Windows 10: "This PC" icon moving every time desktop is refreshed.

Discus and support "This PC" icon moving every time desktop is refreshed. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I don't know if this can be traced back to a recent Windows 10 system update, but the "This PC" desktop icon keeps moving to the bottom-right-most... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by rioben88, Oct 16, 2020.

1. rioben88 Win User

"This PC" icon moving every time desktop is refreshed.

I don't know if this can be traced back to a recent Windows 10 system update, but the "This PC" desktop icon keeps moving to the bottom-right-most position of the left-hand stack of desktop icons.

ie: If I put another icon there, it will move either underneath that icon or to the top of the next column to the right if there is no space underneath.

This is only happening to the "This PC" icon no other icons and if I drag the icon to its "traditional" position of being in the top-left-most corner of my desktop screen, then either reboot the PC or simply refresh the desktop by right-clicking for the menu and then clicking 'Refresh' - then it will move back to that incorrect position.

I don't have Auto-Arrange icons turned on. Any suggestions to fix this? other than just to accept/leave it or keep dragging it back where I want it every time Thanks!

:)

rioben88, Oct 16, 2020
  2. qubit Win User

Desktop Icon Keeps On Moving

That's because your resolution is changing each time. To test, try setting to 1024x768, arrange a couple of icons and then restart the PC. As long as the resolution after startup is still 1024x768, then the icons won't move. Trust me. *Wink "This PC" icon moving every time desktop is refreshed. ;)

qubit, Oct 16, 2020
  3. Desktop icons

Greg,

I deleted IconCache but when I went to see if it worked by moving an icon on my desktop and then right clicked to refresh, the icon did not move back. It seems like there is a step missing where I need to save the positions of the icons on my desktop. Any
    other suggestions?

Lou

LouisPadula, Oct 16, 2020
  4. Paolo Mag Win User

My desktop icons move to a grid on the left for no reason

Hello,

If your icons are aligned to a grid, this means that the settings of your desktop are currently auto arranged and automatically aligned. Since you want to rearrange your desktop icons on however you like them, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Right-click at a blank area on your desktop.
    • Hover on View.
    • In the right pane, look for Auto arrange icons. If it's checked, make sure to uncheck it.
    • Hover again on View.
    • This time, look for Align icons to grid. If it's checked, make sure to uncheck it.

After doing these steps, you'll be able to rearrange all your desktop icons again on how you want it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Oct 16, 2020
Thema:

1. "This PC" icon moving every time desktop is refreshed. - Similar Threads - icon moving every

2. Screen refreshes or freezes every time I right click on desktop.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen refreshes or freezes every time I right click on desktop.: Right clicking on icons work fine. However, when I try to right click on the desktop, one of two things happen:1. Screen refreshes.2. PC becomes irresponsive.In both cases, opening task manager and restarting explorer.exe fixes the issue. System Restore is not an option as I...
  3. Screen refreshes or freezes every time I right click on desktop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen refreshes or freezes every time I right click on desktop.: Right clicking on icons work fine. However, when I try to right click on the desktop, one of two things happen:1. Screen refreshes.2. PC becomes irresponsive.In both cases, opening task manager and restarting explorer.exe fixes the issue. System Restore is not an option as I...
  4. Screen refreshes or freezes every time I right click on desktop.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Desktop Icons Refreshing every time I connect to mt WI-FI

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Desktop Icons Refreshing every time I connect to mt WI-FI: Using the latest updated windows 10, I have been having a problem with desktop icons refreshing everytime I connect with my WI_FI. I have ttried SFC and DISM several times, have deleted the Icon cache, and once restarting my computer, only the first time I sign in on my...
  6. Desktop Icons Refreshing every time I connect to mt WI-FI

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Desktop Icons Refreshing every time I connect to mt WI-FI: Using the latest updated windows 10, I have been having a problem with desktop icons refreshing everytime I connect with my WI_FI. I have ttried SFC and DISM several times, have deleted the Icon cache, and once restarting my computer, only the first time I sign in on my...
  7. Desktop Icons Refreshing every time I connect to mt WI-FI

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Windows 10 moving my icons every time i restart PC?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 moving my icons every time i restart PC?: As the title says! Anyone know how to stop this? Is started doing it after the update and tried most stuff on google search! submitted by /u/jordanhopkins97 [link] [comments]...
  9. Desktop Icons Moving

Desktop Icons Moving: Every time I restart my computer, half of my desktop icons move over to my second monitor. I cannot figure out why. I've googled solutions which don't work. Both of my monitors are set to their recommended resolutions, auto arrange icons is off, and align icons to grid is on....
  10. Win10 2004 refreshes desktop icons every few minutes

Win10 2004 refreshes desktop icons every few minutes: Anyone experienced this bug yet, found what triggers it, or found a way to fix it? On my system, it began immediately after updating to 2004, and it occurs persistently, and randomly, with no obvious pattern or trigger. It logs in the Security Logs as "Audit Success" with...