Windows 10: Threads on Pro's & Con's re: Upgrading to Windows 10

Discus and support Threads on Pro's & Con's re: Upgrading to Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Can anyone point me to a good thread covering the pro's and con's of upgrading to Windows 10? I've hesitated on posting this question, because I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by thricipio, Jul 17, 2016.

1. thricipio Win User

Threads on Pro's & Con's re: Upgrading to Windows 10

Can anyone point me to a good thread covering the pro's and con's of upgrading to Windows 10?

I've hesitated on posting this question, because I recognize and appreciate that the seven-&-ten forums are rightfully focused on more technically specific how-to questions, etc. However, the clock is ticking and I guess I need to make a decision soon if I don't want to miss out on the free upgrade.

The context of my question is this:
    • I'm running Win7 64-bit Pro on a good laptop — without a touch screen, so touch support is a non-issue;
    • I'm kind of picky about being able to customize the appearance of the UI and although I've only had very limited opportunity to explore Win10's UI, I have a preliminary impression that it's not as customizable as Win7. Specifically, I couldn't find how to customize things like: Icon (size & font attributes) and Icon Spacing (horizontal & vertical);
    • I'm not a big fan of the newer start menu — particularly the expanded tiles section.

On the other hand, I've gotten the impression that a lot of the base code has been rewritten to be more efficient, with a significantly smaller footprint and improved security.

Back on the first hand . . . I've been more than happy with Win7 and staying put dovetails nicely with my belief that the old adage, “If it ain't broke, don't fix it” is often the wisest course to follow. But then again, upgrading at some point in time is probably inevitable. But if that doesn't have to happen anytime soon, perhaps it's something I should put off. By the way, I heard that Microsoft has stated it will continue to support Win7 through the year, 2023. Does anyone know, is that accurate?

Again, I hope I haven't tried anyone's patience by posting this here and if I have, then my apologies. Basically, I'm just trying to gather information to assist me in making an informed decision.

Okay, then . . . thanks.
    —Thri

:)

thricipio, Jul 17, 2016
  2. DanSchell Win User

Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro

I would like to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro from Windows 8.1.

Should I upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 8.1 Pro first then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

or

Should I upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 then upgrade to Windows 10 Pro?

Pro's and Con's of each route?

Thanks

DanSchell, Jul 17, 2016
  3. Upgrade from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 Pro

yes

UNITEDNATIONS HOLDINGS, Jul 17, 2016
  4. ARC1020 Win User

You kinda already answered your own question. Windows 7 is already out of mainstream support (mainstream support ended 18 months ago on 13 January 2015). Extended support finishes on 14 January 2020, which is only 3.5 years away. So pretty much as you said, you're only delaying the inevitable.

Personally I'd just bite the bullet, however at the very least I'd upgrade to Windows 10 whilst it's still free. That way you will have options, even if for some reason you decide to go back to using Windows 7 a bit longer.

Windows lifecycle fact sheet:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...cle-fact-sheet

Threads on Pro's & Con's re: Upgrading to Windows 10 [​IMG]

ARC1020, Jul 17, 2016
  5. thricipio Win User
    ARC…, thanks for the info and feedback. I think one of the pop-up upgrade blurbs said something about having 30 days to regress back to my current version (win7). I've wondered what would happen if I cloned my boot drive, upgraded on one of them, and then, if I decided to regress back to w7, just swap in the w7 drive. If I were to take this approach would the w7 drive work okay after I swap it back in? And what about the w10 drive — I assume it would not work if I were to boot it up again after the thirty-day period. Does that sound right to you?

In any case, thanks again for your help.
    —Thri

thricipio, Jul 17, 2016
  6. dsherman Win User
    Both would work taking one drive replacing with the 7 or 10 drive. There would be significant lag most likely in the event of switching depending on the amount of time since it's been in use as it downloads updates.

dsherman, Jul 17, 2016
  7. thricipio Win User
    Thanks, dsherman.

Are you saying both drives would work . . . more or less indefinitely?

The scenario I'm envisioning is one in in which I do the cloning & swapping mentioned above and then put the w10 drive on a shelf for later use. In the interim, I would continue using w7 on my laptop and in parallel, I would — this is something I've been thinking about doing anyway — purchase a new desktop computer with Win10 Pro installed. Later on, after I've become familiar enough with Win10 (on my desktop PC), I would swap the w10 drive back into my laptop.

Would the above strategy work?

Thanks again for you help. Much appreciated.
    —Thri

thricipio, Jul 17, 2016
  8. dsherman Win User

Yes it will work with just the one drive installed be it either the 7 or 10.

dsherman, Jul 17, 2016
  9. thricipio Win User
    Whoah! That's great!

On another (but related) note . . . any thoughts on who makes a good Solid State Drive (SSD) ?

Thanks again for your help, dsherman.
    —Thri

thricipio, Jul 17, 2016
  10. Mystere Win User
    Technically, you're supposed to delete one OS if you use the other. In other words, if you install WIndows 10, it deletes your Windows 7 as part of the upgrade (although it creates a backup which you are allowed, that can be used to restore it... erasing Windows 10 if you do).

Keeping a second fully installed copy is a gray area, and i'm not sure what MS would say.

Having said that, Windows 10 keeps a backup for 30 days, after which time it deletes the backup, so you would no longer be able to restore from that. MS does not invalidate your old key or anything like that, so you are free to re-install Windows 7, you just can't have both 'installed' at the same time.

Regarding things like Icon size, this is simple to change. Just Ctrl-Mouse-Wheel on the desktop. The icon text can be set in the advanced text size settings. I'm not sure about other settings, as I don't typically set these. However, Window Blinds does work in Windows 10. There are also a multitude of Start menu replacements.

Mystere, Jul 17, 2016
  11. thricipio Win User
    Mystere—
    Thanks a bunch for elucidating — I'd say "unpacking" but the term drives me crazy — the details of how this works. This is very helpful to know.
    I'm gonna take the benefit of he doubt here and assume my strategy is kosher. The way I look at it is I won't have more than one version "on" my laptop at any given time. And I know I'm not trying to finagle a way to have two simultaneously working OS's on two different computers. The whole idea is to allow myself the wherewithal to eeeeeease my way into the transition.
    This last bit is very encouraging. I've never heard of Window Blinds, but it sounds like it's worth checking out.

Thanks again for your help. Much appreciated.
    —Thri

thricipio, Jul 17, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    A hard drive sitting on a shelf is not fully installed. In fact, it isn't installed at all.

NavyLCDR, Jul 17, 2016
  13. linw Win User

The alternative to a second hard drive is to take a full image backup of the win 7 setup.

In any event, that should be done at frequent intervals, and definitely before any OS upgrade action.

An excellent imager is Macrium Reflect Free.

Good luck with your win 10. It will never be a better price!

14. Ztruker Win User
    Rats! I didn't see your post linw, sorry. I'll leave mine anyway as it's a bit more detailed.

An alternative or addition would be to do a full image backup of the drive to an external USB Hard drive. Upgrade or clean install Windows 10 to get the free activation, then do an full image backup again to a different folder on the external hard drive then restore the Windows 7 backup.

Fully legal and gets you the free Win 10 upgrade. Your digital entitlement (aka activation) gets stored on the Microsoft activation servers forever.

After that you can restore the Win 10 image or do another upgrade or clean install of Win 10 at any time, free and clear.

Macrium Reflect Free is a good choice to do this with.

Ztruker, Jul 17, 2016
  15. linw Win User
    You can't be told to back up enough times, Z!!!

Thema:

1. Threads on Pro's & Con's re: Upgrading to Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Threads Pro's Con's

2. Re-upgrade to Windows 10 Pro after reinstallation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Re-upgrade to Windows 10 Pro after reinstallation: My laptop came with Windows 10 Home originally. I purchased a Windows 10 Pro upgrade on March 19 2020. Due to a recent Windows issue, I had to reinstall Windows and chose the Windows 10 Pro installation from the download. However, I currently have Windows 10 Home now...
  3. Re-upgrade to Windows 10 Pro after reinstallation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Re-upgrade to Windows 10 Pro after reinstallation: My laptop came with Windows 10 Home originally. I purchased a Windows 10 Pro upgrade on March 19 2020. Due to a recent Windows issue, I had to reinstall Windows and chose the Windows 10 Pro installation from the download. However, I currently have Windows 10 Home now...
  4. Re-upgrade to Windows 10 Pro after reinstallation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Re-download purchased windows 10 pro upgrade

Re-download purchased windows 10 pro upgrade: I recently purchased new Asus Vivo Book laptop, preloaded with Windows 10 Home Edition. Purchased Windows Pro upgrade. Experienced technical problems with laptop. Qualified for a new replacement. Need to download Windows 10 Pro upgrade again. I have order number/receipt...
  6. Issue with re-upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro

Issue with re-upgrading Windows 10 Home to Pro: Hi, Recently I upgraded my Windows 10 Home (digital license) to Pro via the Store with no problems. However, due to some hardware problems I ended up having to reinstall Windows Home (I could not just install Pro directly for some reason). Install went fine and I activated...
  7. Cons for Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Cons for Windows 10 Pro for Workstations: Hello, I just installed windows on a computer that had a digital licence for Windows 10 Pro for Workstations. I do not need any of the features in pro for workstations, so are there any disadvantages for windows 10 pro for workstations over windows 10 pro?...
  8. Can't re-activate windows 10 pro after hardware upgrade

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can't re-activate windows 10 pro after hardware upgrade: Hi, Hoping I can get a bit of help. I replaced my motherboard and cpu and even though I had a digital licence linked to my Microsoft account, I now can't re-activate windows. I get the error: 'Something prevented us from communicating with our activation servers. Wait a...
  9. Locked Thread Re: Downgrading Ent to Pro needs updating

Locked Thread Re: Downgrading Ent to Pro needs updating: The following locked thread should be endorsed "No valid for Enterprise LTSC" https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-do-i-downgrade-from-windows-10-enterprise-to/f0988ba9-6926-4be3-9809-0e47206b7f7d?auth=1...
  10. Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit

Re-upgrading from Windows 7 pro 64bit to Windows 10 pro 64bit: I had a activated version of Windows 7 pro 64 bit which got automatically approved for upgrade to Windows 10 pro 64 bit some months ago. The upgrade to Windows 10 took place before the free upgrade deadline. I had a boot issue with Windows 10 after I merged some unused...