Windows 10: "This PC" or File Explorer takes long time to show icons and drives

Discus and support "This PC" or File Explorer takes long time to show icons and drives in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Good Day... I have HP Probook 450 G5 laptop, with Intel i7; 8GB Ram and 250GB SSD. in which I just recently formatted. It works perfectly fine at my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jeffrey Gonzales, Aug 5, 2020.

1. "This PC" or File Explorer takes long time to show icons and drives

Good Day...

I have HP Probook 450 G5 laptop, with Intel i7; 8GB Ram and 250GB SSD. in which I just recently formatted. It works perfectly fine at my home and when I use it one of my workplace it suddenly takes forever to open "This PC" folder. The odd thing is, other software works perfectly fine. Browser, acrobat, office and autodesk trueviewer works fast except when opening File Explorer windows.

Does this have anything to with the firewall set up in my workplace?... Please help..

Thank you in advance

:)

Jeffrey Gonzales, Aug 5, 2020
  2. Noam Win User

Opening any file in windows explorer takes a long time

When I double click any file on my windows explorer it takes a long time to open.

It doesn't matter if it's a pdf, image or txt file.

Also if I right click the file and select "open with" it takes a long time to open.

Even when I select windows icons such as "Devices and printers" it takes a long time.

Any Ideas?

Noam, Aug 5, 2020
  3. artoo Win User
    win10 icons take long time to show (windows Explorer)

When I first open the Windows Explorer after starting my computer the icons for the files show up as a white box. I have run virus scans, malware scans which both finding nothing, then I defraged the drive and tried resetting the icon cache then rebooted. The same thing happens. The icon do eventually show up after the computer has been on for a while.

Has anyone else experienced this and what is a fix?

Thanks

artoo, Aug 5, 2020
  4. "This PC" or File Explorer takes long time to show icons and drives

File Explorer- no drive letters are listed.

The File Explorer in Windows 10, shows the Frequent folders list and Recent files list by default. You can view the drives by clicking on This PC tab on the left site of the File Explorer. But if you wish the File Explorer
    to open This PC showing drives list by default, then follow these steps:

1. In Windows 10, open a new File Explorer window and click the View tab from the ribbon toolbar.

2. In the View tab, find and click on Options, listed by default on the far right side of the ribbon.

3. In the Folder Options window, make sure you’re on the General tab and then find the drop-down box labeled Open File Explorer To. Click the drop-down menu and select This PC. Click OK to
    save your changes and close the window. Now your File Explorer opens to Drives list by default.

Hope this helps!

JohnCalton, Aug 5, 2020
Thema:

"This PC" or File Explorer takes long time to show icons and drives

1. "This PC" or File Explorer takes long time to show icons and drives - Similar Threads - File Explorer takes

2. File Explorer taking long time to load on new PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer taking long time to load on new PC: recently i bought a new pc for college and gaming Lenovo Legion T5 with decent specs, but out of nowhere whenever i wanna open the File Explorer it takes about 5 minutes to load, which is arguably a long time considering my 5 year old laptop loads it almost instantly. My C...
  3. File Explorer taking long time to load on new PC

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer taking long time to load on new PC: recently i bought a new pc for college and gaming Lenovo Legion T5 with decent specs, but out of nowhere whenever i wanna open the File Explorer it takes about 5 minutes to load, which is arguably a long time considering my 5 year old laptop loads it almost instantly. My C...
  4. Tabbed File explorer sidebar takes a long time to load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Tabbed File explorer sidebar takes a long time to load: Soon after receiving the update to add tabs to the file explorer, the sidebar takes quite a while to load. Often it will take up to around 10 seconds to load the sidebar with all my pinned locations.I notice this issue whenever I open the file explorer, open a new tab in file...
  5. Tabbed File explorer sidebar takes a long time to load

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Tabbed File explorer sidebar takes a long time to load: Soon after receiving the update to add tabs to the file explorer, the sidebar takes quite a while to load. Often it will take up to around 10 seconds to load the sidebar with all my pinned locations.I notice this issue whenever I open the file explorer, open a new tab in file...
  6. Files in Explorer taking a long time to display

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files in Explorer taking a long time to display: Similar to a question only asked very recently, my case might be the same. The problem is Explorer not displaying files for some time after selecting a folder and this seems to have happened following my recent update to Win10 21H1 although I cannot be certain. This problem...
  7. File Explorer suddenly takes a long time to load

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer suddenly takes a long time to load: I'm running Windows 10 OS Build 190441.867 which is the latest update. In the past 24 hours I've had to restart my PC twice because when File Explorer started up it would just show a progress bar at the top and no files. This went on for several minutes as though it was...
  8. Windows 10 takes a long time to run any executable and File Explorer takes a long time to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows 10 takes a long time to run any executable and File Explorer takes a long time to...: As per title, Windows10 takes almost 2 minutes to open any executable file. File Explorer takes up to 3 minutes to load a folder and up to one minute whenever I right click something. Disabled most of the shell extensions that caused trouble but it still lags a lot. I just...
  9. File Explorer takes long time to load contents!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    File Explorer takes long time to load contents!: Why File Explorer sometimes takes ridiculously long time to load contents? I'm running Windows 10 Home Single Language Version 1803 Build 17134.228 on HP Envy 13 Intel Core i7 6500U, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD. Please fix it Microsoft, it's very annoying! [ATTACH]...
  10. win10 icons take long time to show (windows Explorer)

in Windows 10 Support
    win10 icons take long time to show (windows Explorer): When I first open the Windows Explorer after starting my computer the icons for the files show up as a white box. I have run virus scans, malware scans which both finding nothing, then I defraged the drive and tried resetting the icon cache then rebooted. The same thing...