Windows 10: This week's updates changed my PIN to my Windows password

Discus and support This week's updates changed my PIN to my Windows password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; This is my personal one-user PC. Upon booting, I usually enter a 4 digit PIN. This week's updates changed my PIN to my Windows password, the same one I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by RknRusty, Mar 15, 2017.

1. RknRusty Win User

This week's updates changed my PIN to my Windows password

This is my personal one-user PC. Upon booting, I usually enter a 4 digit PIN. This week's updates changed my PIN to my Windows password, the same one I use for live.com. I want to change it back, but am wary, as I've been confused with Windows passwords before.

I just want someone here to confirm that if I use the PIN change shown in the picture, I am only affecting my device-specific PIN, and not anything else.

Also, why would the update have changed my PIN anyway?
    Thanks,
    Rusty

This week's updates changed my PIN to my Windows password [​IMG]

:)

RknRusty, Mar 15, 2017
  2. DimplesRW Win User

Windows 10 Anniversary Update

I updated my Windows 10 with the Anniversary Update. After the update was downloaded, my login screen appeared. I entered my pin # as I did many times to the original Windows 10 and it kept telling me this was not a valid number. Then I choose other
    options and entered my Microsoft password ( I had changed the password about a week or so ago) and it to gave me the same response that it was not a valid password. Then I entered my old Microsoft Password and it worked. How can I reinstate my pin # and
    newer password? Thank you

DimplesRW, Mar 15, 2017
  3. Why Can't I login with my pin

My problem is, i can't sign in with my pin. I'm using pin for my login and not my microsoft password for any situation. i’ve got an update last week since now i can’t login with my pin, if i try so,
    it is showing me that your device is offline and sign in with the last password used. i’ve tried everything changing my pin, removing and adding it again, and so many. but, still its showing the same. But, i can login into my lap with my microsoft password
    without any issue. Kindly suggest me a solution for this as i feel using pin for my sign in is very easy comparing with microsoft password.

BalaSubramaniyan13, Mar 15, 2017
  4. Kari Win User

First, are you sure your PIN sign-in was disabled? Sometimes, especially after an upgrade Windows just resets the default sign-in method, switching back to Password sign in instead of PIN sign-in.

In this case although Windows is asking for your password, it also shows a link for Sign-in options:

Clicking that link you can switch back to PIN sign-in:

Anyway, that being said, a PIN is only for that machine and has nothing to do with your Microsoft account nor does it change anything in your Microsoft account. Just enter your old PIN, set new one and you are done.

Totally safe!

5. Plankton Win User
    Hey Kari; I don't have any of those options on the sign in/log in screen.

Plankton, Mar 15, 2017
  6. Kari Win User
    If you have both password and a PIN set correctly, your login screen always shows the Sign-in options link (first screenshot in my previous post).

Clicking that link let's you then choose either Password sign-in or PIN sign in (second screenshot in my previous post).

Always.

7. Plankton Win User
    Ahh...I don't use both. I just use the password.

Plankton, Mar 15, 2017
  8. Kari Win User

This is not rocket science: If you only use one sign-in method, the Password method, you naturally have no options to choose, therefore you don't have any sign-in options. Link is not shown because there's nothing to choose.

9. Plankton Win User
    Damn.....slow your roll.....I didn't know. I've only ever used a password to log in. So I never knew there was this screen. Sorry I freaking asked!

Plankton, Mar 15, 2017
  10. RknRusty Win User
    Dang, this thread went zero to 100 in a short time Lol.

Thanks, Kari. I don't remember if showed sign-in options. It's entirely possible I missed it. I was in a hurry when it happened, and there was a red message after my first failed attempt that said to use my same password that I use for live.com. So I did and it worked. But I'd rather use the PIN since my wife knows it.
    Now that you've assured me that the PIN is device-specific and not affecting my Wwindows account, I will change it back.
    Thanks,
    Rusty

RknRusty, Mar 15, 2017
  11. RknRusty Win User
    Okay, I'm back after rebooting.

DUH! Yes, it does give me the choice of PIN or PW. So I didn't need to change anything.
    Thanks again, Kari.

I have a Finnish acquaintance on another forum named Kari.

See y'all next time I have a problem,
    Rusty

RknRusty, Mar 15, 2017
  12. Berton Win User
    Look under Kari's picture on the left and you'll find this clickable item:
    A Finnish ex-pat in Germany
    My roots are German back to 1848, name found in church records back to 1670, still have "old world" family in Mannheim.

Berton, Mar 15, 2017
  13. RknRusty Win User

Hi, Berton, me too, but from the British isles at the time of the Mayflower expedition and others. Before that, I do not recall where, but dating back to 1060 or so on my mother's side. So I guess I'm part Pilgrim, though I don't act the part Lol.
    Rusty

RknRusty, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. This week's updates changed my PIN to my Windows password - Similar Threads - week's updates changed

2. After updating my laptop, my password changed to a pin.

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    After updating my laptop, my password changed to a pin.: Hi my name is Emma. I was about to shut down my laptop but saw the option to update and shut down, so I did that. When I went back on my laptop, instead of enter “password” there was enter “pin”. I never made a pin and I don’t know my pin. I saw that I could choose “Sign in...
  3. After updating my laptop, my password changed to a pin.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    After updating my laptop, my password changed to a pin.: Hi my name is Emma. I was about to shut down my laptop but saw the option to update and shut down, so I did that. When I went back on my laptop, instead of enter “password” there was enter “pin”. I never made a pin and I don’t know my pin. I saw that I could choose “Sign in...
  4. After updating my laptop, my password changed to a pin.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Update chnaged my password to a PIN

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update chnaged my password to a PIN: I had my technical support do a deep clean and then update Windows 10. I am the administrator and when I try to sign into windows, the update changed my password to a pin . When I try to reset through Microsoft it says there is an error after accepting the security code...
  6. Windows now forcing me to change my password once a week?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows now forcing me to change my password once a week?: Last week, I was prompted to change my Windows password. I did. This morning, I was prompted again to change my password. (I did.) Is this a thing now? Is there a way to change the frequency of this? submitted by /u/znoone [link] [comments]...
  7. Last update changed password to pin

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Last update changed password to pin: The last update changed my password to a pin and I don’t remember setting up my pin. submitted by /u/scruffy-the-janitor1 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/meuvpg/last_update_changed_password_to_pin/
  8. Why is Microsoft making me change my password almost WEEKLY??

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Why is Microsoft making me change my password almost WEEKLY??: My computer prompts me to change my password every 7 to 10 days or so lately. Why is this happening, and how do I make it stop! 72 days would be reasonable, but this is not. I am running Windows 10, Home Version....
  9. Why do I need to change my password &/or pin every 2/3 weeks!?

Why do I need to change my password &/or pin every 2/3 weeks!?: I keep being asked to change my password/pin every 2/3 weeks. But only on my laptop! it does not do it on any other device and it is very frustrating. I also cant use the same password I have used before, which I get, but I haven't used the old passwords in years! It states...
  10. Cannot change my sign in password to pin

Cannot change my sign in password to pin: Hi, please help me. I always signed in with a pin, but now I have to sign in with my password, and I cant change the sign in options to a pin. I have tried the steps you say, but with no success at all and Im now totally fed up with trying to change to pin. Please help...