Windows 10: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER atikmdag.sys randomly on moderate load

Discus and support THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER atikmdag.sys randomly on moderate load in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi there, I have been getting this BSOD for my newly built PC that I built last month. Things that I have tried: Fully updated Windows Tried both... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by noersetiawan, May 21, 2020.

1. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER atikmdag.sys randomly on moderate load

Hi there,

I have been getting this BSOD for my newly built PC that I built last month.

Things that I have tried:
    1. Fully updated Windows
    2. Tried both AMD Adrenalin 20.4.2 and 20.2.2, with DDU in safe mode between each try
    3. Run MemTest86, all 4 passes passed with no error
    4. Enabled/disabled FreeSync both in monitor and in Adrenalin settings
    5. Enabled/disabled XMP profile
    6. Got advices to update my motherboard BIOS, but it is already P3.70 out of the box and AFAIK it is the latest version
    7. Installed AMD Chipset driver for B450 motherboard

First time I got the BSOD is when I'm playing a rather heavy games, but recently it's been happening even during moderately heavy load, like 10+ Chrome tabs, 2D drafting in AutoCAD, or even just by opening Steam, not even starting any game, but it never happened during light load situation like working with Office documents and file explorer only.

At very rare chance I could play the heavy games for 8+ hours without encountering any BSOD or even any sluggishness (which usually happen 5-6 seconds before BSOD). But most of the time, if I encountered the BSOD and rebooted using the reset button, it is guaranteed that I will either get the BSOD again if I open any game, even light ones like Dota 2, or the PC simply freezes and monitor displays 'no signal'. The subsequent restart would randomly puts me in one of these 2 situations, BSOD or freezes. At this point I usually just get frustated and not using my PC again until the next day (this PC is mostly for games, I have a laptop for work).

During games I usually run MSI afterburner to display GPU and CPU temperature, and none exceed 65C even after 8+ hours of heavy gaming. Most of times, the BSOD or freeze still do happens just after I launched the game, while the temperature are still below 55C.

I already filled system specs in profile and attached V2 Log collector result. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Windows 10 Version Number is 18363.836

:)

noersetiawan, May 21, 2020

2. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER atikmdag.sys randomly on moderate load

I see.. I suspected as much it's about AMD graphic driver.

Windows Update says it is fully updated, just checked.

Temperatures leveled out after a few minutes, but I ran each test 15 minutes anyway, one after another immediately, without restart. Here are the results:
    1. CPU OCCT

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER atikmdag.sys randomly on moderate load [​IMG]

2. CPU LINPACK

3. GPU 3D
    I couldn't do this test at all, tried it four times. 3 seconds into it then my PC automatically restarted. It is different than when in game though, in game the PC either freezes then no display, or BSOD, but this test put the PC to restart.
    4. GPU Memtest

5. Power Supply

I don't think this is related, that post is for Ryzen mobile processor and is a different model and generation than mine.

Will do them tomorrow, gotta leave for work now.

- - - Updated - - -

I understand. Will comply ASAP.

noersetiawan, May 22, 2020
  3. Atikmdag sys???

Just got a custom built computer from cyber power pc and within two hours got a Blue screen of death with Atikmdag sys. What the hell does that mean and how can I fix it?

forrestcastleberry, May 22, 2020
  4. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER atikmdag.sys randomly on moderate load

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER atikmdag.sys randomly on moderate load

Hi there,

I have been getting this BSOD for my newly built PC that I built last month.

Things that I have tried:
    1. Fully updated Windows
    2. Tried both AMD Adrenalin 20.4.2 and 20.2.2, with DDU in safe mode between each try
    3. Run MemTest86, all 4 passes passed with no error
    4. Enabled/disabled FreeSync both in monitor and in Adrenalin settings
    5. Enabled/disabled XMP profile
    6. Got advices to update my motherboard BIOS, but it is already P3.70 out of the box and AFAIK it is the latest version
    7. Installed AMD Chipset driver for B450 motherboard

First time I got the BSOD is when I'm playing a rather heavy games, but recently it's been happening even during moderately heavy load, like 10+ Chrome tabs, 2D drafting in AutoCAD, or even just by opening Steam, not even starting any game, but it never happened during light load situation like working with Office documents and file explorer only.

At very rare chance I could play the heavy games for 8+ hours without encountering any BSOD or even any sluggishness (which usually happen 5-6 seconds before BSOD). But most of the time, if I encountered the BSOD and rebooted using the reset button, it is guaranteed that I will either get the BSOD again if I open any game, even light ones like Dota 2, or the PC simply freezes and monitor displays 'no signal'. The subsequent restart would randomly puts me in one of these 2 situations, BSOD or freezes. At this point I usually just get frustated and not using my PC again until the next day (this PC is mostly for games, I have a laptop for work).

During games I usually run MSI afterburner to display GPU and CPU temperature, and none exceed 65C even after 8+ hours of heavy gaming. Most of times, the BSOD or freeze still do happens just after I launched the game, while the temperature are still below 55C.

I already filled system specs in profile and attached V2 Log collector result. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Windows 10 Version Number is 18363.836

noersetiawan, May 22, 2020
Thema:

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER atikmdag.sys randomly on moderate load

1. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER atikmdag.sys randomly on moderate load - Similar Threads - THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER atikmdag sys

2. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR when system is in moderate load

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR when system is in moderate load: So I recently rebuilt my PC and swapped out essentially everything but the GPU - ever since, however, I am now getting WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR anywhere from 1-5 minutes of playing games that aren't actually demanding. Current specs are as follows: CPU: Ryzen 7 5800XGPU:...
  3. WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR when system is in moderate load

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR when system is in moderate load: So I recently rebuilt my PC and swapped out essentially everything but the GPU - ever since, however, I am now getting WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR anywhere from 1-5 minutes of playing games that aren't actually demanding. Current specs are as follows: CPU: Ryzen 7 5800XGPU:...
  4. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER: Good day sir/mam when im playing games my pc turn into Blue Screen and it said THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER my drivers is updated especially the graphics card built in to my CPU ryzen 3 3200g with vega 8 help me to fix this......
  5. Iconsistent THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Iconsistent THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD: The Problem: I have an Acer Aspire A515-41G-13U1 an awful laptop that I bought a little over a year ago. It's always had problems with blue screens from removing the charger cable to just playing a game and I have never managed to solve them, not even after sending it to...
  6. How to fix random Blue Screens with stopcode: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to fix random Blue Screens with stopcode: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER: Hi. I built a new PC a few days ago, and I've been getting random Blue Screens all with the same stopcode: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER. It's brand new, Windows was installed on it a couple of days ago, so I'm not sure what's causing it. I searched around and apparently it's...
  7. Bsod - thread_stuck_in_device_driver

Bsod - thread_stuck_in_device_driver: It's been a while since I've posted to the forums, where fortunately I haven't had issues with my old build. Unfortunately, on this Ryzen 5 build (Windows 10, Version 1909, OS Build 18363.752), we've been getting a lot of Windows 10 freezing, along with too many too count...
  8. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER on Startup

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER on Startup: Lately I had a bluescreen on startup. It shows THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error, and keep showing bluescreen over 3 times, until it enters automatic repair. And when i'm boot on safe mode, it goes normal. My Specs: Lenovo G40-70 RAM : 6GB DDR3 CPU : Intel Core i3-4030u...
  9. Thread_stuck_in_device_driver

Thread_stuck_in_device_driver: Hello, I've been trying to solve this issue for a whole week, and no progress at all. I first noticed this problem when I put my PC to sleep, and on the wake up, I would get BSOD (THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER). Same thing happened when I would make shutdown from windows,...
  10. PC randomly restarts, goes into "coma" THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

PC randomly restarts, goes into "coma" THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER: PC Specs: i7-3770k 16GB RAM (8GB @ 1600, 8GB @ 2400 --> both set to run @ 1600 in BIOS) AMD 7950 3GB Sabertooth Z77 2 SSDs + multiple HDDs EVGA 850w PSU If I leave my PC idle for about 15 minutes, I'll hear the motherboard-beep, meaning it's restarted, and then...