Windows 10: This user can't sign in because account is currently disabled. (wrong)

Discus and support This user can't sign in because account is currently disabled. (wrong) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a Synology share "\\storage" that I can't access with a particular domain user account "Dennis" from a particular workstation "YYZ" running a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by tlinn, Jan 10, 2020.

1. tlinn Win User

This user can't sign in because account is currently disabled. (wrong)

I have a Synology share "\\storage" that I can't access with a particular domain user account "Dennis" from a particular workstation "YYZ" running a brand new, clean install of Win10 Pro 1909. I get a message that says: "This user can't sign in because this account is currently disabled." Dennis is in the administrator group and I've confirmed that his account is not disabled. Dennis (the person) does not have a local account on this machine.

I can access \\storage from YYZ when logged in as domain administrator. And Dennis can access \\storage just fine from a different workstation. It is only the combination of Dennis trying to access \\storage on YYZ that seems to be a problem.

I get no dialog box asking for a Synology user name and password prior to the error dialog. And, when logged in as Dennis, there is no existing entry for this share in Credentials Manager that needs to be deleted or updated. To make things even weirder, Dennis can successfully access other shares, including other Synology shares (on different hardware), from YYZ.

Bonus FYI: Dennis (the person) is moving from an old Win 7 Pro workstation to this new Win 10 Pro 1909 workstation. In September 2019, he changed his password on his old Win 7 Pro workstation and has used that password without issue ever since. When I set up the new workstation and tried to add the Dennis user account, I kept getting an error that the username or password was wrong. (It wasn't.) It finally occurred to me to try his previous password and the old password is what the domain controller wanted. I then changed the password from the old to the new on this new workstation. I don't understand this weirdness and I'm not sure it is related since other shares are accessible but I mention it nevertheless.

Thanks in advance to anyone that might have any insights.

:)

tlinn, Jan 10, 2020
  2. Rose W Win User

Your Microsoft account needs you to sign in again-recent credentials

Yes the correct or current info is in the Settings/Accounts/Your email and accounts.
    The steps in the tutorial included signing in after deleting a listing. I couldn't see where that was relevant since its a second listing. It looks like I have to voluntarily do the 'sign in' so I can avoid doing that. I'm locked out for 30 days anyway.
    Perhaps its time to set up a stand alone user account in that laptop <grin> Too nerve wracking dealing with this MSAccount.

Rose W, Jan 10, 2020
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Issue with signing in to the User Account, error message "wrong password".

Hi Brian,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that you have an issue with signing in to the User Account. I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, let me know if you are facing issue while signing in to Microsoft Account?

This issue could have occurred due to incorrect Microsoft Account Settings.

If you are facing issue while signing in to Microsoft Account, try the steps listed here:

Method 1:

I suggest you to sign in to your Microsoft Account directly using web and check if you face any issues.

How do I sign in to my Microsoft account?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-live/sign-in-how

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to refer the article and reset the Microsoft Account password. Check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-live/account-reset-password-forgot-faq

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Jan 10, 2020
  4. This user can't sign in because account is currently disabled. (wrong)

Microsoft account Sign in option under user account is not working

Hi NAvneet.

Many thanks for your help. But this didn't work.

Should I try the below procedure. Someone has suggested this method to similar query in other thread. Pls suggest:

Please follow the steps to enable the build in administrator and check if it helps:

• Use the power button on the sign-in screen to Shift+Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu.
    • Click Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Startup settings. When given the choice of startup options, try booting the PC in
      Safe Mode with Command Prompt. If you can’t get there, skip to the next major step.
      • If you can get to a CMD window, enable the built-in administrator account:

net user administrator /active:yes
      • Then restart and sign-in as the Administrator account.
      • Once in the Administrator account, open Regedit
        and go to the following key:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities
      • Save a backup of the key: Export the StoredIdentities key to a .REG file on the desktop.
      • Then continue with step 4 below.
    • Use boot media to access the recovery command prompt.
      • Start Regedit.
      • Select the HKEY_USERS key.
      • Click File, Load Hive. and go up in the file system to This PC. Then browse to this file and then click Open:

C:\Windows\System32\config\DEFAULT
      • When prompted, name it “def”
      • Select this key:

HKEY_USERS\def\Software\Microsoft\IdentityCRL\StoredIdentities
      • Save a backup of the key: Export the StoredIdentities key to a .REG file on the C:\ drive.
    • Find the subkey under StoredIdentities that matches the name of the Microsoft Account.
    • Delete the key.
    • If you loaded the offline registry hive, go back up in the tree on the left and select “def”. Then click File,
      Unload hive. This option will only be available if “def” is selected.
    • Restart the PC and test sign-in.
    • Once done, you may need to Verify the account in Settings, Accounts in order for it to be fully usable in Windows again.
    • If you used the built-in Administrator account to resolve the issue, please return it to the default disabled state to help keep the Computer secure. To do so follow the steps:
      net user administrator /active:no
    Please create a new administrator account using the Microsoft Account and check.

Shobhitjain2005, Jan 10, 2020
Thema:

This user can't sign in because account is currently disabled. (wrong)

1. This user can't sign in because account is currently disabled. (wrong) - Similar Threads - user can't sign

2. getting error "This user can't sign in because this accoutn is currently disabled" when...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    getting error "This user can't sign in because this accoutn is currently disabled" when...: Recently did a fresh install of windows and backed up all my files to my personal nas before doing so, but when I was done and tried to access the files, i keep getting this error Stating "nas name here is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network...
  3. getting error "This user can't sign in because this accoutn is currently disabled" when...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    getting error "This user can't sign in because this accoutn is currently disabled" when...: Recently did a fresh install of windows and backed up all my files to my personal nas before doing so, but when I was done and tried to access the files, i keep getting this error Stating "nas name here is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network...
  4. getting error "This user can't sign in because this accoutn is currently disabled" when...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Why does it say "This User cant sign in because this account is currently disabled

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does it say "This User cant sign in because this account is currently disabled: i am stuck on a screen when i open my computer saying "This user cant sign in because this account is currently disabled" and when i click ok It takes me to defaultuser0 with a password i dont knowPlease help me outThe computer i use is lenovo thinkpad...
  6. Why does it say "This User cant sign in because this account is currently disabled

Why does it say "This User cant sign in because this account is currently disabled: i am stuck on a screen when i open my computer saying "This user cant sign in because this account is currently disabled" and when i click ok It takes me to defaultuser0 with a password i dont knowPlease help me outThe computer i use is lenovo thinkpad...
  7. Why does it say "This User cant sign in because this account is currently disabled

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
  8. Wrong syntax in net user /delete? I can't seem to delete a net user and disable sign in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong syntax in net user /delete? I can't seem to delete a net user and disable sign in...: I've been trying to delete this user on my PC. I recently got thi "Other User" profile at sign in start up which I don't remember doing. I have tried looking for it through netplwiz but there's nothing there but my own profile. So i tried running cmd prompt through admin and...
  9. Wrong syntax in net user /delete? I can't seem to delete a net user and disable sign in...

Wrong syntax in net user /delete? I can't seem to delete a net user and disable sign in...: I've been trying to delete this user on my PC. I recently got thi "Other User" profile at sign in start up which I don't remember doing. I have tried looking for it through netplwiz but there's nothing there but my own profile. So i tried running cmd prompt through admin and...
  10. Can't sign in with a microsoft account because of wrong windows password

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't sign in with a microsoft account because of wrong windows password: Hi there, I had been using a 'local' account in my laptop and because using a Microsoft account is easier with a windows laptop I thought of switching to it, but I cannot "sign in with a microsoft account instead" because it asks the current windows password and I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. this user cant sign in because this account

2. thia user cant sign in because this qkun curently disable

3. this user cant sign in because this account is currently disabled when logging in admin account

4. Mapping computer this user cant sign in because this account,
  5. Windows 10 user cant sign in because the account is currently disabled,
  6. thos user cant sign in because,
  7. this user cant sign in because,
  8. windows server this user cant sign in because this account is currently disabled,
  9. this user cant sign in because this account is currently disabled