 to put it on the desktop. But, lately, it seems to always throw it into the Documents Folder instead. Why ? How can i get it to put it where I select, and want, the...
  10. commands in command prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    commands in command prompt: is there a full list of DOS style Commands buried somewhere in win10 i try CHKDSK and get nowhere with the command unless I'm typing it wrong. but there are a few otthers i would be interested in as well. 54240