Windows 10: THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER in Windows 10 using AMD driver

Discus and support THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER in Windows 10 using AMD driver in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; A few months ago I have purchased an Asus TUF Gaming FX505DT_FX505DT and have it installed with a Windows 10 Pro system. Ever since I had this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by alexb_88, Aug 28, 2020.

1. alexb_88 Win User

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER in Windows 10 using AMD driver

A few months ago I have purchased an Asus TUF Gaming FX505DT_FX505DT and have it installed with a Windows 10 Pro system. Ever since I had this recurring freeze. By freeze I mean complete freeze. The sound freezes into a buzzing, the screen, the keyboard, anything. Only remaining option is to shut it down by long pressing the button.

Usually, these freezes happen when I have a browser open and/or VLC playing some video. It never happens when playing games, which probably use the nVidia chipset NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 instead of the integrated AMD AMD RadeonTM RX Vega 10 Graphics one. I have also noticed that it might happen only when I move the mouse around. At least it never happened when I was just watching a movie or just letting it do its thing without sending any input. Every time it happened I was moving the mouse and it just got stuck. Then the sound and screen, then the BSOD.

Today, for the first time, these freezes have started to end in a BSOD with error THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER. They have also generated a dump file. Thinking that it was the driver, I went to the official AMD site and downloaded and installed the last driver: Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.8.3 Optional.

Shortly after that I got another BSOD. So, right now I have two dump files. One with the driver that Windows installs by itself and another for the driver downloaded from AMD.

DUMP from Windows driver

082820-7578-01.dmp 28.08.2020 18:35:02 THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER 0x100000ea ffffb585`1fcd30c0 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 atikmdag.sys atikmdag.sys+10b327 x64 ntoskrnl.exe+1c23c0 C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\082820-7578-01.dmp 8 15 18362 1.977.588 28.08.2020 18:36:4

DUMP from AMD driver

082920-7703-01.dmp 29.08.2020 01:39:15 THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER0x100000ea ffff9b83`dba75040 00000000`0000000000000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 amdkmdag.sysamdkmdag.sys+1a1eeb x64 ntoskrnl.exe+1c23c0C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\082920-7703-01.dmp 8 1518362 2.052.756 29.08.2020 01:42:25

I can upload the files somewhere, if necessary. So far this is what I have and I don

:)

alexb_88, Aug 28, 2020

2. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER - Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

• Do let us know if the issue is confined only while accessing the game?

The THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER bug indicates that a thread in a device driver is endlessly spinning. A device driver is spinning in an infinite loop, most likely waiting for hardware to become idle. This usually indicates problem with the hardware itself,
    or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Frequently, this is the result of a bad video card or a bad display driver.

I suggest you to follow the below steps.

Update the display driver

Steps to update the drivers for the Display Adapter.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Display Adapter.
    • Right click on the
      Display Adapter
      and click on Update Driver Software.

Refer to the below article by Andre Da Costa to install the drivers manually on your device.

How to: Install and Update drivers in Windows 10

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue for further assistance.

Mohammed AliAli, Aug 28, 2020
  3. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER (atikmdag.sys+b82e7, dxgkrnl.sys+3111f)

Hi 22pises,

The THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error means that the device driver is spinning in an infinite loop, most likely waiting for

hardware to become idle. This usually indicates problem with the hardware itself or with the device driver programming the hardware incorrectly. Lets try troubleshooting the issue by following the suggestions below:

Suggestion 1: Troubleshoot blue screen errors

Suggestion 2: Uninstalling and Installing the latest Video card driver.

1. Uninstall the existing AMD software and drivers using AMD Uninstall Utility.
    2. Delete all the AMD folders in your C: Drive.
    3. Restart your computer.
    4. Download the latest video card driver from AMD support website.
    5. Install the software and driver.
    6. Restart your computer.

Suggestion 3: Update your Motherboard's BIOS to the latest version and use the optimal settings.

Suggestion 4: Install suggested security and cumulative
    Windows updates

Update us with the results.

Gemzon Mar, Aug 28, 2020
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

SSD samsung evo and amd drivers

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

The issue could be because of the AMD drivers installed on the computer.

Since the Samsung SSD is working fine with the Microsoft AHCI driver, I suggest you to update the AMD driver and check if that helps. To update the AMD drivers follow the steps from the article

Update drivers in Windows 10

If updating the drivers didn’t help, I suggest you to roll back the driver to previous build and check if that helps. To roll back the driver to previous build follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press and hold the Windows + X key on the keyboard.
    2. Select Device manager.
    3. In Device manager, expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers.
    4. Right click on AMD SATA Controller and select
      Properties.
    5. Navigate to the Driver tab and click on Roll Back Driver.
    6. Restart the computer.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Aug 28, 2020
Thema:

1. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER in Windows 10 using AMD driver - Similar Threads - THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER using AMD

2. Windows 10 THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD problem: Hi Everyone, I have experienced the THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD problem on my computer these days. And I have tried everything online to repair it, like update the drivers for all the devices. May I know if I can get any help from here? Here is the link to the...
  3. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER

in Windows 10 Gaming
    THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER: Good day sir/mam when im playing games my pc turn into Blue Screen and it said THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER my drivers is updated especially the graphics card built in to my CPU ryzen 3 3200g with vega 8 help me to fix this......
  4. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER windows 10

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER windows 10: Ik krijg steeds de melding thread stuck in device, heb nu zelf alles geprobeerd maar niks helpt.Zal minidump info hier onder zetten. Dump File : 081320-6062-01.dmp Crash Time : 13-8-2020 11:06:27 Bug Check String : THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER Bug Check...
  5. Iconsistent THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD

Iconsistent THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD: The Problem: I have an Acer Aspire A515-41G-13U1 an awful laptop that I bought a little over a year ago. It's always had problems with blue screens from removing the charger cable to just playing a game and I have never managed to solve them, not even after sending it to...
  6. Bsod - thread_stuck_in_device_driver

Bsod - thread_stuck_in_device_driver: It's been a while since I've posted to the forums, where fortunately I haven't had issues with my old build. Unfortunately, on this Ryzen 5 build (Windows 10, Version 1909, OS Build 18363.752), we've been getting a lot of Windows 10 freezing, along with too many too count...
  7. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER on Startup

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER on Startup: Lately I had a bluescreen on startup. It shows THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER error, and keep showing bluescreen over 3 times, until it enters automatic repair. And when i'm boot on safe mode, it goes normal. My Specs: Lenovo G40-70 RAM : 6GB DDR3 CPU : Intel Core i3-4030u...
  8. Thread_stuck_in_device_driver

Thread_stuck_in_device_driver: Hello, I've been trying to solve this issue for a whole week, and no progress at all. I first noticed this problem when I put my PC to sleep, and on the wake up, I would get BSOD (THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER). Same thing happened when I would make shutdown from windows,...
  9. Thread_stuck_in_device_driver bsod | amd a8-7600k

Thread_stuck_in_device_driver bsod | amd a8-7600k: Hardware Specifications: Motherboard: MSI A78-E35 V2 Processor: AMD A8-7600K (overclocked to 3.8GHz) Memory: Kingston HyperX FURY 8GB DDR3 1866MHz Graphics: AMD Radeon R7 APU (dedicated graphics set to 2GB) Operating System: Windows® 10 Pro 64-bit Storage: WD Blue 2.0TB HDD,...
  10. THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD on Windows 10 with AMD A10-7800

THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER BSOD on Windows 10 with AMD A10-7800: Every so often (especially when I have a game and a web-browser open simultaneously) my computer will BSOD, into THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE_DRIVER. As far as I recall this only started happening after updating my AMD driver to the Crimson edition thing, but after reverting it and...