Windows 10: Three licenses necessary for each PC running a 16-bit application?

Discus and support Three licenses necessary for each PC running a 16-bit application? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have to deal with an old 16 application that has to run on new Windows-10-64-Bit PCs. Unfortunately, the 16-bit environment NTVDM is on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Jan M.Coenen, Jul 15, 2020.

1. Three licenses necessary for each PC running a 16-bit application?

I have to deal with an old 16 application that has to run on new Windows-10-64-Bit PCs. Unfortunately, the 16-bit environment NTVDM is on 64-Bit-Windows no longer available. So I had to install Hyper-V and a Windows-10-32-Bit-VM where the program now executes. To be able to use Hyper-V, I have upgraded the PCs from OEM-Home to Professional. But the VM I installed was a 90-day-trail version that I loaded from the Microsoft-Web. Now it has expired and I tried slmgr /rearm to extend the period. Now my question is, do I have to buy a third Windows license for each VM, or can I activate the VM with the former OEM license or with the current professional license of the host system? Or is there a different solution? This is getting disproportionate costly.

:)

Jan M.Coenen, Jul 15, 2020

2. How to run a 16-bit application on Windows10

Hi,

unfortunately 64-bit Windows does not have 16-bit API from the very beginning so such applications can be run only from virtual machine with 32-bit Windows (separate license is required).

Igor Leyko, Jul 15, 2020
  3. Nikhar_K Win User
    No Input Devices when Installing 16-bit Program

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand that when you are trying to install a 16-bit program you are unable to use the keyboard or mouse, we will look into this for you. However, we would like to know which application are you trying to install.

As you have already tried installing the program in Compatibility mode and enabled NTVDM, I suggest you to change the properties for Command Prompt and check if that allows you to install the program.

Please follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Open Command Prompt.
    2. Right click on the title Command Prompt and click on
      Properties.
    3. Select the checkbox for Use legacy console (requires relaunch) and click on
      OK.
    4. Close and re-open Command Prompt.
    Now, trying installing the program.

If you are using Windows 10 Pro, you can use Group Policy editor to change the settings for 16-bit applications. Follow the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + R, to open
      Run
      dialog box.
    2. Type gpedit.msc and click on
      OK
    3. Now, expand Computer Configuration.
    4. Expand Administrative templates and then,
      Windows Components.
    5. Click on Application Compatibility.
    6. On the right-pane, double click on Prevent access to 16-bit applications.
    7. Click on Disabled and click on
      OK
    8. If prompted, restart the computer.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to post your query in
    TechNet forums
    , where we have support professionals who are well equipped with the knowledge on installing 16-bit applications to assist you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Jul 15, 2020
  4. Amit_Sun Win User

Three licenses necessary for each PC running a 16-bit application?

Windows 10 - change from 8-bit to 16-bit

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

May I know, if you are trying to run the program in Windows 10 as Reduced color mode from 8-bit to 16-bit, or you are trying to change the video settings within the software itself?

If you are trying to run the software in reduce color mode, you can follow the steps below.

Method 1: Change Reduced color mode through compatibility settings.

1. Right click on the program icon.
    2. Click on Properties
    3. Click on Compatibility tab.
    4. Check Reduced color mode from the settings.
    5. Change the color mode from
      8-bit color to 16-bit color

Method 2: Edit Video with Roxio.

If you are trying to change the settings within the software, I suggest you refer this article to

edit video with Roxio

If you have any further question regarding the settings on the software, I suggest you get in touch with the
    Roxio Support, for better solution.

Additional information:
    Editing and Enhancing with Roxio

Hope it helps.

Amit Sunar

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Amit_Sun, Jul 15, 2020
Thema:

Three licenses necessary for each PC running a 16-bit application?

1. Three licenses necessary for each PC running a 16-bit application? - Similar Threads - Three licenses necessary

2. Unsupported 16-Bit Application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unsupported 16-Bit Application: For the last couple of weeks this message Unsupported 16-Bit Application \AppData\Local\Temp\ErrorReport.exe has been coming on my computer. Everytime I try to close it it only keeps on popping back up. How can I get rid of this popup once and for all?...
  3. Unsupported 16-Bit Application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unsupported 16-Bit Application: For the last couple of weeks this message Unsupported 16-Bit Application \AppData\Local\Temp\ErrorReport.exe has been coming on my computer. Everytime I try to close it it only keeps on popping back up. How can I get rid of this popup once and for all?...
  4. Unsupported 16-Bit Application

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unsupported 16-Bit Application: hello, my pc running on windows 10 each 2/3/4/5 minitues a dialogue box upcoming at my display popupUnsupported 16 Bit ApplicationThe program of features\\??\\C\user\appdata\temp\eclient.exe\\??\\C\user\appdata\temp\mclient.exelike this i have tried any malware, deleted these...
  5. Unsupported 16-Bit Application

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unsupported 16-Bit Application: hello, my pc running on windows 10 each 2/3/4/5 minitues a dialogue box upcoming at my display popupUnsupported 16 Bit ApplicationThe program of features\\??\\C\user\appdata\temp\eclient.exe\\??\\C\user\appdata\temp\mclient.exelike this i have tried any malware, deleted these...
  6. Unsupported 16-Bit Application

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. Running 16-bit applications on Windows 10 64-bit - Proof of concept

in Windows 10 News
    Running 16-bit applications on Windows 10 64-bit - Proof of concept: luisdem Microsoft [ATTACH] I wrote this post as a proof of concept and as a best effort to make a 16-bit application run on Windows 10 64-bit. It will be demonstrated how to use a third-part open source framework called otya128 – winevdm, how to use MSIX, UWP...
  8. Unsupported 16 bit application

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unsupported 16 bit application: hello dear support, I got problem windows 10 with this issue, when my windows startup, I got received message Unsupported 16-bit application, IDK how to fix that? I tire to fix solution, idk its a virus or something [ATTACH]...
  9. Unsupported 16-Bit Application

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Unsupported 16-Bit Application: Hey there I'm tring to run Nerf Jr. Foam Blaster: Attack of the Kleptons see https://nerf.fandom.com/wiki/Nerf_Jr._Foam_Blaster:_Attack_of_the_Kleptons! on my laptop and I got this error Unsupported 16-Bit Application The program or feature "\??\E:\SETUP.EXE" cannot start...
  10. How to run a 16-bit application on Windows10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to run a 16-bit application on Windows10: Hello, I would like to install a 16-bit application on Windows10 (64-bit version) Thank you for advice. Agnes https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-run-a-16-bit-application-on-windows10/25c08c19-398d-4155-b484-cf83473f2525