Windows 10: This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus

Discus and support This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I've been trying to use an external CD/DVD drive to play some old harry potter games and this is as far as I get. I've tried multiple discs, CD's and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by sethholtz, Jan 15, 2022.

1. sethholtz Win User

This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus

I've been trying to use an external CD/DVD drive to play some old harry potter games and this is as far as I get. I've tried multiple discs, CD's and DVD's respectively, and nothing. I've updated the drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled them. My system is up to date too. I even tried doing a virus scan and that didn't work either. At this point I'm at a loss.

:)

sethholtz, Jan 15, 2022
  2. PaulPChou Win User

This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus. Please reinstall it.

I got this error message: This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus. Please reinstall it. I fixed it before but forgot how I did it. Any ideas? I did uninstall the program and reinstalled it but same issue. I
    did scan for bad sector.

PaulPChou, Jan 15, 2022
  3. HDD Bad Sector

Hi Nataniel!

I am not sure what your question is exactly, but one thing I'd recommend for sure will be to look for a replacement drive since there is already a bad sector on your current one.

Basically there are two kinds of bad sectors - hardware and software:

• Hardware ones are caused by physical damage or becoming magnetically fixed, and they are unrepairable. In short, once they appear it's only a matter of time (no way to say how long) until the HDD fails.
    • Software bad sectors on the other hand occur when something called an Error Correction Code (ECC) doesn't match the contents of the hard drive. These can be repaired by overwriting the data on the drive with zeroes (a.k.a. low level formatting) and sometimes
      by running a **chkdsk [write the letter of the drive:] /r** in the CMD.

As for getting the information from the drive if one of the partitions fail, most likely you won't be able to, which is why I'd suggest to make a regular backup of your most important data.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

MightyMiro_WD, Jan 15, 2022
  4. This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus

This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus. Please reinstall it.

You an also perform a Scandisk to check for HDD Bad Sectors by following this Guide from a website.

How to fix bad sectors in Windows 10/11

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised
    on the site before you decide to download and install it.

Paul_Mykel, Jan 15, 2022
Thema:

This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus

1. This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus - Similar Threads - program has been

2. This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus: I've been trying to use an external CD/DVD drive to play some old harry potter games and this is as far as I get. I've tried multiple discs, CD's and DVD's respectively, and nothing. I've updated the drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled them. My system is up to date too. I...
  3. This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus: I've been trying to use an external CD/DVD drive to play some old harry potter games and this is as far as I get. I've tried multiple discs, CD's and DVD's respectively, and nothing. I've updated the drivers, uninstalled and reinstalled them. My system is up to date too. I...
  4. This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus

6. This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Hard drive, bad sectors

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hard drive, bad sectors: I have a HDD that has bad sectors. I plan to buy SSD to replace it. But can I still use that HDD to install games? I only plan to put the operating system in the SSD, or do you have any tips that will help to fix those bad sectors aside form chkdsk /f /r /x C: also, here is...
  8. This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus....

This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus....: I got this error message: This program has been damaged, possibly by a bad sector of the hard drive or a virus. Please reinstall it. I fixed it before but forgot how I did it. Any ideas? I did uninstall the program and reinstalled it but same issue. I did scan for bad sector....
  9. Will Resetting Windows Avoid Bad Sectors on Hard Drive

Will Resetting Windows Avoid Bad Sectors on Hard Drive: I have an Acer laptop that has started acting weird (stops responding for a minute, then catching up, working fine for 3-4 minutes, then stopping again). I did a surface test and found 11 bad sectors on the hard drive. I have run multiple 'sfc /scannow' and 'chkdsk c: /r'....
  10. External Hard Driver Bad Sectors

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    External Hard Driver Bad Sectors: Hi I have a 2T Silicon Power A85 Hard drive. after 2 years my hard is not running well. the hard runs very slowly and stops every time. sometimes copy the information in 120 MB/s and sometimes in just few Kb. Hard disk Sentinel App shows a lot of bad sectors and just 4%...