Windows 10: THREE Recovery partitions?

Discus and support THREE Recovery partitions? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Is this normal? [img] I would think ONE would be enough? Kevin 34890 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by kkorotev, Dec 22, 2015.

1. kkorotev Win User

THREE Recovery partitions?

Is this normal?

THREE Recovery partitions? [​IMG]

I would think ONE would be enough?
    Kevin

:)

kkorotev, Dec 22, 2015
  2. John582n Win User

Black screen after boot since Sept 11th

Can you force start it in recovery mode then start in Safe mode?

Start Windows 10 Recovery mode using three consecutive power-ups (ie power up, when you see the Windows logo and/or rotating circles, power down by holding down the power button for three seconds). Do this three times - if this works you should see
    Recovery mode.

If that doesn't work, try rapidly pressing F8 as you power up and see if that triggers Recovery screen.

In Recovery mode, get to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup settings, Restart then select option 4 (Safe mode)

John582n, Dec 22, 2015
  3. John582n Win User
    Windows not starting after May update

See if it works in Safe mode

Start Windows 10 Recovery mode using three consecutive power-ups (ie power up, when you see the Windows logo and/or rotating circles, power down by holding down the power button for three seconds). Do this three times - if this works you should see
    Recovery mode.

If that doesn't work, try rapidly pressing F8 as you power up and see if that triggers Recovery screen.

In Recovery mode, get to Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup settings, Restart then select option 4 (Safe mode)

John582n, Dec 22, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

One is more than enough for one instance of Windows.

You could run reagentc /info to see which is being used and delete the other two.

Are you dual booting though? I see your picture says disk 2. If you are then they could be recovery partitions for different instances.

5. kkorotev Win User
    My C:/ drive (SSD) has always been labeled #2...I have no idea why.

I am not dual booting per se. I use Macrium Reflect and do have the option at bootup to enter ITS recovery mode.

Does that mean I keep the last 2? The reagentc /info command produced this:
    C:\WINDOWS\system32>reagentc /info
    Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE) and system reset configuration
    Information:

Windows RE status: Enabled
    Windows RE location: \\?\GLOBALROOT\device\harddisk2\partition3\Recovery\WindowsRE
    Boot Configuration Data (BCD) identifier: 0cf1e747-9791-11e5-8c85-40e23015522f
    Recovery image location:
    Recovery image index: 0
    Custom image location:
    Custom image index: 0

REAGENTC.EXE: Operation Successful.

Thanks for all your help, lx07

kkorotev, Dec 22, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    This is the interesting part:
    You'd have to compare to diskpart to be sure (as some partitions don't show in disk management screen) - enter

• diskpart
    • select disk 2
    • list partition
    You will either see partition 3 is the first of the 450 MB recovery partitions ( which means the last 2 are not used) or it is your 110GB C partition (which means none of them are used).

The standard layout for EFI is something like this Code: DISKPART> select disk 0 Disk 0 is now the selected disk. DISKPART> list partition Partition ### Type Size Offset ------------- ---------------- ------- ------- Partition 1 Recovery 450 MB 20 KB (this is Recovery) Partition 2 System 100 MB 450 MB (this is EFI) Partition 3 Reserved 16 MB 551 MB (this reserved partition isn't shown in Disk Management) Partition 4 Primary 110 GB 567 MB (this is C drive)[/quote] My guess is that each time you upgraded (from 7 or 8 to 10 and then from 10 build 10240 to build 10586) it is making a new recovery partition as it doesn't find it where it expects it.

You could shuffle the partitions order around with MiniTool Partition Wizard (you would have to reregister WinRE with reagentc after) or as you use Macrium just delete them all if you are short of space. If the first of the 3 is being used you'd need to move it anyway to expand C drive. If you aren't short of space could of course just leave them as they are fairly small.

Let us know what (if anything) you'd like to do...

7. Word Man Win User
    OP's report of partition 3 also seems to imply they have no MSR on this disk (if it's pointing at the first WinRE) - that's normally between EFI and OS, isn't it?

Would really need to see diskpart / list par from OP to clarify situation.

Word Man, Dec 22, 2015
  8. lx07 Win User

If the MSR exists in the normal place between EFI and C then partition 3 is C drive (WinRE can be registered on C drive).

If MSR doesn't exist in normal place (or at all) then partition 3 is the first of the recovery partitions so yes, need to check diskpart.

9. kkorotev Win User
    Thanks very much, I will definitely get back to you...

kkorotev, Dec 22, 2015
  10. kkorotev Win User
    You guys are out of my league, but here's what I get:

THREE Recovery partitions? [​IMG]

kkorotev, Dec 23, 2015
  11. Word Man Win User
    1) So you have no MSR (Microsoft Reserved Paritition) which is normally part of the GUID Partition Table (GPT) disk layout. This may or may not be a problem down the road - opinions will vary widely - but I realize this isn't part of your question up to this point.

2) Partitions 4 & 5 are not in use. You could then follow-up on next to last paragraph in lx07's post # 4.

Word Man, Dec 23, 2015
  12. kkorotev Win User
    Thanks, Word Man. I'll see if Ix07 responds before doing anything drastic.
    I completed a full back-up a few minutes ago, just in case *Wink

kkorotev, Dec 23, 2015
  13. lx07 Win User

You can delete partitions 4 and 5. Then with mini-tool partition magic you can move partition 3 all the way to the left and expand C to get the extra 900MB.

As @Word Man says you should have a 16MB MSR partition between partitions 2 and 3. I'm a bit vague on what this is for. MS says it is for "future use" or some such thing Windows and GPT FAQ - Windows 10 hardware dev

I'd leave it for now if your system is OK - if it causes a problem in future you can think about it then. If you did want to do it now you would have to delete partitions 4 and 5, move partition 3 all the way to the left, expand C to use all of the unallocated space except 16mb, then move C all the way to the left. Then make a MSR in the 16MB unallocated space which would then exist between partitions 1 and 2 and finally re-register WinRE in partition 4. It is certainly possible but a bit fiddly.

14. kkorotev Win User
    Thanks, I'll let you know what happens!

kkorotev, Dec 23, 2015
  15. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Quite likely because the sata cables are reversed.

Windows setup recreates a Recovery partition each time a new OS install is done. It leaves the old recovery partition(s) alone as it "thinks" they may be needed should you decide to roll back the new OS to a previous version.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 23, 2015
Thema:

1. THREE Recovery partitions? - Similar Threads - THREE Recovery partitions

2. Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovery partition: Hi, I want to see what's inside this partition.And can I format it like with the Windows 11 installation media?How can I explore this partition? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-partition/69a1d18e-cc4c-40cd-a22d-4304ded8c1ff
  3. Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Recovery partition: Hi, I want to see what's inside this partition.And can I format it like with the Windows 11 installation media?How can I explore this partition? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-partition/69a1d18e-cc4c-40cd-a22d-4304ded8c1ff
  4. Partition Recovery

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Partition Recovery: Hi! I recently came upon this post: Data lost on my backup drive -Minitool disk recovery that discussed what appears to be a problem similar to one I'm experiencing with my WD MyBook 2TB external hard drive. The drive suddenly disappeared from File Explorer...and when I...
  5. Recovery partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Recovery partition: Hi all, After recent Windows updates my disk0 C: has now only 16GB of space. disk1 D: has 850 GB. Is there a way to move some of this from D: to C: ?? Thanks John https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/recovery-partition/8efef761-2f1d-49e8-85a6-3e4b4fade16f
  6. Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Partition: Please read through to the bottom. I have 2 questions there. This is in relation to comments on threads https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unused-11gb-recovery-partition/24a7cbbe-960a-490f-b916-e07eba32281e and...
  7. Do I need three recovery partitions?

in Windows 10 Support
    Do I need three recovery partitions?: Ideally I want to consolidate space in my C: drive so I can make a small Linux installation. I'm just wondering if these three recovery partitions are necessary. Also would installing the small Linux partition on my storage drive be an feasible option? [img] 152645
  8. recovery partition

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    recovery partition: A friend asked this and I didn't have an answer, mainly because I use Macrium reflect and image the whole drive. He was playing around with an Acer Desktop and deleted the recovery partition. His only other computer is an Hp laptop. Both latest Win 10 versions. The Laptop has...
  9. Recovery Partition

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Recovery Partition: A while ago I installed windows on my Samsung SSD drive and its Recovery Partition was created on the second HDD internal hard drive. After a Force Shutdown, the SSD drive failed and I had to replace it with another Kingston SSD drive. It was not possible to recover...
  10. recovery partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    recovery partition: My hp laptop suddenly threw up a twirling recovering disc image. Now many of my apps like Edge and others don't work. When I look at disc management I see my C drive has a recovery partition. How do I make use of this?...