Windows 10: Three tries to download and install Windows 10

Discus and support Three tries to download and install Windows 10 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Just wasted over 2 hours trying to download and install Windows 10, after receiving my notice to download. After the 1st download and install... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Coastalguy, Aug 6, 2015.

1. Three tries to download and install Windows 10

Just wasted over 2 hours trying to download and install Windows 10, after receiving my notice to download. After the 1st download and install preparation, received the error 80070003, after which I ran the update troubleshooter which displayed it fixed 3 problems. Selected the retry, which then went through the entire download and install preparation, after which it again failed with the same error. I then did a search for this error, which advised (and which I did), stop the Windows update service, deleted all of the files in the Windows/Download folder, and restarted the service. Again did the retry, which again went through the download and install preparation, again failing for the 3rd time with the same error.

I have a 6 month old, HP 714-200 Envy PC, with 8.1 with a 1TB hard drive that has more than 1/2 of it available, along with 12 Gig of RAM.

If Microsoft can't get this straight, I guess I am staying with 8.1..... Totally frustrated.*Sleepy

:)

Coastalguy, Aug 6, 2015
  2. mortndann Win User

Windows 10 Installation Failure Simply Does Reboot to Windows 7

Windows 10 upgrade says download complete and to schedule to install or install now. Have tried three times to install and it simply shuts down and restarts computer in Windows 7.

mortndann, Aug 6, 2015
  3. Upgraded some hardware before Win 10. Want to re run compatability

I HAVE DOWNLOADED 10 THREE TIMES AND TRIED TO INSTALL IT WHEN COMPUTER RESTARTS IT'S STILL WINDOWS 7 IS THERE A FIX FOR THAT

Thanks Randy

RandyWheaton, Aug 6, 2015
  4. bobkn Win User

Three tries to download and install Windows 10

Have you tried the Media Creation Tool?

Windows 10

My choice was to download the .iso. Mount the .iso (8.1 does it natively) and run the upgrade from that.

Not guaranteed to work, but it may prevent you from download a few gigabytes of files more than once more.

The upgrade you perform using this is the same as the one you'd have gotten through the online reservation. No worries there.

bobkn, Aug 6, 2015
  5. BobKN,

Just wanted to clarify using an iso format. I found the Media Creation tool where you can download the iso and also create a DVD. Besides doing an upgrade directly from my active 8.1, I also would like to create a separate Windows 10 OS on another partition, with dual boot, which I believe requires a DVD to load during bootup?

My question is, if I download just the .iso, can it be used both to upgrade from an active Windows 8.1 session, and also can I burn it to a DVD and install a separate version of it on boot, to another partition using dual boot?

Or, is the DVD version different than the iso used to upgrade from an active 8.1 session (basically, do I have to download each separately)? If so, I have 2 PC's (one 64 bit and one 32 bit), meaning I would have to do 4 downloads???

Lastly, if I set up a separate dual boot of Windows 10, can I use the same product key as my current 8.1 system?

Coastalguy, Aug 7, 2015
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Yes, you can use it to upgrade or clean install.

YOu need to do 2 downloads, one 32 bit and one 64 bit.

Ztruker, Aug 7, 2015
  7. Wow, you are fast. I just edited my post to also ask if I can use the same product key for both the upgrade and clean install (over the existing 8.1 or on another partition)?

Coastalguy, Aug 7, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Windows 10 installer will verify you have a valid OS to upgrade. You will not have to enter a key. If asked, click on Skip.

Note: You don't get a unique key with Windows 10, all upgrades use the same key, one for Home and one for Pro. Verification with Windows 10 is done differently and is based on a hardware has tag stored on the Microsoft servers.

No idea how Windows 10 retail is going to work yet.

Ztruker, Aug 7, 2015
  9. Basically, so it checks my PC hardware ID against a tag on Microsoft servers? I assume then, that a single ISO can be used to upgrade or install more than one W10 as long as it is on the same PC?

Coastalguy, Aug 7, 2015
  10. So, ran the Media Creation Tool, and downloaded the iso to my hard drive. After message that it was creating the media, I clicked on Finish. Looked at the file downloaded and all there was was the iso file, not any setup.exe that the instructions advise to run to perform the upgrade.

I burned it to a DVD using my Roxio Burning software, and again no setup.exe. I haven't a clue what I am doing wrong, and the instructions for the Media Creation Tool is the pits. Can anyone on this forum actually provide the steps I need to do to get the iso burned to a DVD, rather than just fast "general" posts that assume we are all experts on this...???

Coastalguy, Aug 7, 2015
  11. amygdule Win User
    You need to burn the ISO as an Image, not a Data disc.
    The "windows-usb-dvd-download-tool" works well for me on Win 7.
    Windows USB/DVD Download Tool - Microsoft Store

amygdule, Aug 7, 2015
  12. That did the trick.... burning it as an image. Thank you so much.

Dave*Cool*Cool

Coastalguy, Aug 7, 2015
  13. tamo Win User

good for you Dave , ive just saw your thread , awesome when it works out *Biggrin

14. tamo Win User
  15. I was just saying that burning to a DVD as an image, burned it successfully. However, I haven't tried to use the DVD to upgrade to W10 yet, so I may be back it that doesn't work out. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Coastalguy, Aug 8, 2015
Thema:

1. Three tries to download and install Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Three tries download

2. Trying to download Win 10 and perform a clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Trying to download Win 10 and perform a clean install: I have a HP desktop computer, 1 yr old.Previously I have seen many errors on my computer and a friend of mine told me that I should do a clean install of my system, which doesn't thrill me at all. I am having trouble with downloading an iso file for the media creation tool....
  3. Trying to download Win 10 and perform a clean install

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Trying to download Win 10 and perform a clean install: I have a HP desktop computer, 1 yr old.Previously I have seen many errors on my computer and a friend of mine told me that I should do a clean install of my system, which doesn't thrill me at all. I am having trouble with downloading an iso file for the media creation tool....
  4. Trying to download Win 10 and perform a clean install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Trying to download windows installer on USB

Trying to download windows installer on USB: i was just playing a game on my laptop when suddenly the whole system froze and turned off. upon trying to restart, windows never comes back. trying to start up repair takes over 48 hours for nothing to happen. trying other repair methods do nothing too. so my last resort is...
  6. Trying to download/install iCloud for Windows 10

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Trying to download/install iCloud for Windows 10: Hi, I'm trying to download and install iCloud for Windows 10. The Microsoft store is telling me that I own this app, so cannot install it - but I haven't downloaded it before to my memory, and can't find it saved or installed anywhere on my PC. Has anyone had this issue, or...
  7. trying to download windows 10

trying to download windows 10: I'm trying to download windows 10 need help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/trying-to-download-windows-10/a3a2815b-9812-4f9e-8a21-6dcbcdad49dd
  8. Trying to download Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to download Windows 10: I’m trying to download Windows 10, and for some reason it keeps telling me that Symantec AntiVirus Detection keeps finding a Trojan. When I go to the risk details to tells me that it was quarantined. I’ve tried deleting this file, and it is located within Windows.~Ws\sources....
  9. Is there a PC that will install windows 10 1803 - my three won't

Is there a PC that will install windows 10 1803 - my three won't: What make/model of PC is there that will install windows 10 1803 - my three won't. I posted a month ago about my main computer failing 103 times to install 1803 Now it is broken completely. It just flashes 'restoring previous version of windows' then powers off and back on...
  10. Trying to Download windows 10 to USB

in Windows 10 Support
    Trying to Download windows 10 to USB: I'm trying to download windows 10 to a USB drive. When I'm prompted to the area where I must select the USB drive to install windows on, the software isn't able to identify that I have a USB plugged in. It just says no devices found. My pc however recognizes that I have a USB...