Windows 10: Three computers running Windows 10 2004, serious stability issues

Discus and support Three computers running Windows 10 2004, serious stability issues in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey all, I currently have Windows 10 version 2004 (build 19041.610 to be specific) running on three different computers in the house. Two of these... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Apocalypsing, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Three computers running Windows 10 2004, serious stability issues

Hey all,

I currently have Windows 10 version 2004 (build 19041.610 to be specific) running on three different computers in the house. Two of these computers are mine, with the third being a sibling's computer.
    On my main computer, I recently reinstalled Windows 10. Previously I was running Windows 10 LTSC 2019 (aka version 1809), but since that build was getting a bit long in the tooth, and that I was missing out on some supposed benefits like Ryzen CPU scheduler fixes in newer version of Windows, I decided to ditch LTSC completely and go back to the mainstream channel that almost everyone else is using day to day.

Due to what I suspected have been hardware issues (possible, gradual motherboard failure), my main computer is currently out of commission for now, and I have had to go back to my previous, much older system. In doing so, I also ditched LTSC on my old system for 2004 as well. This reinstallation on my older system happened only just recently, on the 28th of October.
    Not even a week in, and I am already seeing serious problems when running this version of Windows. Less than an hour ago I went to shut down this older computer of mine, with the plan of bringing my newer system back onto the desk for further hardware troubleshooting, only to find my older system wasn't responding to my shut down requests. I could click on restart or shut down through the start menu and not see any response whatsoever. Even critical system shortcuts like CTRL+ALT+DELETE were not responding. I then noticed UAC prompts completely died too, so I could no longer run administrative software elevated under my separate admin account. As I was scrambling to find another safe workaround to shut the system down, suddenly I heard a bunch of system sounds, followed saw a brief error message, and less than a second later I finally saw the shutting down screen. But it remained stuck there, and I still had no choice but to reach for that power button.

Now, this isn't the first time I have experienced this in the past 24 hours, either. I recently got a refurbished Dell OptiPlex for one of my siblings who was real overdue for a complete system upgrade. I very recently ran into the exact same problem where I went to shut that system down having just finished setting up everything for them, and I soon ran into the same issues of system unresponsiveness in the start menu. I had only just booted up that sytem an hour prior to work on it, so the very short time it took for the system to crap out like this is really alarming.

On my new computer that I've suspected of having hardware problems, I have had what now appears to be the same problem too, where over time, there's a good chance that system responsiveness will fall off a cliff. In these situations I've seen things such as the task manager failing to refresh the process list, the start menu freezing, the Explorer shell freezing completely, task manager being unable to restart these processes in attempts to recover, and even certain programs like Chrome freezing up as well. At this point I'm not even sure if this is hardware related anymore, as I wasn't experiencing anything this serious when I was running LTSC previously on that system.

I'm at the point now where I have done the good old /sfc /scannow in an elevated command prompt, and Windows has found no system integrity issues, but these installations of Windows are very fresh so I'm not surprised it didn't find anything of violation. I'm almost tempted to go back to LTSC again, as I have been burned in the past by standard Windows 10 having serious stability issues. The only reason I installed a mainstream version recently, aside from the age of LTSC and what other improvements I mentioned above, was that my last experience with regular Windows 10 was in 2016, quite a long time ago. I had hoped things had improved since then with regards to stability and was willing to give it another chance, plus I figured version 2004 has been out for many months now and has had plenty of time to mature and stabilise, but my experience on three different systems in this very short time frame, with different hardware and software configurations, now leads me to believe otherwise and I'm not really sure what else to do from this point on. I definitely feel like I've been burned and I feel I'm very much SOL here, but if anyone has any good pointers as to what might be wrong exactly here, and the possible solutions, I'd very much appreciate the help.

System summary (my newer computer)
    • Self-built system dating back to 2019
    • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700
    • Memory: 32 GiB of DDR4 (max clock of 3200 MHz, but presently running at stock 2133 MHz as I've been troubleshooting things)
    • Motherboard: Asus B450i-Gaming
    • Boot drive: 250 GB Samsung 970 EVO Plus (NVMe)
    • Additional drives: 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO, 2 TB WD green (HDD)
    • Graphics: none at the moment (temporarily moved to my older system)
    • Power supply: Corsair SF600 Platinum (600 W, 80 Plus platinum model)

System summary (my older computer)
    • Self-built system dating back to 2012
    • CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1230v2
    • Memory: 16 GiB of DDR3 (running at 1600 MHz)
    • Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H
    • Boot drive: 1 TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA)
    • No additional drives aside from the DVD drive
    • Graphics: EVGA GTX 1660 Ti at present. Prior to this GPU swap I had my old Gigabyte GTX 970 installed here.
    • Power supply: Corsair TX750M (750 W, older 80 Plus bronze model)

System summary (sibling's computer)
    • Dell OptiPlex 9020 (small form factor model)
    • CPU: Intel Core i5-4670
    • Memory: 8 GiB of DDR3 (running at 1600 MHz)
    • Motherboard: standard Dell SFF OEM board
    • Boot drive: 500 GB Samsung 860 EVO
    • No additional drives aside from the DVD drive
    • Graphics: integrated Intel HD 4600
    • Power supply: standard Dell SFF OEM power supply (255 W, 80 Plus gold)

:)

Apocalypsing, Nov 1, 2020
  2. malware Win User

Windows Vista Compatibility, Reliability, and Stability Patch Released

Following the DirectX 9.0C November patch, Microsoft has also released a new update for Windows Vista that improves the compatibility, reliability, and stability of the OS. Download links for Vista 32-bit and Vista 64-bit.

This update includes the following improvements:
    • It extends the battery life for mobile devices.
    • It improves the stability of portable computers and of desktop computers that use an uninterruptable power supply (UPS).
    • It improves the reliability of Windows Vista when you open the menu of a startup application.
    • It improves the stability of wireless network services.
    • It shortens the startup time of Windows Vista by using a better timing structure.
    • It shortens the recovery time after Windows Vista experiences a period of inactivity.
    • It shortens the recovery time when you try to exit the Photos screen saver.
    • It improves the stability of Windows PowerShell.
    This update also resolves the following issues in Windows Vista:
    • A compatibility issue that affects some third-party antivirus software applications.
    • A reliability issue that occurs when a Windows Vista-based computer uses certain network driver configurations.
    Source: Microsoft

malware, Nov 1, 2020
  3. blzmn Win User
    2004 update windows 10 error 0x80070002

Hello everyone,

thanks to some of the suggestions here and to some from other sources I have managed to fix the 0x80070002 error breaking up my feature update to 2004.

For completeness' sake and since it may help others, the following steps worked for me.

1. Download Media Creation Tool from Microsoft's official website
    2. Create a bootable USB drive with the MCT
    3. Boot up from this USB Drive
    4. Choose install settings, click 'Next', but on the next screen select "Repair your computer" instead of "Install"
    5. Choose "Troubleshoot" -> "Startup Repair" and let it finish
    6. Restart into Windows and attempt the usual Windows update
    It looks like the BCD on my computer had been damaged by the boot loader (Windows 10 + Recovery partition) and running the "Startup Repair" from the installation USB Drive corrected the errors.

blzmn, Nov 1, 2020
  4. Three computers running Windows 10 2004, serious stability issues

Serious Updates Question

When you install a Feature Update, all Windows Updates since the release will be installed as well.

The installer tells you it's doing so.

At this time, there are multiple issues with Windows 10 2004.

I would suggest waiting a while, until the "list" gets shorter.

OldNavyGuy, Nov 1, 2020
Thema:

Three computers running Windows 10 2004, serious stability issues

1. Three computers running Windows 10 2004, serious stability issues - Similar Threads - Three computers running

2. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Serious Issue: Hi,I was trying to reset my PC yesterday but it got stuck at 39% for over 2 hours, then the power got cutted off. After I re-charged my PC, it showed me option to choose operating system for 2 times and later it restarted and got stucked in blinking page. Now it just turns on...
  3. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Serious Issue: Hi,I was trying to reset my PC yesterday but it got stuck at 39% for over 2 hours, then the power got cutted off. After I re-charged my PC, it showed me option to choose operating system for 2 times and later it restarted and got stucked in blinking page. Now it just turns on...
  4. Serious Issue

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. computer stability

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    computer stability: How do I check my computer for problems?....anyone have any idea plz contact me here..hindiscitech https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-stability/b2242ead-ffb3-4a53-b043-3ebd79838163
  6. Serious stability issues on three different computers running Windows 10 (version 2004)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Serious stability issues on three different computers running Windows 10 (version 2004): Hey all, I currently have Windows 10 version 2004 (build 19041.610 to be specific) running on three different computers in the house. Two of these computers are mine, with the third being a sibling's computer. On my main computer, I recently reinstalled Windows 10....
  7. Stability Issues With 5G WiFi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Stability Issues With 5G WiFi: I've been having recent issues with connectivity with my PC. New PC, new WiFi 6 adapter only about 4 months, but only the past week have I had this issue. I've been connected since I built this PC to my 5G WiFi faster download/upload, better connection in games, and the...
  8. Serious Windows 10 or Display issue?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Serious Windows 10 or Display issue?: I tried playing The Wolf Among Us on Steam last night, swapping the primary display to my second screen a ~2015 tv and bumping up the resolution in game. The computer began lagging, requiring me to end the task but the game ran fine on second attempt. Since then I have...
  9. Windows 10 serious issues

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 serious issues: Hey guys, bit of a lengthy one here but we'd appreciate your help So, the past couple of days we've been having real issues with our Compaq CQ2000 PC with Windows 10 installed on it (upgraded from windows 8 about 2 years ago). First issue I noticed was a massive graphical...
  10. Windows 10 Serious Performance Issues

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Serious Performance Issues: Okay so i know the title is a little vague, but i honestly don't think its just one thing that is wrong with my machine. I've tried everything i can think of but cant get anywhere with it so here i am, i'll describe the problem as best i can. Im running Windows 10 on my...